PDA

View Full Version : "I use that new GM coolant"

fivonut
05-31-2010, 05:07 PM
Thats what the guy told me about the coolant when I bought my 00. Today I decided to flush it and what do ya know, the ugliest brown crap I've ever seen came out of there. So unless GM's "new coolant" it rusty water, I'm pretty sure he was full of shit. Which, based on other half assed work I've found in the car, I'm going with, "he's full of shit". I've always been a believer in anything worth doing is worth doing right. Why do people have to half ass shit!?!?!

Gregor
05-31-2010, 05:41 PM
So he mixed coolant types on the car? Some people don't know there are like 4 types of coolant these days.

Ah the joy of buying used.

fivonut
05-31-2010, 05:52 PM
So he mixed coolant types on the car? Some people don't know there are like 4 types of coolant these days.

Ah the joy of buying used.

Unless there's one that looks like old rusty water, I don't think he used any coolant.

wikked
05-31-2010, 05:59 PM
Dexcool is orange... could have been mixed with a little regular coolant and too much water.

Coops Brother
05-31-2010, 06:16 PM
Devin, flush it out with the garden hose a couple of times and then drain it out and fill it with full strength green antifreeze, you'll be ok.

Someone added green the orange and it turns a nice turd color.

spooln30
05-31-2010, 07:16 PM
When dexcool is older and breaks down it's turns dark brown and sludges up. The new dexcool is not suppose to break down as fast and shouldn't sludge up. But all in all that coolant is crap and if it's at the point of drak brown and sludges up you may have other issues like intake gaskets. Its very well known that some of GM s run into take issues. I've done intake gasKets on 3.1 and3.4s with less than 50k. GM had a recall a year or so ago and they were giving upto $800 to dexcool related repairs. But GL.

Russ Jerome
05-31-2010, 07:30 PM
Dexcool is about the only coolant that wont mix with other lifetime coolants.
Dexcool also has an awesome ability to etch aluminum and smoke gaskets, gauranteed.
Dexcool is great for making mud in radiators, great for making overflow jugs brown.
Dexcool is a shops best friend, wish all cars came with Dexcool, Dexcool rocks :)

jbiscuit
05-31-2010, 08:17 PM
Dexcool is garbage

fivonut
05-31-2010, 08:25 PM
Devin, flush it out with the garden hose a couple of times and then drain it out and fill it with full strength green antifreeze, you'll be ok.

Someone added green the orange and it turns a nice turd color.

Exactly what I did. I pulled the thermostat and kept draining and filling with tap water til it came out clear. Then I drained and filled with undiluted green stuff til I had used three gallons. I'm going to run it for a few days so it can mix then test it for strength and adjust as needed.

I forgot to mention this was in the 00 Mustang I just bought.

spooln30
05-31-2010, 10:46 PM
I thought you had a GM. But fords did use a similar coolant but it don't break down and lasts longer then dexcool. Best coolant by far IMO is between toyotas red coolant and Volkswagen pink stuff. I run toyotas red in all my cars. Great stuff, lasts long time and have never had a problem. Again GL with the stang. Later.

GTSLOW
06-01-2010, 01:28 AM
Dexcool is orange... could have been mixed with a little regular coolant and too much water.

This or really old dexcool can turn sludgy and look like rusty brown gunk.

wrath
06-01-2010, 06:33 AM
I'll take Dexcool in a vehicle that was barely serviced over any of the others that were barely serviced. Dexcool's demise is people adding shit to it besides Dexcool. It's pretty easy to find a used vehicle with pink Dexcool in it at 100k.

Nobody here remembers the days of flushing your cooling system every 2 years.

In fact, I'm willing to wager nearly no one here has ever flushed their brake system, even on their "performance" cars. It's all about proper maintenance, cars are not microwaves unless you want them to be (buy it and get a new one when it quits working).

Coops Brother
06-01-2010, 06:56 AM
Dexcool is about the only coolant that wont mix with other lifetime coolants.
Dexcool also has an awesome ability to etch aluminum and smoke gaskets, gauranteed.
Dexcool is great for making mud in radiators, great for making overflow jugs brown.
Dexcool is a shops best friend, wish all cars came with Dexcool, Dexcool rocks :)

I made lots of $$ because of Dexcool come to think of it....

Coops Brother
06-01-2010, 07:01 AM
I'll take Dexcool in a vehicle that was barely serviced over any of the others that were barely serviced. Dexcool's demise is people adding shit to it besides Dexcool. It's pretty easy to find a used vehicle with pink Dexcool in it at 100k.

