PDA

View Full Version : I need iPhone help :(

Neal Steffek
05-18-2010, 09:05 AM
So I was out last night and lost my iphone. Where do I go to see where it is with the bult in GPS thingy. I went to the ATT site but cant see where to find my phone. :(

Deggy
05-18-2010, 09:06 AM
MobileMe

Neal Steffek
05-18-2010, 09:10 AM
MobileMe

They want my Credit card. is that normal?

Deggy
05-18-2010, 09:12 AM
I think you eventually have to pay for it, I think there is like a free 30 day trial or something. Just don't use it after 30 days, or cancel it. Whatever you need to do. Hope you find your phone. If you can't figure it out on your own, go to an Apple store, they can help you.

Neal Steffek
05-18-2010, 09:18 AM
I went to the site, filled out all the info but it say no device registerd. Did I have to load the software onto the phone first? I thought I could just find it. Hmmm.

wheelsofsteel
05-18-2010, 09:18 AM
The mobileme was a $70 upgrade when I purchased my phone. It was this bundle package.
Never the less, I hope your phone is located.

Neal Steffek
05-18-2010, 09:22 AM
The mobileme was a $70 upgrade when I purchased my phone. It was this bundle package.
Never the less, I hope your phone is located.

yikes, $70 ? I think i will have to just go buy a new one. :(

xxtremeteam
05-18-2010, 09:36 AM
a new iphone will run well over 300.00 so 70.00 seems like a deal to me

Neal Steffek
05-18-2010, 09:37 AM
a new iphone will run well over 300.00 so 70.00 seems like a deal to me

thats IF I can find it/get it back. Either way I think I am SOL

Moparjim
05-18-2010, 09:41 AM
Use this opportunity to buy a Droid!

I beleive there are a ton of free apps for finding your lost phone on the Droid...

Deggy
05-18-2010, 09:49 AM
Use this opportunity to buy a Droid!

I beleive there are a ton of free apps for finding your lost phone on the Droid...

Not trying to be a dick at all, but how does an application help you find the phone, if you don't have the phone to turn on the app? I've never owned a Droid so I don't know how they operate.

I did hear about something like if you have a friend text your Droid asking "where is my droid" or something like that it will start ringing even if its off. True?

BR3W CITY
05-18-2010, 11:07 AM
its a background application, not something you have to having running to work, then when its accessed it can tell you its location.

I've heard some people use it to recover stolen phones, but I don't know HOW accurate it is.

theavenger333
05-18-2010, 11:48 PM
you have to have the iphone registered with the software to make that work. you're SOL neal. however, call ATT, you can report it stolen, and they'll lock it the second it gets turned on. at least the thief will get nothing

Moparjim
05-19-2010, 10:12 AM
Not trying to be a dick at all, but how does an application help you find the phone, if you don't have the phone to turn on the app? I've never owned a Droid so I don't know how they operate.

I did hear about something like if you have a friend text your Droid asking "where is my droid" or something like that it will start ringing even if its off. True?

Yeah its a background app, you install it and register your phone or whatever. If its lost or stolen, you can then use a web page to ping it and locate it using its GPS much like other GPS tracking devices.

Moparjim
05-19-2010, 10:13 AM
you have to have the iphone registered with the software to make that work. you're SOL neal. however, call ATT, you can report it stolen, and they'll lock it the second it gets turned on. at least the thief will get nothing

Yeah same with the Droid apps, I beleive all of them you need to install on the phone and set it up/register it BEFORE you lose it or its stolen...

Neal Steffek
05-19-2010, 11:03 AM
Yeah same with the Droid apps, I beleive all of them you need to install on the phone and set it up/register it BEFORE you lose it or its stolen...

To me that is just silly. The phone has a gps in it, Apple/ATT should just fnd it. There is no need for extra software or $ to do it. I am going to have to go to the Apple store today to find out what it will cost for a new phone now. :(

wheelsofsteel
05-19-2010, 11:06 AM
To me that is just silly. The phone has a gps in it, Apple/ATT should just fnd it. There is no need for extra software or $ to do it. I am going to have to go to the Apple store today to find out what it will cost for a new phone now. :(

That is the one thing that blows about the 2 year contract. I was out of contact with AT&T so I got the new contract price for the phone ($99). But they said within that 2 years if the phone is lost/stolen etc that the replacement price is the full price of the phone, $499. YIKES !!

Car Guy
05-19-2010, 12:07 PM
The phone has a gps in it

I was told all phones have GPS tracking capability.....

Rocket Power
05-19-2010, 12:28 PM
I was told all phones have GPS tracking capability.....

Depends how old it is

wheelsofsteel
05-19-2010, 12:54 PM
Depends how old it is

It's an Iphone, how old can it be?

wheelsofsteel
05-19-2010, 01:29 PM
Here is alittle trick that I think would work...
If they are going to try and hit you with a $500 replacement, I would eat the $175 early termination fee and sign up as a new customer with another provider.

Rocket Power
05-19-2010, 02:34 PM
It's an Iphone, how old can it be?
I was responding to his thought that ALL phones have GPS, obviously an Iphone is new enough

Neal Steffek
05-19-2010, 02:58 PM
Here is alittle trick that I think would work...
If they are going to try and hit you with a $500 replacement, I would eat the $175 early termination fee and sign up as a new customer with another provider.

Hmmm, I should remember that when I go to the Apple store today then. If they try to tell me $500 for a new phone I will be able to use this as leverage on them.

I will let you all know what they say.

Undertaker
05-19-2010, 05:48 PM
AT&T Family Map. You can add the feature on at www.wireless.att.com. It is free for 30 days than $15 a month after. I think the website is familymap.att.com

buttersgt350
05-19-2010, 08:17 PM
that att family map thing is cool. i might have to get that as my son will be 14 this summer.

That_Guy
05-19-2010, 09:38 PM
its a background application, not something you have to having running to work, then when its accessed it can tell you its location.

I've heard some people use it to recover stolen phones, but I don't know HOW accurate it is.

I have the app its called where's my driod. You text ur phone with a phrase then it turns the ringer on and sends back a text with the cordinates of the phone to the phone u textd from. I believe that's the where's my driod app I've got so many free ones that do aboutg or around the same thing. Or use one another to inhance.