PDA

View Full Version : Strasburg Debut

Karps TA
06-08-2010, 07:53 PM
Anyone watching this kid? Incredible.

7 innings 14 strikeouts, struck out 6 in a row. Kid throws 100mph fastball and has just a knee buckling curveball.

He had 1 bad pitch that cost him 2 runs early, but shutdown right after that.

Most impressive debut I've ever seen in any sport.

Lash
06-08-2010, 07:56 PM
That curveball is nasty.

Considering how the rest of their schedule lines up.... he could have one heck of a season.

PB86MCSS
06-08-2010, 08:35 PM
Glad I acquired him in fantasy baseball right after our draft :D . Didn't expect this kind of dominating though, even if it is the Pirates. I'm sure he'll hit a few bumps in the road but he looks damn good.

DirtyMax
06-08-2010, 08:38 PM
I offered a shit ton of good players for him yesterday in a potential trade but the owner thought he was worth CC and Pujols. He may be good, but he aint that good..... :alcoholic

70challenger452
06-08-2010, 10:37 PM
This kid is a stud and is going to simply light up the league.

jbiscuit
06-09-2010, 07:39 AM
awesome outing for sure. Would like to see how his second outing goes. Fanning 14 is no easy feat!

Nix
06-09-2010, 09:55 AM
I was impressed for sure. That kid is awesome, I do question how long his arm/elbow will be able to sustaine that hard of throwig and abuse? Time will tell

I heard his rookie card the only one made went for around 16k on a ebay auction!!

wikked
06-09-2010, 11:31 AM
Remember though... it was the Pirates.

Let's see how he does against a major league club :rolf

flyin_blue_egg
06-09-2010, 12:20 PM
^^yea but don't forget he's only 21 and made only like 30 something starts between college and the minors...he went like 29-9 275 innings (approx.), almost 300K and a WHIP of .80

PB86MCSS
06-10-2010, 08:40 PM
I wanted him in our draft if he went cheap, ended up making a blockbuster with him included right after the draft. I wasn't expecting this nor will he keep this up but he should be a top guy and turn into the best if not in the top few, barring blowing up his arm.

brotherbenn83
08-30-2010, 05:29 PM
Career now over. The Ben Sheets of the Nationals for sure...

PB86MCSS
08-30-2010, 05:45 PM
Not so fast. Look at the pitchers who have had TJ surgery in the last few years, I think about 6-7 were All-Stars this year alone, with two of the top NL starters, Johnson and Hudson among them. Sucks for that franchise and the sport/fans though, but it's not the career ender it was back in the 80's.

Nix
08-30-2010, 05:48 PM
^^^ Agreed 100%. Actually sometimes if not everytime they come back throwing harder. Capuano has had several I believe and he is doing pretty decent. That is just a small example.

Point is that hopefully he reacts well to the surgery and he comes back. If not so be it.

Lash
08-30-2010, 09:05 PM
Capuano has had several I believe and he is doing pretty decent. That is just a small example.

:rolf

His ERA is over 5.0
He was never that good to begin with though.

Either way... TJ is NOT something you want to have done that early in your career. Especially for somebody who is that dependant on throwing hard. He better start working on his breaking pitches. ;)

Nix
08-30-2010, 09:13 PM
I don't recall saying he was a super star or the next roger clemens. As I stated above it was an example.

My point was that players DO come back from a TJ surgery.

hrsp
08-31-2010, 08:04 AM
i hope he can come back and be healthy...id like to see him pitch for many years to come...

Prince Valiant
08-31-2010, 09:41 AM
Tommy John surgery is usually around 85-90% successful in major league pitcher...plus, it'll probably do his arm good to rest a year or so given how much he's been throwing to get to this point.

It's not terribly unusual for a pitcher that is this good this young to have problems with his elbow...the young throwing athlete is a particular problem in athletics. Many of these kids throw way more than they should at such a young age that it places so much stress on the both the relatively elastic soft tissue, and even changes the shape of the developing bone which these soft tissues attach to.

It's generally recommended to keep pitchers 14 and under to less than 40 pitches, then 4 days rest. 15 y/o should not exceed 60 then 4 days, 16 y/o 70 w/ 4 days rest, 17 y/o 80 w/ 4 days, and 18 y/o 100 w/ 4 days rest...

...this is more restrictive than many others recommend, but really is in the best interest of the athlete. A side benefit is that at the younger age, it makes you put everyone on the mound...forces more to develop strong throwing skills, which should be the emphasis of youth programs.

yet in many travel teams, or among the guys that play year round, it's not unusual to see pitchers throw 3 or more times a week, and oftentimes the whole game...especially in tourney's where they may pitch a semi one day and final the next. My guess is that Strasburg probably fit this mold to a tee.

wikked
08-31-2010, 01:15 PM
I don't recall saying he was a super star or the next roger clemens.

You might not have, but every leg humper in the sports biz was saying it :goof