In fact, I'm willing to wager nearly no one here has ever flushed their brake system, even on their "performance" cars. It's all about proper maintenance, cars are not microwaves unless you want them to be (buy it and get a new one when it quits working).

There is a fine balance between flushing every couple years and having to replace intake gaskets evey 30K or so, or even a heater core. The Caprice's loved to sludge up the core to the point of needing replacement.
S10's loved to sludge up the entire system, in the bulletin that fix called for, if I remember, 8 hours of labor to fix, and that still wasn't a guarantee that all would be ok.

GTSLOW
06-01-2010, 08:02 AM

I've done all of the above :D Wish I could say the same for the previous owner. My brake fluid looked like hell!! As well as the diff and trans fluid.

wrath
06-01-2010, 10:46 AM
There is a fine balance between flushing every couple years and having to replace intake gaskets evey 30K or so, or even a heater core. The Caprice's loved to sludge up the core to the point of needing replacement.
S10's loved to sludge up the entire system, in the bulletin that fix called for, if I remember, 8 hours of labor to fix, and that still wasn't a guarantee that all would be ok.

Probably find out that those vehicles that needed work were "maintained" at Valvoline or some similarly retarded place that "tops off" fluids. Much like their oil, they put the cheapest shit they can find in there. Ever notice that unless you pay for premium oil at Valvoline it comes out of some random drum with a banner wrapped around it while the "premium" stuff comes out of a drum labeled "valvoline"?

We have plenty of high-milers (100k+ on original coolant) in the family with Dexcool in them and it works fine. It works beautifully in a sealed system (pressurized overflow tank). I've noticed that open systems (overflow tank vented to atmosphere) degrade much faster. Like barely make it to 100k. Which is impressive out of something that 20 years ago should have been replaced every 20k or 2 years. And the green shit doesn't last any longer than a couple winters.

And yes, I'm one of those weird-os that use it in their carbureted vehicles also. I like the pink shit because I'm not constantly collecting spent coolant and finding somewhere to get rid of it or doing the wrong thing and letting it run down the driveway. Maybe if I had just one automobile but I've got more than I can count on one hand.

1BadBytch
06-01-2010, 11:56 PM
dex cool is garbage ... I like global peak .. its neon yellow and you are able to mix it with different coolant & lasts just as long ... never mix green with pink .. will turn into mud. Dex cool .. after awhile cakes up nasty... goodluck getting that sh*t outta your car after that happens....

Al
06-02-2010, 02:18 AM
Does dexcool taste like koolaid?

So funny you should mention that. I was looking at a friend's chrysler a few hours ago and though "maybe I should flush the brake lines." Anyway, I once had someone flush the brake lines on my Integra after I had major brake fade at BFR, turn 6.

What is the best way to flush a coolant system without that machine? One of my friends had an 90s cutlass and the interior of the radiator was caked with deposits of calcium or some other white chalky material.

Russ Jerome
06-02-2010, 04:25 AM
replace intake gaskets evey 30K or so.

Oh my god remember all those Luminas with the orange stalagtites growing from between the intake and head! My 1996 Impalla got the dexdruel voided the first week I think, nothing more that an ECT and a water pump in 100k miles, $28 coolant operating expense in owning the car for several years.

Russ Jerome
06-02-2010, 04:28 AM
What is the best way to flush a coolant system without that machine? One of my friends had an 90s cutlass and the interior of the radiator was caked with deposits of calcium or some other white chalky material.

At home I like to use Cascade dish washing soap or if its cheaper Fels laundry detergent, non-foaming it gets oil out of intercoolers as well without gumming up. Mix it thick and run until t-stat is opened up a few times, rinse's right out clean.

wrath
06-02-2010, 06:46 AM
Does dexcool taste like koolaid?

So funny you should mention that. I was looking at a friend's chrysler a few hours ago and though "maybe I should flush the brake lines." Anyway, I once had someone flush the brake lines on my Integra after I had major brake fade at BFR, turn 6.

Open a the radiator drain valve (or remove the lower radiator hose) and then find the lowest spot on the block to remove a plug, usually the knock sensor is one of the lowest places.

Then do something illegal, such as leaving the drain valve in the radiator open and run the car with the garden hose in the radiator turned on. Once it comes out colorless, drain it again, and fill with DISTILLED water and antifreeze or water wetter. Tap water is junk for coolant. Tap water is probably the #2 reason for Dexcool and other coolants going bad.

awsomeears
06-02-2010, 07:25 AM
GM is garbage

Fixed..................

Unless its a pimped out 86 Chevy celebrity :goof that car rocked, 4-tec powa !