PDA

View Full Version : Yet another new guy here thread :)

GTO Jeff
05-20-2010, 11:44 AM
Hey what's up? I'm new here but not new to internet forums. I know how to multi quote! :thumbsup

My name's Jeff and I have a 1967 Pontiac GTO. You may have guessed that from my username. Anyway, right now it's at OTE getting some things done to it. Tom started a thread about the project - http://brewcitymuscle.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46245 - and there are some pictures there.

Hoping to meet some more car folks this summer. I helped organize and run a new cruise night this summer on Tuesday nights at Brew City Grill in Mequon. At the moment it is heavily slanted towards European cars but I would love to increase the number of American cars there, especially old muscle cars or modified late-models. I'll start a thread about the cruise night in the events sub-forum.

SilverHorse
05-20-2010, 12:02 PM
Welcome from one newbie to another!

juicedimpss
05-20-2010, 12:32 PM
welcome to the site

Moparjim
05-20-2010, 01:45 PM
Welcome! I met you the other day out at OTE, I'm the Challenger guy.

nismodave
05-20-2010, 01:46 PM
Welcome to Brew City Muscle.

Very nice looking Goat.

Prince Valiant
05-20-2010, 02:01 PM
Great looking car...care to tell a little more about it? How it started, when you decided to change? Specific goals?

Yooformula
05-20-2010, 02:18 PM
Welcome!

michelle
05-20-2010, 03:43 PM
Welcome!

2002 WARHAWK
05-20-2010, 03:49 PM
Welcome sir! nice GTO

GTO Jeff
05-20-2010, 04:01 PM
Welcome from one newbie to another!

welcome to the site

Welcome! I met you the other day out at OTE, I'm the Challenger guy.

Oh yeah!

Welcome to Brew City Muscle.

Very nice looking Goat.

Welcome!

Welcome!

Welcome sir! nice GTO

Thank you all!

Dr.Buick
05-20-2010, 04:05 PM
As in Brain?

GTO Jeff
05-20-2010, 04:54 PM
Great looking car...care to tell a little more about it? How it started, when you decided to change? Specific goals?

Thanks! Here's the medium-length story...

I've had this GTO for a little more than 5 years. The second year I had it I restored the interior myself and just generally cleaned it up.

Then 2 years ago I accidentally over-revved it doing a burnout (guess stock Pontiac v8's don't like 7000+ rpm...). Got home and it was burning coolant like crazy. Was hoping it was just a blown head gasket and I spent the summer of 2008 tearing it down and putting it back together just in time to store it for the winter. Took it out in spring 2009 and drove it once, it was still burning coolant like crazy. Time for professional help...

Based on some great references, I decided I wanted Wayne Schicantek to rebuild my motor. So I waited from May 2009 until October 2009 for Wayne to be able to work on it. On teardown, found a multitude of problems - all the intake valves had been sleeved, and one worked loose leading to the coolant leak. So both heads were trashed. One cylinder was pitted from the leaking coolant. 3 lobes were wiped off the flat-tappet cam. The harmonic balancer was cracked. The rear main seal wasn't installed correctly. The oil pump drive was wrong. Etc, etc...

So I had to decide - spend a pile of money on a stock-ish rebuild or go a little nuts. I went a little nuts. Bored the cylinders 0.040 over. Got a 1/2 inch stroker crank, forged rods and pistons. Bumped it from 400 to 463 cubes. Got a healthy hydraulic roller cam. Aluminum heads from Kauffman Racing. And a bunch of other stuff. I rebuilt/refinished the original Tripower carb setup myself. Have Jet Hot coated Hedman Husler headers, 3-inch stainless exhaust with x-over. Engine hasn't been fired yet so don't know how that turned out.

Then Wayne tells me the new motor should easily put out over 500 hp and 550-570 ft-lbs and it's likely my old 10-bolt rear axle won't survive 2 launches. And after beefing up the rear, the old Muncie 4-speed won't last much longer.

I've been acquainted with Tom from OTE for a few years from local car shows, so I was thinking of him to do some of the upgrades needed. Then I found out that he and Wayne had worked together on many cars, so the 3 of us got together and hatched a plan to get the GTO to the next level. Then I had to convince my wife to let me spend a big pile of money to make it happen. That was surprisingly easy, I wonder if she's cheating on me...

The original plan was to buy a new Supercase Muncie M22 trans and strengthen the rear axle a bit. But after pricing out those options, and thinking about what I really wanted, which was a reliable but pretty wicked street car that I could actually drive places while still being able to tear up the 1/4 mile, I ended up going with a Keisler Tremec TKO600 5-speed and a Moser Engineering 12-bolt with all the goodies. Plus replacing the stock control arms with some boxed lowers and adjustable uppers.

