PDA

View Full Version : Long distance car sale ?'s

turbogarrett
05-23-2010, 11:00 PM
I have a buyer for my car, but he lives in massachusetts. I have sold cars locally but never a done a long distance deal.

There are no liens or bank loans involved.

Has anyone here used an escrow service for a long distance car deal? Or should I just demand full purchase price transfered from his bank to mine before the car would be shipped?

I can understand the buyer being nervous about sending a private party a large amount of money. Would the escrow open the door for him to try to renegotiate the price after he has recieved it?

Car Guy
05-23-2010, 11:41 PM
Demand the full purchase price wired to an account opened specifically for the transaction and then close the account after withdrawing the entire amount. If the buyer is leery about wiring money to a ‘stranger’ draft a contract for both of you to sign in the presence of a legal notary.....

supra213
05-24-2010, 04:56 AM
^ this

make sure he has his transportation arrangements figured out as well.

BAD LS1
05-24-2010, 05:42 AM
i just had the guy wire the money to my bank account the same day the car was due to be picked up. Once in then id let the car go, but that way i didnt let the car on the carrier w/o the cash in the bank first. Thats as close to making a fair trade that i could come up with at the time and worked out great, and the guy that bought my turbo car was from CA even. i also sent the paperwork via certified mail separate from the car too.

fivonut
05-24-2010, 06:57 AM
I have a buyer for my car, but he lives in massachusetts. I have sold cars locally but never a done a long distance deal.

There are no liens or bank loans involved.

Has anyone here used an escrow service for a long distance car deal? Or should I just demand full purchase price transfered from his bank to mine before the car would be shipped?

I can understand the buyer being nervous about sending a private party a large amount of money. Would the escrow open the door for him to try to renegotiate the price after he has recieved it?

I'd be leary of anyone asking to work through an escrow service. I've heard of people losing both car and money through a crooked escrow.

turbogarrett
05-24-2010, 07:32 AM
I'd be leary of anyone asking to work through an escrow service. I've heard of people losing both car and money through a crooked escrow.

He didn't suggest the escrow, I just ran across it during an online search yesterday as a "safe" way to do things.

Going to suggest a full price transfer before I will allow the car to be picked up and send the title/bill of sale certified mail.

jbiscuit
05-24-2010, 09:58 AM
watch out for yourself first and foremost. Wire transfer would be the safest. Is he coming to inspect the car first in person? If he is, see if "his" bank has a branch in the area. Then he can set up with them to make sure they have enough cash on hand to withdraw and he can buy the car that way

Crawlin
05-24-2010, 11:04 AM
when I purchased long distance, i set up my transportation and made sure I knew the date it was getting there.

Then I just went to fedex and did an overnight delivery to the person's address(they should be there to release car anyways) and sent the money order that way.

person was fine with it that way. and he didn't have a chance to have the money any longer than needed to just disappear.

there will always be possibilities of being screwed. It's the risk we take when conduction business in this way.