PDA

View Full Version : AC Thermostat Settings

michelle
05-23-2010, 01:12 PM
So what do you set your programmable thermostat at during the summer?

My AC turned on today, so it got me thinking. I kept my house colder in the winter (cold enough to wear a sweatshirt or long-sleeve shirt), but I can't remember what I had it at last year.

jbiscuit
05-23-2010, 02:08 PM
Put it as low as you are willing to shell out coin for lol. We rarely set ours any colder than like 73 in the house. Plenty cool with the blinds closed. 80 during the day while gone. Remember to turn it up a couple degrees also if you are going to be gone on the weekend all day. Ceiling fans ftw also

Our utility bill during July with the ac on the entire month won't even hit $100. But last year I think we only used the ac a total of 7-8 days cuz it was a cold summer

Prince Valiant
05-23-2010, 02:30 PM
When I've used the AC, I'll generally shoot for 72-73.The A/C running usually does a good job of not only keeping the temp reasonable, but really it's keeping the humidity way down. I'll leave it at that setting all day so that the AC doesn't have to work so hard/long to remove moisture from the air when the temps creep up into the 80's during the day. I don't know what's more energy efficient though...Brad would probably have a more informed opinion on the matter.

If it were just me, I'd probably hardly ever use the AC...but the dogs and wife are all a bit uncomfortable with things I'd tolerate myself.

Holeshot
05-23-2010, 03:25 PM
Ours is set to 78 while we are gone the 74 when we are home. Our thermostat has for settings per day . Seems to work out well.

GTSLOW
05-23-2010, 03:39 PM
Put it as low as you are willing to shell out coin for lol. We rarely set ours any colder than like 73 in the house. Plenty cool with the blinds closed. 80 during the day while gone. Remember to turn it up a couple degrees also if you are going to be gone on the weekend all day. Ceiling fans ftw also

Our utility bill during July with the ac on the entire month won't even hit $100. But last year I think we only used the ac a total of 7-8 days cuz it was a cold summer

Wow nice! $100 bucks, shit I thought 138 was low last month for my lil place.

awsomeears
05-23-2010, 10:09 PM
Here is my personal opinion

1st get it tuned up so you are at a starting point, its crazy to expect Peak Performance out of a A/C unit that is running

Under Charge
Over Charge
Plugged Coil
Plugged Condenser ( this is the out side unit that makes noise :) )
Incorrect Blower speed
Dampers closed from previous owner
on and on and on I could go :)

If one or more of these issues are going on the Humidity is not being pulled out of the air, so your A/C runs and runs and runs.................

This is why the question " Whats the magical Temperature I should set it at, or whats an average Temp " is hard to answer.

Honestly I see 68 LOL to 78 degrees

To answer your question I keep mine at 76 but shhhh don't tell anyone I'm not a user of A/C, my brother and I grew up without it so personally I"m used to it.

I have been in fairly modern or updated homes with a fine tuned system by yours truly set there A/C at 76-78 and its nice in the home, I always look for a nice steady stream of water coming out of the A/C coil down stairs :thumbsup

Hope that helps......... Michelle didn't you just buy a home ? How far are you away from Milwaukee ? If its not to crazy I could make a special trip :thumbsup

* Edit *

Also my opinion of setting it to one temperature when your home and raising it when your not home is Don't do it unless your gone for a day, my personal opinion is its harder to remove humidity then heat your home in the winter within means....

Find a reasonable temp and cruise with it...........

Shutting your blinds Really Really Really helps !!! or hell tinting your windows can have great benefits

CATNHAT
06-10-2010, 09:58 PM
In addition, if your house has a southern exposure, close your blinds during the day while your house is under a "Solar Load", it will have a significant reduction on the heat gained inside your house during the day.

And if you can, install a zoned system, 1 heat/ac zone for the first floor, and 1 heat/ac zone for the second if you have that configuration. That way, you will probably only need to turn on the ac at night for the second zone (upstairs). Not as much square footage, cools down fast, sleep well.

When we turn our AC on, we keep it around 75F.

Anakonda69
06-11-2010, 12:26 PM
i keep mine around 73. i just hope my unit makes it thru the summer. i hate humidity and need it for those times. the unit is 18yrs old and we are hoping to get 1 summer out of it.

modmachz
06-11-2010, 08:30 PM
I keep mine at 68 new home and that is just the way we like It..

PB86MCSS
06-11-2010, 08:35 PM
72 here

michelle
06-11-2010, 09:02 PM
In addition, if your house has a southern exposure, close your blinds during the day while your house is under a "Solar Load", it will have a significant reduction on the heat gained inside your house during the day.

And if you can, install a zoned system, 1 heat/ac zone for the first floor, and 1 heat/ac zone for the second if you have that configuration. That way, you will probably only need to turn on the ac at night for the second zone (upstairs). Not as much square footage, cools down fast, sleep well.

When we turn our AC on, we keep it around 75F.

A zone system would be amazing in our house, especially with the loft and our master bedroom/bathroom upstairs. Heat sure rises! Having nice ceiling fans in the loft and in our bedroom is very beneficial. I wonder how adding a zone system would be on our house. I assume there is just different duct work of some kind?

Slow Joe
06-13-2010, 03:33 PM
We set ours for 69 while we're home, 71 while we're sleeping and 74 while we're away...