PDA

View Full Version : Splines on a shaft how to measure them

Turbo-Triumph
05-22-2010, 10:01 AM
i bought an electric motor with an internal splined shaft. how do i measure the splines/size of it to know what i need to put on the shaft that will go into the motor?

Russ Jerome
05-22-2010, 10:23 AM
Its actualy a bit complicated and uses terms like pitch circle, addendum, tooth depth but there are common sizes, what kind of elkectric motor application is it?

Turbo-Triumph
05-22-2010, 11:04 AM
Its actualy a bit complicated and uses terms like pitch circle, addendum, tooth depth but there are common sizes, what kind of elkectric motor application is it?

is there standard sizes or a tool i can get or something? im just trying to find out what size the splines are, and eventually possibly have to have something made for me.

Turbo-Triumph
05-23-2010, 07:52 AM
bump for knowledge needed.

Turbo-Triumph
05-23-2010, 08:47 AM
Ok this thread can be closed! found my answer on a combination of Wikki and other websites. Thanks anyways people! :thumbsup

and the answer is: i cannot measure them without a really high tech machine, or if i happen to run accross a good spline gauge for the specific size.

SSDude
05-23-2010, 09:43 AM
The motor you bought should have the manufactures specs available that should provide specs like voltage, amps and shaft/spline sizes/designation. Check out the manufactures website or contact them. I'm sure they can tell you more.
Whats the brand and model number?

Turbo-Triumph
05-23-2010, 09:08 PM
The motor you bought should have the manufactures specs available that should provide specs like voltage, amps and shaft/spline sizes/designation. Check out the manufactures website or contact them. I'm sure they can tell you more.
Whats the brand and model number?

http://unisea.us/forsale/1063021.jpg

I cannot find any specs on it to be honest, but here is what i bought.
I know its a 48v motor, but i intend on 74v b/c i think itll handle it. Ive been doing research on motors in general and think it'll be ok.

Its from an 8000lb forklift. New, the price tag is over $4,000. I got mine got $200, and a 400amp speed controller for $150. i expect this thing to have plenty of tq.

I dont care to discuss what im ganna do with it, because its a project im ganna try out and just see whats up, and if it doesnt work, than well whatever.

Russ Jerome
05-23-2010, 10:23 PM
[URL]I dont care to discuss what im ganna do with it, because its a project im ganna try out and just see whats up, and if it doesnt work, than well whatever.

There are people who have tried it, in series it does work but you need reserve capacity. Do it, they said Einstein was crazy too!