PDA

View Full Version : Carpenter Ants...

Prince Valiant
05-23-2010, 04:58 PM
I don't think I've got a colony living within my house...but damn, there can be quite a few at some times foraging through the house. Anyone ever deal with them? What controls have you used? Where have you found them?

It's my mission this week to see if I can find their local colony...hopefully it's NOT in my house, lol.

tommyt5078
05-23-2010, 05:52 PM
My wife will get some power stuff, that we put around the outside of the house within a couple weeks we wont see any in the house for the rest of the year..................Not sure if these are carpenter, are just ants, but the powered works.

Yooformula
05-23-2010, 08:42 PM
we have the orkin or w/e people come out and spray some shit so we dont ever see em but in the past, they would crawl in under the doors.

Gregor
05-23-2010, 09:07 PM
Peppermint is the natural ant killer. I burns their antenna which then they track back to the ant colony. That's if you don't want chemicals around the house.

If they are carpenter ants they can be as bad as termites. Call Orkin,or other pest control.

GTSLOW
05-23-2010, 09:09 PM
Ant's used to be a horrible problem when I was stationed in AZ. We had like 3 colonys. I had them spray numerous times etc.. Finally gave up and bought some stuff from home depot in a white container with blue writing (can't remember the name). They were gone completely. I sprayed around the house every 3 months and never saw another one.

They were bad too. At times they'd come thru small spots in the ceiling or anywhere they could find a spot in.

Plum Crazy
05-23-2010, 09:13 PM
we use Diatom. Its the white powder tommy was talking about.

http://www.scotts.com/smg/catalog/productTemplate.jsp?proId=prod10130004&itemId=cat50088

SSDude
05-23-2010, 09:45 PM
My parents had a carpenter ant problem. They said this stuff works well.
http://www.terro.com/products.php

xxsn0blindxx
05-24-2010, 03:26 PM
I've used the lawn safe Bayer ant killer that attaches to a hose.. I then spray on so much that they are either poisoned or drowned completely and they don't come back for the rest of the season.

awsomeears
05-24-2010, 11:58 PM
You probably dropped a bag of candy under your bed, no I'm not joking .

Ants are smart.............

Pepsicola300
05-25-2010, 09:57 AM
When I bought my house I had carpenter ants living in a lillac bush next to my garage and two huge trees in the yard. They hollowed out both my trees so badly you could tell that they were slowly starting to lean. Since then I have used ant killer products and cut everything infested down. Haven't seen one since.

ND4SPD
06-14-2010, 08:39 PM
I just found several colonies in one of our apple trees... it's amazing the tree is still growing. Anyway I nerve gassed them, but good. Few good sprays and all of them came pouring out of every hole in the tree, only to drop to the ground, flail around and die. If you ever wanted to know what nerve gas does to you, watch what ant spray does to ants because it's basically the same thing. I lost count of all the queens or drones that came tearing out. There were literally 3 huge piles of dead ants arount the tree.

Car Guy
06-14-2010, 09:07 PM
I cut down a 50' red maple at our previous house and discovered thousands upon thousands of carpenter ants in one of the 6-8" diameter limbs leading into the 3’ diameter trunk. The ground appeared to be ‘moving’ (similar to the heat 'wave' above a heat source) after the limb came down and they scattered. I freaked when they started crawling on me, those little bastards bite hard.....:flipoff2:

GTSLOW
06-14-2010, 09:12 PM
I cut down a 50' red maple at our previous house and discovered thousands upon thousands of carpenter ants in one of the 6-8" diameter limbs leading into the 3’ diameter trunk. The ground appeared to be ‘moving’ (similar to the heat 'wave' above a heat source) after the limb came down and they scattered. I freaked when they started crawling on me, those little bastards bite hard.....:flipoff2:

I would have paid to see that :rolf

:banana

Yooformula
06-15-2010, 11:16 AM

same shit happened to the tree near my driveway. I cut off a 15' limb that was about 1' thick and it was all hollowed out and full of ants! I didnt have any poisons or anything so I just poured gas on em and torched the fuckers.

animal
06-18-2010, 10:03 AM
I freaked when they started crawling on me, those little bastards bite hard.....:flipoff2:

Sounds like the time i ended up betting a guy I could kick a fire ant hill and none would be able to latch onto my shoe in the mere instant i was in actual contact with the hill. Holy shit did that suck... AND i lost money :punch: :( :durr