PDA

View Full Version : Semi-trailer tire goes BOOM...!!!

Car Guy
05-24-2010, 11:47 AM
This morning while driving south on I-94 with the windows down a rear semi-trailer tire exploded approximately 50 feet in front of me. Without exaggeration the intensity was equivalent to a true '1/4 stick' of TNT. Not in a million years did I think a 53' trailer tire would let loose like this one did, NEVER. As a result of me not expecting or preparing for the shock wave (which bounced off my chest HARD) I now have a headache, the explosion was that loud.....:stare

What a way to wake up in the morning.....:durr

lilws6
05-24-2010, 11:49 AM
that'll happen

Crawlin
05-24-2010, 11:52 AM
it's definitely an experience. had it happen a couple years ago on 94 as well.

bet it scared the shit out of you, haha.

Car Guy
05-24-2010, 11:56 AM
bet it scared the shit out of you.

Oh yeah, I was daydreaming at the time. I wish a camera was there to get my reaction, I remember cringing with both my legs and arms while pulling over to the side to avoid rubber flying EVERYWHERE. Thankfully I was in my beater; the chunks of rubber would really have fugged up a nice paint finish.....

lilws6
05-24-2010, 12:03 PM
you know i usually always think abotu what i woudl do while riding next to one of those things i think i'de go nuts if one happened to blow near me

DirtyMax
05-24-2010, 01:17 PM
you know i usually always think about what i would do while riding next to one of those things i think I'd go nuts if one happened to blow near me

It's pretty intense... from experience... :goof

EvolvedRegal
05-24-2010, 01:19 PM
Wait until you have a 480 3-phase 20A fuse blow up right next to your hand... Thats a shock wave.

chargedformula
05-24-2010, 01:53 PM
yeah those tires can be very dangerous and have been known to kill from just the percussion. they make cages to put them in when they are being filled. 110psi is a lot of air being let loose in an instant. we have a policy at my work that if any of those tires is below 80 psi then they can not be refilled and must be taken off. i guess they dont want to take any chances of there being damage to the sidewall from being under-inflated. when i was in school we watched some videos of tires "zippering". its pretty impressive.

_a836FYQfvg&feature=related

deuceWI
05-24-2010, 03:06 PM
Not long ago I was driving into Milwaukee on 94 in morning traffic. I had just passed an F450 dually with a dump bed or something equivalent when that truck had a blowout. Sounded / felt like one of those loud bright fireworks from the 4th of July, and definitely woke me up :eek:

I feel sorry for the guy behind me who happened to be right next to that truck when it happened. I saw the blast of rubber shrapnel f*@& up the side of his car. Ouch!

WickedSix
05-24-2010, 03:47 PM
had a 35 psi-ish car tire blow up infront of me while sitting on the ground airing it up to get the car in the shop.... don't remember the thud just woke up flat on my back without any hearing... i can only imagine what a larger volume and higher pressure concussion would feel like

Prince Valiant
05-24-2010, 04:02 PM
I saw one on a cement truck...tore the fender over the tires clear off, and because the truck was covered in dust, the whole thing looked like it exploded at first from the dust flying everywhere. Seriously looked like those roadside IED videos you see...and startled the hell out of me from 100 yards back!

IcePickFreak
05-24-2010, 05:10 PM
I seen that once and never drive next to a semi except to pass because of it, it's always in the back of my mind.

whistlin six
05-24-2010, 05:12 PM
yeah I've had the same thing happen, startled the crap out of me.
I remember thinking, whatever that was can't be good.

Now I try and stay far away from semi trailers.

awsomeears
05-25-2010, 12:00 AM
maybe they were......................

Underpsi

:goof

BadAzzGTA89
05-25-2010, 07:14 AM
Happens alot to me in the summer doing heavy haul and oh yea you can feel and hear a trailer tire blow all the way in the cab! Bends the shit out of mudflap brackets, fenders, airbags what evers in the way

SSmike1
05-25-2010, 12:15 PM
I was next to a Large dump truck Loaded, when the Front tire Blew out.
I JUST passed it, i was 20 feet just in front of the bumper.
SCARED the living crap out of me.
I was on my Motorcycle!!!!!!!
the Left Front tire blew out, and the truck Immeadiately veered Left, INTO the oncoming lane!
Thank God, no oncoming cars were there of they would have been SQUASHED like a bug!

Red97GTP
05-25-2010, 03:29 PM
At the last dealership I was working at, we had the doors open. There was a dump truck that was driving past that had a tire blow out. It literaly shook the building and scared the crap outta everyone. There were chunks of rubber everywhere from that.

Brian98GTP
05-26-2010, 03:13 PM
I never had one happen in front of me, but a couple summers ago while traveling south on 45 near good hope, a semi blew a tire on the northbound lane and THAT scared the fvck out of me... The windows were down in my car, and I couldnt believe how loud it was. Cant imagine the sound/feel if it happened 50ft in front of me, haha.

JBs92Lude
05-26-2010, 03:24 PM
I had a semi tire blow out next to me when I was heading north and the driver south. Yeah it's scary and loud! One way to wake up in the morning...

MurphysLaw88GT
05-26-2010, 03:45 PM
Driving in Montana I had seen one blow like 20 yards from the car. Windows down and quite a surprise.

73MACH
05-26-2010, 08:38 PM
Well, today about 3:30 pm on 94 of course, MY tire on my work truck decided to explode on me doing 70 mph and fully loaded in the middle lane with everybody and their mother around me. I immedetly started trying to get over to the shoulder and all I saw was smoke, rubber flying everywhere, and people locking up their brakes. The assend was fish tailing and the shoulder almost sucked me right in. Wish I had a camera. Not much left of the tire, messed up the rear quarter panel pretty good too. I'm still cleaning my pants.

Car Guy
05-26-2010, 10:19 PM
The warmer temperatures are weeding out the weak tires.....;)