PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice. pulling/installing motor

LEWETHETIGER73
05-21-2010, 06:24 AM
Well I decided I wanted to give this a try. I am pulling the motor out of my 73 LeMans and putting a different motor in it's place. The motor is out of another car that sat for about 5 years since running. I got it running before pulling it and everything sounded great. Draining all the fluids and plan on putting fresh stuff in. I guess any tips on what to put in, how soon to drain it and stuff like that would be greatly appreciated. Plan on doing it this Sat. The motor after I pulled it has sat for about 7 months also with out an intake on it. And it does have some surface rust that rubs off inside the ports. Is that going to matter?

TheRX7Project
05-21-2010, 07:32 AM
I'd say take a rag with some gas and wipe off that surface rust in the intake ports (if you can, if not I wouldn't worry *too* much about it). While it's out of the car I'd clean the engine real well too, that will help you identify any leaks and their locations.

If it's a motor that has already been running and isn't "fresh" then I personally would treat it just like the motor you pulled. When I swapped the motors on my RX7 I simply put in fresh fluids and called it a day, maybe do the first oil change a little bit early but it's not like you're "breaking it in", so you don't have to worry about adding zinc or anything like that.

hotshift13
05-21-2010, 07:10 PM
Make sure you disconect everything, there is always something...

awsomeears
05-21-2010, 10:40 PM
If the motor is good don't worry about that, think about the " OTHER " stuff that you can upgrade and or replace when the motor is out and have much room to work.

I see so many guys pull a motor and forget that there engine bay looks like Mars......

LEWETHETIGER73
05-22-2010, 10:50 PM
Well my bay looks pretty decent. Did a quick paint on the motor and called it a day. Honestly I think I am doing this pretty half assed but I plan on tearing it all apart this winter to take care of some rust patch on the firewall so I'll worry about it then.