PDA

View Full Version : Any Subaru Techs in here??

Plum Crazy
06-08-2010, 09:39 PM
I recently bought a 1996 Subaru Legacy Sedan AWD and it needs front C/V shafts. I looked up the labor on Alldata and it said 1.7 total for both sides. Can someone give me the jist of the removal and any tips. It has 188k on it, but its not severly rusted. Thanks.

1320PNY
06-08-2010, 10:38 PM
I got a 1995 Legacy LSi and had them done two years ago at Don Jacobs. It was $155 done with labor. I know you can fix cars, so I would assume without labor it is dirt cheap. The only issue is they put in the aftermarket version of the factory Subaru parts. I talked to my tech friend (lives in MI, we were neighbors and best friends in H.S.) and he said don't waste your time unless you use genuine Subaru parts. He was right, mine click now and probably will need to be done in the next 10K miles.

I don't know how to do them, which is what you asked, but anything I have done on this car was simple. I would say just get the parts and start taking the car apart. With your experience, you'll have no issues.

I did my alternator on Friday on the corner of Lisbon and Calhoon. It took 5 minutes to pull it out. Took longer for the guy at Advanced to lookup the part and hand it to me. Took about 10 minutes to put back in, as the new casting didn't fit great and I had to file some.

These cars are simple to work on.

RanJer
06-08-2010, 11:17 PM
Agree with get the parts and do it on your own, it comes apart the same as it goes in and it's not difficult. If you need a hand just lmk.

Drivinhard
06-09-2010, 04:55 PM
It is a piece of cake. The hardest part is the roll pins. roll pins are on trans side of axles. Take lower ball joint nut off and the axle nut off, swing strut and knucke to the side get underneath tap roll pin out slide axle off splines. Reverse to install. You can use a punch but it is easier to use a roll pin punch (if you need roll pin punch go to farm and fleet, its cheap.)

brotherbenn83
06-09-2010, 05:07 PM
Why didn't you look up the service procedure when you were in Alldata? Looks pretty straight forward with some easy to follow pictures...

sloLs1
06-09-2010, 05:54 PM
It is a piece of cake. The hardest part is the roll pins. roll pins are on trans side of axles. Take lower ball joint nut off and the axle nut off, swing strut and knucke to the side get underneath tap roll pin out slide axle off splines. Reverse to install. You can use a punch but it is easier to use a roll pin punch (if you need roll pin punch go to farm and fleet, its cheap.)

pretty much what he said