PDA

View Full Version : piston fitment question

sloLs1
05-28-2010, 08:51 PM
ok soo a few weeks ago i was playing around in my saturn(4 cyl + supercharged) and when i was making a pull attemping to tune it and i definatly lost a cylinder and blew the dipstick out..... ok so i figured i melted another piston. Ive done that a few times due to the shitty hyper pistons and no timing control......

anyway long story short, the car had a slight miss fire at idle( not a dead hole) when you would drive the miss would go away and everything was fine(obviously a little bit of pressure not quite boost was making up for compression lost?!) sooo i pulled the plugs cylider 2 and 4 were slightly wet but no signs of detenation or anything(they looked good) sooo i cleaned up drove it again same shit i figured i melted the top ring land of a piston.

so today i pull the head off to find absouletly perfect looking pistons and cylinder walls. the only thing i could see which the question im getting at is how close of a tolerance should be between the piston and the cylinder wall??? it looked like the pistons were too small for the bore?! ive built more than a dozen of these motors and always send the pistons with the block to get bored to fit.... oooo AND FORGOT to mention this motor has roughly 4k N/A miles and 400 boosted miles....

ok so recap... main question is what is the tolerence for pistons to cylider walls... how do you measure?? and do you think i could have possibly burned a piston ring?!? thats the only thing i can think of... i havnt pulled the oil pan off yet to get the pistons out..........

lordairgtar
05-28-2010, 09:22 PM
That sounds like rings...or a gasket.

Turbo-Triumph
05-28-2010, 09:59 PM
this info might help. idk what motor you have tho.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320256446948&viewitem=

wrath
05-28-2010, 11:55 PM
Dump some oil in the bore and see how long it takes to leak out.

I've melted pistons just enough where the compression rings bind up. Runs alright sometimes, other times not so much.

Oh, and you measure the bore with a cylinder bore gauge and a micrometer or an all-in-one unit. I usually go with .004" on a SBC.

sloLs1
05-29-2010, 01:45 AM
Dump some oil in the bore and see how long it takes to leak out.

I've melted pistons just enough where the compression rings bind up. Runs alright sometimes, other times not so much.

Oh, and you measure the bore with a cylinder bore gauge and a micrometer or an all-in-one unit. I usually go with .004" on a SBC.

hmmm i must have someting similar... ill have to wait and see once i get the pistons out... and yea ill make sure i measure the bore. i should have done it regardless having the machine shop bore the block to each piston...

DurtyKurty
06-01-2010, 12:09 PM
I had a similar thing happen with my 2.5 Ford Lima a couple years back with the stock pistons. One day after a good pull, one hole wouldn't fire at idle but at cruise it would. It had just enough compression to fire if the engine was spinning just a little faster. Any way, what had happen was I had broken the second ring land.... the top one was fine, so looking at it from the top it looked fine but when I pulled it out I saw the carnage. It had nothing to do with detonation, that second ring land just simply couldn't handle that much cylinder pressure.

juicedimpss
06-01-2010, 05:12 PM
if you are knocking the second ring land apart,its most likely ring gaps butting.
jmo

modmachz
06-01-2010, 07:11 PM
Every piston manufacture has different specs for there pistons

first thing I would do would be to remove the piston and check piston to wall measurement, I would check ring end gap roughly .004-.005 Thousanths per 1 inch of cylinder bore..

I would be happy to measure those bores for you with a dial bore gauge and also measure piston skirts

Donny..
www.engine-rebuilders.com