PDA

View Full Version : Long Tubes not fitting? Need some help/advice

unforgiven302
06-24-2004, 10:44 PM
I'll try to keep this as short as possible. Last fall, I ordered 1 5/8 BBK LT's, along with a short O/R H pipe. At the same time, I bought a set of gt-40 irons from a guy in chicago, who offered to install all of them for a good price. About a month after this, I blow a header gasket...then the other one...so I let it sit for most of the winter, until I can get some cash in the spring(I used to work seasonally) to fix it. I was able to replace the passenger side header gasket myself, since I could pull the header back about 1 inch and slip the new one in...but the passenger side I had no luck whatsoever; wouldn't go back a 1/2 inch even. I took it to Fast Times and they say they had to remove the h pipe to be able to move the LT's around to get at that gasket. He also says those long tubes weren't fitting like they should, that they probably weren't for my year, that I should get new ones...wtf? I just bought them in november, they shipped me the right headers. Can you mess up an install of long tubes that badly where they seem to be fine but do what I describe? I don't know where to turn, I can't afford new long tubes with installation...I just ordered an american thunder catback which came via fedex today, so that is waiting to be installed...and he also said to install a new catback I'd have to remove the H pipe. What is going on here?? I'm not sure where to go next, appreciate any advice or if any local mustang guys want to take a quick peek...

Cryptic
06-24-2004, 11:05 PM
most of our mustang crowd hangs out at CPONYGO

http://www.cponygo.com/main/index.php

unforgiven302
06-24-2004, 11:08 PM
:thumbsup good deal, thanks

SlowStee
06-24-2004, 11:16 PM
always good to cover all grounds :thumbsup

Yooformula
06-24-2004, 11:27 PM
My guess would be either the headers got bent somehow during install OR most likely culprit the headers were wrong from the get go. Either they werent meant for those heads or the shop simply gave you the wrong part numbers. I guess you could call the supplier and ask what applications those headers would fit if you have a receipt or it there is a stamping on them. Might want to order some headers that you KNOW fit those GT40 heads and just sell the old ones on ebay or on a forum.

scubastang
06-24-2004, 11:39 PM
so your saying they aren't fitting the ports on the gt40s or the car??? I am too tired and lazy to read back through. YOohoos right, they could have been damaged or warped etc. only other ones are sn95s and they would not fit. I have had to jack up the side of the motor to put in LT before.....PITA!!! Never again! I might have a chance to stop by and take a peak this wknd but its Summerfest so i will most likely be in no condition to drive most of the weekend :alcoholic :alcoholic

unforgiven302
06-24-2004, 11:41 PM
Oh, they fit the ports just fine...but I guess they're pinned on the passenger side. He just said eventually the gaskets will just blow again and to buy a new set of long tubes. I thought only the gt-40p heads needed specific headers?

scubastang
06-25-2004, 09:48 AM
Oh, they fit the ports just fine...but I guess they're pinned on the passenger side. He just said eventually the gaskets will just blow again and to buy a new set of long tubes. I thought only the gt-40p heads needed specific headers?

Yes GT40Ps :puke shitty heads, TSF Hiports, TSF Rs, and canted heads need special headers. What do you mean "pinned"? When i've put in new headers, I buff the site of the head till its smooth/flat with a light scotch pad(the rubber comb looking ones work really good from napa cause they are soft enough to not take away metal) and then also I typically get the header port flanges milled flat at a local machine shop for cheap. Then I use copper gaskets and RTV (gotta love the rtv heheh)

Its gonna either seal or not...get some locking allen SS header bolts (stock BBK bolts suck ass anyways) and do the above and if it still doesn't seal then your SOL. From my experience, LT on foxes hit some bellhousing like a lakewood. I have not seen them hit the frame rails at all on the pass side though (its always tight but no)?

I would say unbolt the h-pipe, do what I suggested above and torque those puppies down and then go from there. If they are still hitting sell them and get some new BBKs or get some real ones like Bassani, or just get some shorties and new h-pipe

help? :rockwoot:

unforgiven302
06-25-2004, 02:43 PM
I think he was just blowing up my skirt...I tightened the bolts all back down last night after some driving, only a few needed it a bit. It's sealed and running like it should as far as I can tell. Thanks for the help, I'll post if anything else pops up. BTW I had a nightmare last night that I bought gt-40p heads with the wrong headers hah

SlowStee
06-26-2004, 05:07 PM
UPDATE:: the guys at Fast Times are :gay :durr

scubastang
06-27-2004, 09:32 PM
UPDATE:: the guys at Fast Times are :gay :durr

what do you mean? I am serious, did they rip you off or do they not know their stuff?

SlowStee
06-28-2004, 12:21 AM
well they charged unforgiven203 $260 to do a few hours of work, when he was quoted $60 for them to simply change the passenger side header gasket.....they felt they needed to take the H pipe off and futz with the headers, to simply tell him they were not the right size headers...then they pointlessly welded the catback to the h pipe (he had them fix the smog hose, and they also decided to fix the catback leak?)......they did all these hours of work without calling him or notifying him....from everyone he has talked to on different forums, the bolts simply need to be tightened every so miles, because the bolts decompress themselves the first miles put on them....did i also mention they never asked him if he wanted the catback welded? he was having it swapped with a new one that had just been delivered the next day(Midas was doing that) .......i can speak for both of us when we say fast times = :bsflag :durr .......things just dont add up about what they did and said...