PDA

View Full Version : Free Railroad ties!!!!!

73MACH
05-16-2010, 01:07 PM
I have I think 17 railroad ties I was going to start making a retaining wall, but it's to big of a job for me.

They are 8.5 feet long and 8 in. x 6 in. and about 150lbs.

Come get them, I help load.

(920)362-4057

Jason

Mr Twigbert
05-17-2010, 10:00 AM
Can these be cut? My land scaping in my back yard has some RRT and they are rotting out. I would love to take a few.

Yooformula
05-17-2010, 10:05 AM
I could use some also. get a trailer Sean, we can use my truck.

TraceDaddy
05-17-2010, 10:40 AM
Can these be cut? My land scaping in my back yard has some RRT and they are rotting out. I would love to take a few.

Chainsaws work. Let me know if there are some left when you guys are through. I could find use for them too.

Mr Twigbert
05-17-2010, 12:43 PM
How long are these?

Only reason I ask if they can be cut is I have some in my back yard that the previous owners used for landscaping and they are now about rotted out.. And it looks like they have metal in them so I wasn't sure if they are designed like that to make em stronger and last longer..

Yoo and I talked and I think we need about 8 or so.. I could use 1-2 depending on how long they are and Yoo could use about 6 or so..

Anyone have a trailer Yoo and I could use to get these to our houses.. I live 30 a couple streets over from Yoo..

wikked
05-17-2010, 03:59 PM
The only metal they might have in them, are a leftover railroad spike that was missed when they were pulled off the track, or the 'S' type thing hammered into the endcap (only a inch wide or so).

If you mean the rebar that is running through them, that was hammered in by your previous owner to stabilize the wall. It needs to be done, usually one on each end of the rr tie, then stagger the ties each row after that, to make it more structurally sound, and also so you don't drill down/hammer into the rebar below it.
If you really want to get crazy, you can also lay a rr tie vertical between every horizontal one on the bottom row, and toe the horizontals into the verticals.
Probably only need to do that if you are building it more than 4ft high.

Super double crazy support: put eyehooks into the verticals about 3 ft down the tie, and an eyehook on the horizontal across from the other eyehook, then use chain or steel wire to connect the two... that wall isn't coming down.

*protip* squirt some dishsoap down the holes you drill/lube up the rebar before hammering, makes it go in easier.

73MACH
05-17-2010, 07:06 PM
Twigbert and yoo, they are 8in.x6in.x 8 & a half feet long. Some do still have the plate on and spikes in them. They weigh about 150lbs a piece from the creosote they soak them in. You can deffinetly cut them with a chainsaw, but your chain will be done by the time your done cutting from the creosote.

All 17 are still here, and if you need more, my boss has over 100 of them in waukesha from a recent job. Just let me know when you want to come, I'm open pretty much any evening or weekend except for this Wed. and Fri. evenings. I could load some up in my truck.......if there is like 2 or 3 left.......I only have a lil ranger:(

Mr Twigbert
05-18-2010, 12:23 PM
I want and need a few so as soon as I can score someone with a full size truck / trailer I will be in touch. Where abouts are you? Might have to do multiple trips.