PDA

View Full Version : Anyone make house calls for motor install?

LEWETHETIGER73
05-23-2010, 10:35 PM
This is ridiculous. For the life of me I couldn't get the damn thing to line up. It looks like the trans might of slid out of position. Also the headers kept getting in the way. I have never installed a motor but I have now pulled 2 so I figure it couldn't be to hard, yeah right. Is there an easier way to position the trans, or do I just drop it completely and reinstall it after the motor is in.

Prince Valiant
05-23-2010, 10:47 PM
Get the motor tilted rear-ward slightly and then get a floor jack under the trans to help line things up a bit better.

Now, sometimes it helps just to walk away and take a moment...or hours just to not really think about it...coming in without being frustrated normally helps you see the potential problem better...I've litterally had eureka moments will going to sleep, eating lunch etc.

Which is another thing...sometimes if something is not working the way you think it should then 1) You're doing something wrong or 2) Something not compatible/not supposed to work. Rule those possibilities out as well.

fastlanefairlane
05-24-2010, 07:41 AM
if you need a hand give me a call cory (414) 467-1810
iam the guy that maintains jim plimptons tbird (Dr ford)

Moparjim
05-24-2010, 09:53 AM
Do you have the headers bolted to the motor? If they are and they are full length headers on most cars it is much easier to leave them unbolted and just use bungies or coat hangers or something to hang them in their places and actually bolt them up after the engine is in.

LEWETHETIGER73
05-24-2010, 05:28 PM
Well I talked to some other people about this and the general consenses is pull the trans and mount it to the engine and the reinstall.
The headers are full length and were left unbolted. I think I am going to give it a try this weekend if the temp isn't to insane. Thanks for the tips and help offers. I have some other friends that will be helping me though. Thanks and hopefully it goes well soon.