PDA

View Full Version : Best way to install motor?

LEWETHETIGER73
05-25-2010, 06:28 AM
So is the prefered method the motor by itself at an angle towards the trans or is it with the trans attached to the block?

fastlanefairlane
05-25-2010, 07:26 AM
So is the prefered method the motor by itself at an angle towards the trans or is it with the trans attached to the block?
if you would of called me i would of told you what the problem is. i just did a engine in a 67 gto.

(some times you need to think outside the box)

Rocket Power
05-25-2010, 12:36 PM
I always do it without trans attached

DynoTom
05-25-2010, 01:15 PM
A friend of mine who restores cars and has done 100's of engine pulls and installs told me about a trick he uses....He installs the engines and trans together and the trick is to get the rear of the car raised up on jack stands....The engine and trans will now have no problems clearing the firewall on the way in...I have tried this 3 times now and it works great...I installed a 428 FE in my 66 Galaxie with long tube headers by myself in 45 minutes....

Prince Valiant
05-25-2010, 01:50 PM
My preferred method is to stand on the fenders and lower it in by hand. That way, I can skip my normal lifting routine that day.

---but on a serious note, that's an awesome method Dynotom's friend suggested...very impressive the simplicity of some solutions to pestering problems...

Turbo-Triumph
05-25-2010, 02:53 PM
My preferred method is to stand on the fenders and lower it in by hand. That way, I can skip my normal lifting routine that day.

awesome method for body builders who drive smart cars.

OP: ive only swapped 1 motor out myself, and i had the trans attached.

i wouldnt even suggest attempting it by yourself, an extra pair of hands and eyes is deff needed, IMO. im Not saying it cant be done solo, but lets all be realistic.

Rocket Power
05-25-2010, 04:24 PM
i wouldnt even suggest attempting it by yourself, an extra pair of hands and eyes is deff needed, IMO. im Not saying it cant be done solo, but lets all be realistic.

I've only ever done it by myself on my own stuff.It's only a few bolts, and paying attention to what you're doing.

Ricky Bobby
05-25-2010, 04:55 PM
mine have always been attached i hate crawling under to attach the trans so i just hook it up and shove it in have done it by mylself and also with help dont really matter to me

LEWETHETIGER73
05-25-2010, 05:49 PM
Well I will only try it with some help. But that is an awesome idea for the rear to be raised up. About how high did you lift it?

Gregor
05-25-2010, 07:41 PM
If you dont have in by this weekend let me know and I can help you out.

I have pulled a few engines out in my time. Most of them were for Mock-up in my Mustang. Any way you do it a extra set of hands is always better.

I could see the logic behind jacking up the rear of the car.

DynoTom
05-25-2010, 11:37 PM
Well I will only try it with some help. But that is an awesome idea for the rear to be raised up. About how high did you lift it?

I would go about 6 inches or so up , it will make the trans tunnel much higher off the ground and your engine and trans will slip right in....I also agree with having a extra guy around to help , I have done plenty of engine jobs by myself but, a extra guy would be better....