PDA

View Full Version : any motorcycle mechanics.....help

buttersgt350
05-22-2010, 11:11 PM
i just bought a 1984 honda sabre 700 with only 4700 miles. bike was really clean and ran great, at least for the last 2 weeks. i rode it on thursday with no problems. started it up this morning and noticed the clutch lever had no tension in it. let it warm up and when i put it in gear and let out the clutch it would die. did this twice and said screw it ill take my truck. got home and tried it again thinking maybe i didnt let it warm up enough. this time as soon as i put it in gear it would lurch forward and die. i dont think its the clutch itself but maybe the cable is stretched or i heard the discs could get stuck together. any help would be great, its looking to be a good upcoming bike week. thanks.

buttersgt350
05-23-2010, 01:52 PM
now today i have it on the center stand and when i put it in gear with the clutch pushed in it doesnt die but the back tire starts spinning. almost like the clutch isnt engaging all the way. any ideas.

Al
05-24-2010, 02:16 AM
It sounds to me like you have an issue with the cable. It could be stretched or cut. The clutch could also be the culprit.

Can you adjust the clutch from the handle bars as you would adjust brakes on a bicycle?

buttersgt350
05-24-2010, 08:51 AM
i dont think so. i didnt see any type of adjusters around there.

WickedSix
05-24-2010, 10:32 AM
I believe that model uses a hydraulic clutch... does it have a reservoir by the clutch lever? have you checked the fluid level or bled the system? do you see a hydraulic leak?

buttersgt350
05-25-2010, 07:44 PM
all pro in waukesha checked it out and the clutch master cylinder needed to be bled and cleaned.