PDA

View Full Version : Craigslist pays off...eventualy!

Russ Jerome
06-01-2010, 02:10 PM
Been hunting down cheap/free Lannon stone for a firepit I had started building (Russtech overkill obviously!) with little luck, "free stone" is already gone or loose rubble and crap. "For sale stone" has been higher than they get at Halquist new or you have to haul it up a hill and thru a parking lot to load...grrr.
Today I call on "$40 a pallot Lannon stone", lady says "As much as your truck will hold for $40". Well you never seen a 3/4 ton leaf sprung 4x4 jump into action so quick!

Me: Hi Im here for the $40 a load Lannon stone.
Her: Wow thats a very large truck, basicaly anything you see you can grab.

Its an old house getting rehabbed and the entire property is done in Lannon stone, retaining walls, outcroppings, patio and more loose. I hand her $40 quickly and begin to grab the Snapstring Lannon block, these are 4' long cut stone and any LARGE peices of outcropping stone. 20 minutes into loading and her husband or the wheel man rolls up:

Wheelman: Whoa whoa wait a minute thats not what we are selling!
Me: Listed the chick said everything here, one truck load for $40.
Wheelman: Well that stone right there is $20 each at the quarry.
Me: Jeez thats a lot of work unlaoding it for my $40 back?
Wheelman: Ok well listen leave the stuff out front.
Me OK, no problem I will hit the back pile (knowing there is more good stuff in pile).

Lets just say I ran out of energy before my old school truck did, got enough choice stone to make some built in seating from Lannon stone while completing the pit this week. Oh and the ad was pulled!

wikked
06-01-2010, 02:52 PM
Hate that when people show up that know what things are worth before you can get the hell out of there :l