PDA

View Full Version : In search of a fox body

agent orange acr
05-28-2010, 03:44 PM
Im in search for my first fox body mustang(notch) which will also be my first Ford product,too. I was wondering if I could get some pointers on what to look for on my search. Things like common places rust occurs, mods to avoid, trans issues, etc. If thier is a checklist somewere out thier a link to it would be great. I have joined Corral Forum to gather some information ( was thinking about doing a 460 swap but learned that thier boat anchors and not commonly used in fox bodies) and learn more about the mechanical. well thanks in advance for the advice.

hrsp
05-29-2010, 10:36 PM
get a fbody...way cooler...chicks dig them...:)

im sure someone will have better advice....

Sprayaway Fox
05-29-2010, 10:38 PM
Planning over 500 horse?...Do a windsor

Look at rust by bottom of shocktowers

Look how the car sits, does it sit uneven?...Its problably tweeked

If the window frame on the door has a buckle in it...Its probably tweeked

If its a hatch or notch and has a dimple behind the quarter window. Its tweeked

Look for floorboard rust and passenger foot floorboard rust.

If the windshield has a crack in it lightning bolt crack starting...Its problably tweeked.

When you want to sell it....Part it out, you will make more money.

Do not do the 24,30 to 42 injector thing. Just get 42's and a 255 pump,and a 42 mass air right away.

Dont do dumps and flowmasters. Your ears will thank you

DO NOT PAINT THE ENGINE BAY BLACK! I REPEAT DO NOT DO. CHEVY'S DO THAT NOT FORD.

Check the torque boxes.(rear suspension arms meet car) Some cracking is fine, if it looks like it is tearing its going to need some work to them.

If TQ boxes look good get a set of battle boxes or a torque box kit.

5 speed cars...If it whines in any gear its gonna need fixing.

If you buy a EFI car KEEP IT EFI.

FIND A CAR THAT DECENTLY DONE UP ALREADY TO PUT YOUR TOUCH ON IT...IT WILL SAVE YOU TONS AND TONS OF MONEY

badass88gt
05-29-2010, 10:52 PM
I would agree with most of what he said, except the EFI part. If you are starting from scratch and you can tune a carb then you will save a ton of money vs. EFI. FWIW I have a daily driven GT with a carb and have no issues.

GTSLOW
05-29-2010, 11:48 PM
Im in search for my first fox body mustang(notch) which will also be my first Ford product,too. I was wondering if I could get some pointers on what to look for on my search. Things like common places rust occurs, mods to avoid, trans issues, etc. If thier is a checklist somewere out thier a link to it would be great. I have joined Corral Forum to gather some information ( was thinking about doing a 460 swap but learned that thier boat anchors and not commonly used in fox bodies) and learn more about the mechanical. well thanks in advance for the advice.

No you want a 4eyed notch :D those things are hot.

Nick 1
05-30-2010, 12:33 AM
It's not a notch but I have one of the cleanest 88 Fox body hatch that most people have ever seen.

The car is mostly an original 22 year old car that has 72,000 miles & has always been 100% rust free.

I have lots of paperwork for the car, & I believe the original window sticker.

I am the 2nd owner & it's garaged & covered 98% of the time.

Car has some mods, willing to sell as is, put back to stock or as a roller.

Boss Lx can vouch for the car, I had it @ Gus's last week.

If this is of interest to you let me know & come see the car in person.

It's not that far of a drive for you, if you'd like to see the car.

DRK
05-30-2010, 12:04 PM
Stop listening to whoever told you a BBF is a boat anchor

badass88gt
05-30-2010, 12:59 PM
I agree with that, ask Bolt On Don if he agrees. His timeslips would say otherwise.

4I Notch
05-30-2010, 09:31 PM
No you want a 4eyed notch :D those things are hot.

I would have to agree! :thumbsup

DynoTom
05-30-2010, 11:19 PM
Stop listening to whoever told you a BBF is a boat anchor

I agree , the 460 Ford might not be the first choice for the Fox body but, to say that they are boat anchors is far from the facts....

HITMAN
05-31-2010, 03:58 AM

Yeah, chicks that also dig guys in wife-beaters with mullets and bad teeth.

Got Trailer?

juicedimpss
05-31-2010, 09:06 AM
was thinking about doing a 460 swap but learned that thier boat anchors and not commonly used in fox bodies.

that part is true.
want to race a fairmont with a boat anchor in it for a few bux?
:rolf

ThatWhiteCivic
05-31-2010, 11:45 AM
4 eyes are the best

letsrunem
05-31-2010, 12:09 PM

Let me know if you see a clean rust free notch! 4-eye too.

agent orange acr
05-31-2010, 03:31 PM
Let me know if you see a clean rust free notch! 4-eye too. Im starting to find out that a clean notch isn't easy to find, so if you find one you let me know and vise versa.

Planning over 500 horse?...Do a windsor

Look at rust by bottom of shocktowers

Look how the car sits, does it sit uneven?...Its problably tweeked

If the window frame on the door has a buckle in it...Its probably tweeked

If its a hatch or notch and has a dimple behind the quarter window. Its tweeked

Look for floorboard rust and passenger foot floorboard rust.

If the windshield has a crack in it lightning bolt crack starting...Its problably tweeked.

