PDA

View Full Version : Need advice.....

Car Guy
05-16-2010, 11:16 PM
Somebody is interested in purchasing an engine I pulled from a `02 Cavalier with 15k miles. The engine is solid but this person does not know me personally and wants a contract stating a full refund will be given if the engine is defective. I am about as honest a person as you will find and would have no problem signing a contract IF we lived in a perfect/honest world, which we do not. I have been around the automotive block more than once and know all too well what can happen. This person could add gasoline to the crankcase instead of oil after dropping LSD and then claim the engine is defective or outright lie simply to get his money back.....

Will I leave myself open to unwarranted BS with a contract like this...???

badass88gt
05-16-2010, 11:20 PM
Sell it as is, no returns, no refunds. Youre selling a used engine, not a brand new crate engine. You're not Wal-Mart. They dont like it, then dont buy it.

Prince Valiant
05-16-2010, 11:24 PM
You could offer a refund imo...but then charge a 250 dollar non-refundable fee to offer said warranty.

The reality is you are not a business per se...you're in no position to really offer refunds as being one guy, it's too hard to know if you're getting scammed or anything like that, or to have the means to catch them.

GTSLOW
05-16-2010, 11:31 PM
Just like you said, in todays world there's waaay to many idiots out there. Unless you're really strapped for cash I wouldn't even entertain the idea, and even then you may end up even more in need of cash if all goes to hell.

Car Guy
05-16-2010, 11:32 PM
The responses are appreciated guys, I decided to tell him ‘as-is’ and accept a lost sale if he walks. A few hundy is not worth the gray hair I would recieve from a worse case scenario.....:goof

TransAm12sec
05-16-2010, 11:43 PM
I'm sure a engine shop taking it apart and inspecting it would give the guy piece of mind. But it's a 4 cylinder out of a Caviler, not a used steam turbine generator being looked at by Regenco.

Might be worth calling a shop and asking what that would cost.

hrsp
05-16-2010, 11:49 PM
yeah he gets it in beats the shit out of it and goes boom..then wants a refund...all bad

Car Guy
05-17-2010, 12:12 AM
I'm sure a engine shop taking it apart and inspecting it would give the guy piece of mind. Might be worth calling a shop and asking what that would cost.

I thought about this but who would pay for the inspection and who would transport the combo to/from the shop, will NOT be me. This person would be getting a great deal ($400 for a 15k mile engine AND transmission - still together) and is still unsure about purchasing because of the price. I forgot to mention this person is not from the Milwaukee area which makes me more reluctant to make this deal happen. A friendly email saying "no thank you" to his conditions will be sent shortly.....:)

wrencher
05-17-2010, 08:00 AM
If they want a warranty buy a rebuilt engine. With a used engine, you get what you get.
How can you warranty something you didn't build/make?

Waver
05-17-2010, 09:55 AM
Well why dont you offer to install it for him/herfor a small non refundable fee. Then YOU know that there isnt anything funny going on with the install

Car Guy
05-17-2010, 10:05 AM
Well why dont you offer to install it for him/herfor a small non refundable fee. Then YOU know that there isnt anything funny going on with the install

I have nowhere to perform an engine swap; sold the house (garage) and 95% of my tools/equipment.....