Of course then nothing else on the car was good enough... I was over at OTE one day looking at the car after Tom pulled off all the junk I was getting rid of, and realized the only piece still on the bottom of the car was the gas tank. So why don't we trash that and get a new one? And those brake and fuel lines are ugly, how about new ones? And so on, this conversation was repeated about a dozen times resulting in the bottom of the car and the engine compartment being completely stripped and repainted, and all the parts being either completely restored or replaced with new.

There are a million more details but this is turning into a book so if anyone has any specific questions I would be more than happy to babble on at length about it ;)

GTO Jeff
05-20-2010, 04:57 PM
As in Brain?

I'm confused... :confused

URLOZIN
05-20-2010, 07:51 PM
Welcome to BCM!!

Ricky Bobby
05-20-2010, 07:56 PM
welcome do u know ron marshall he is on here a little (rontiac) on here has a 71 lemans wagon with a poncho motor also built by wayne he lives down in lake villa il??

GTSLOW
05-20-2010, 09:08 PM
Welcome nice car!!

Prince Valiant
05-20-2010, 09:34 PM
There are a million more details but this is turning into a book so if anyone has any specific questions I would be more than happy to babble on at length about it ;)Talk a little about the heads...what do they flow vs that of a normal poncho head? I love the BOP-C stuff...especially some of the aftermarket vendors that really bring some good stuff to the market for these things (case in point, TA performance and all the stuff they make even for the 350 buick, the bulldog heads for caddy's, etc).

What's the difference b/w a stroker 400 and just a 455 pontiac? Basically the same or is there some other advantage?

Ricky Bobby
05-20-2010, 09:55 PM
from what i hear from rontiac and those guys the kaufmanns are the cats ass for those motors :thumbsup as for numbers dont have a clue lol

team beater
05-20-2010, 10:11 PM
Hoping to meet some more car folks this summer. I helped organize and run a new cruise night this summer on Tuesday nights at Brew City Grill in Mequon. At the moment it is heavily slanted towards European cars but I would love to increase the number of American cars there, especially old muscle cars or modified late-models. I'll start a thread about the cruise night in the events sub-forum.

Was just up there Tuesday, I was in my red c4 on white wheels. Cool show, ill be up again this Tuesday for vette night.

TransAm12sec
05-20-2010, 10:11 PM
Hey Jeff, it's Lance. Hope you've been enjoying Brew City Grill, I'll make it out some night after finals.

loud91rs
05-20-2010, 10:16 PM
Car looked good! Got a peak at it when I dropped my camaro off. Love the color!

GTO Jeff
05-20-2010, 10:49 PM
Was just up there Tuesday, I was in my red c4 on white wheels. Cool show, ill be up again this Tuesday for vette night.

I saw your car, I had the blue BMW 335i coupe parked a few down the row from you. Not sure what I'll be driving next week but I'll look for your 'vette and say hi.

Hey Jeff, it's Lance. Hope you've been enjoying Brew City Grill, I'll make it out some night after finals.

Hey Lance! See ya soon.

Car looked good! Got a peak at it when I dropped my camaro off. Love the color!

Thanks, hopefully it will be done soon!

hrsp
05-20-2010, 10:53 PM
welcome to the JuNGLE

GTO Jeff
05-20-2010, 11:00 PM
Talk a little about the heads...what do they flow vs that of a normal poncho head? I love the BOP-C stuff...especially some of the aftermarket vendors that really bring some good stuff to the market for these things (case in point, TA performance and all the stuff they make even for the 350 buick, the bulldog heads for caddy's, etc).

What's the difference b/w a stroker 400 and just a 455 pontiac? Basically the same or is there some other advantage?

Stock Poncho heads flow about 200-210 cfm (intake at .5" lift). The KRE's flow about 260-270 cfm right out of the box. The KRE's also have a modern combustion chamber design with angled spark plugs, a much better design than the stockers. Plus the KRE's weigh about half as much as the iron heads.

A stroker 400 has a few more cubes than a standard 455 and a slightly longer stroke (depending on which configuration you choose). A 400 block has 3" main bearing journals while the 455 has 3.25" journals. So depending on your beliefs or what you think is more important you could choose the marginally stronger larger journals or the lower bearing speeds of the smaller journals.

from what i hear from rontiac and those guys the kaufmanns are the cats ass for those motors :thumbsup as for numbers dont have a clue lol

Wayne says the Kauffmans are great and he runs them on is car so I believe him :)

97z2801ss
05-21-2010, 01:01 AM
welcome to bcm man! car looks bad ass!

william schlosser
05-22-2010, 11:10 AM
Welcome to the site.