When you want to sell it....Part it out, you will make more money.

Do not do the 24,30 to 42 injector thing. Just get 42's and a 255 pump,and a 42 mass air right away.

Dont do dumps and flowmasters. Your ears will thank you

DO NOT PAINT THE ENGINE BAY BLACK! I REPEAT DO NOT DO. CHEVY'S DO THAT NOT FORD.

Check the torque boxes.(rear suspension arms meet car) Some cracking is fine, if it looks like it is tearing its going to need some work to them.

If TQ boxes look good get a set of battle boxes or a torque box kit.

5 speed cars...If it whines in any gear its gonna need fixing.

If you buy a EFI car KEEP IT EFI.

FIND A CAR THAT DECENTLY DONE UP ALREADY TO PUT YOUR TOUCH ON IT...IT WILL SAVE YOU TONS AND TONS OF MONEY Thank you every much this is what I was looking

agent orange acr
05-31-2010, 03:40 PM

im sure someone will have better advice.... Haha way to stir the pot. I've already had an F-body and I want to try something different and new. I've had an f-body, srt-4, and now it's ford's turn. each car I've owned I try to build it faster than the last.

It's not a notch but I have one of the cleanest 88 Fox body hatch that most people have ever seen.

The car is mostly an original 22 year old car that has 72,000 miles & has always been 100% rust free.

I have lots of paperwork for the car, & I believe the original window sticker.

I am the 2nd owner & it's garaged & covered 98% of the time.

Car has some mods, willing to sell as is, put back to stock or as a roller.

Boss Lx can vouch for the car, I had it @ Gus's last week.

If this is of interest to you let me know & come see the car in person.

It's not that far of a drive for you, if you'd like to see the car.
Your car sounds every clean, I would prefer a notch but a clean, rust free car is probally the most inportant. I will keep your car in mind.

Force4
05-31-2010, 03:52 PM
My dad did a 460 in a 89 about 10 years ago. He said it wasnt to crazy to put together but in the end it was a powerhouse. I went with a 351w and I wouldnt honestly suggest this route. The block is solid and the swap is very simple. Im still using my stock T5 from 83 with my 351w no problem.

agent orange acr
05-31-2010, 03:53 PM
The plans for this car is to build a 10 second car whether it's this year or next or further down the line. The idea was to do a carbed 460 on e85 which i think would be a cool setup and has the potential make more power down the line. I plan on keeping this car n/a but nitrous has been something I wanted to try so i'm not to sure yet.

Adamsy87
06-01-2010, 12:45 AM
I went with a 351w and I wouldnt honestly suggest this route.

why?

letsrunem
06-01-2010, 02:08 AM
I think he meant "would"

Force4
06-01-2010, 10:06 AM
Wow at that miss spell lol "would"

Dr.Buick
06-01-2010, 10:27 AM
The plans for this car is to build a 10 second car whether it's this year or next or further down the line. The idea was to do a carbed 460 on e85 which i think would be a cool setup and has the potential make more power down the line. I plan on keeping this car n/a but nitrous has been something I wanted to try so i'm not to sure yet.
Ethanol does not work. :rolf

Adamsy87
06-01-2010, 01:10 PM
Wow at that miss spell lol "would"

Alright, that makes a little more sense.

-stew-
06-02-2010, 11:02 AM

Why do you say that?

DurtyKurty
06-02-2010, 11:31 AM
Why do you say that?

saves you money.

-stew-
06-02-2010, 01:11 PM
Let me know if you see a clean rust free notch! 4-eye too.

How about this one...

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p249/stewsquarenuts/IMG00325.jpg

saves you money.

When I was doing my car, I talked to some people because I ended up with 24's I bought and 30's I fell into, was told by using bigger injectors than necessary was bad because they don't work well at low flow.

Nick 1
06-04-2010, 09:41 PM
Your car sounds every clean, I would prefer a notch but a clean, rust free car is probally the most inportant. I will keep your car in mind.

Thanks............

Your welcome to come & see the car anytime.......

Can put it up on a lift for you to inspect if you like.........

-stew-
06-04-2010, 11:21 PM
^^^ Post some pics!

Nick 1
06-06-2010, 09:53 PM
^^^ Post some pics!

I'll give it a try, It's not my speciality........

Torch Red Gt
06-16-2010, 10:29 PM
http://i781.photobucket.com/albums/yy100/TorchRedGt/lx4.jpg
http://i781.photobucket.com/albums/yy100/TorchRedGt/lx1.jpg

GTSLOW
06-17-2010, 01:20 AM
Looks CLEAN!

Gregor
06-22-2010, 05:30 PM
Nico babies that car. I would bet the farm that it is the cleanest fox your ever going to find from Wisconsin. I have seen it in person, and would buy it over any other. True its not a notch but, for what it is you couldn't go wrong.

Just look at the steering wheel there is no wear on it.

-stew-
06-22-2010, 07:09 PM
Nico babies that car. I would bet the farm that it is the cleanest fox your ever going to find from Wisconsin. I have seen it in person, and would buy it over any other. True its not a notch but, for what it is you couldn't go wrong.

Just look at the steering wheel there is no wear on it.

Be careful who you make that bet with. I know a notch with considerably less miles, that is 100% factory original save for fluids and filters. And he's looking for land. ;)