PDA

View Full Version : To go with the other Cop shooting thread...

Lash
05-15-2010, 10:36 AM
lets look at the extreme opposite. After watching this can you blame anybody for being a little quick on the trigger? The story is a little old but I though it would follow suit well...

WARNING- VIDEO IS EXTREMELY GRAPHIC!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GX5kwVc9IOk

Deputy Kyle Dinkheller, Laurens County, GA, was minutes from being off duty when he encountered a speeding pickup truck going 98 mph. The deputy was an ICE (Interstate Criminal Enforcement) officer that dealt with traffic infractions, speeding and the occasional drug bust. This was a low risk or unknown risk stop for speeding. He radioed in the speeding infraction, made a U-turn in the median and pursued the vehicle. The driver, Andrew Brannan, stopped his vehicle, exited and started a crazy, dancing jig in the middle of the road while swearing at the officer and shouting Im a god-damned Vietnam vet. At first, he ignored Dinkhellers commands to step towards the deputy, which always began with `Sir. When he finally complied, he attacked the deputy and a scuffle ensued. The deputy implemented the use of his asp and ordered Brannan to `get back. This procedure was repeated, but after what appeared to be a second scuffle, the suspect returned to his vehicle and retrieved a M-I Carbine from under the seat. The first shots were fired nearly 50 seconds after Brannan returned to his vehicle despite the deputys commands. Brannan ignored the repeated commands to put the gun down and Deputy Dinkheller apparently fired the first shot. Brannan, a Vietnam veteran, advanced firing on the deputy. Dinkheller returned fire, but succeeded only in breaking a window in the drivers side of the pickup and wounding Brannan in the stomach. Using `suppressive fire, Brannan systematically, methodically shot Dinkheller in the arms, legs, exposed areas that would not be covered had Dinkheller been wearing a bulletproof vest, slowly executing him. Reloading his weapon Brannan continued firing with the final death shot to Dinkhellers right eye. "The entire incident was videotaped by a camera in Deputy Dinkheller's patrol car. On January 28, 2000, the suspect was found guilty of murder and was sentenced to death two days later."

http://www.odmp.org/officer/15034-deputy-kyle-wayne-dinkheller

TheRX7Project
05-15-2010, 11:03 AM
We saw this video and had like a 6 page thread about it roughly 2 months ago.

nismodave
05-15-2010, 11:23 AM
Wow

Car Guy
05-15-2010, 11:24 AM
That video is VERY hard to watch knowing what happens.....:(

We saw this video and had like a 6 page thread about it roughly 2 months ago.

I never saw the thread.....

VroomPshhTsi
05-15-2010, 12:36 PM
Yeah definite re-post but I understand the point you are trying to make.

My point is that the guy in this video was hostile from the beginning. Once the guy showed how pissed off/crazy he was, the cop should have drawn his gun. For the motorcycle guy, he wasn't yelling, he wasn't hostile or moving around, he was sitting on his bike. Two very different people and two very different outcomes.

These are examples why being a cop is so hard. You have a very short amount of time to judge if the guy you pulled over is a crazy psycho who is going to try to kill you, or a law abiding citizen who is not hostile. These are just two examples of when the cop made the wrong choice; this one wasn't forceful enough, the motorcycle cop was too forceful.

TheRX7Project
05-15-2010, 01:34 PM
Guess it was 2 pages, and 3 months:
http://www.brewcitymuscle.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44115&highlight=Dinkheller

Yooformula
05-15-2010, 01:54 PM
wow. I never read the thread the first time and I wish I never watched that video.

Prince Valiant
05-15-2010, 01:55 PM
This is why you don't wait to actually *see* the gun drawn...

Yooformula
05-15-2010, 01:57 PM
wtf! convicted in 2000 but as of 08 still alive and filing appeals.

T-Bag
05-15-2010, 03:38 PM
I remember seeing this video...honestly the cop should have shot A LONG time before that...Like as soon as the guy started shuffling in his truck.

wrencher
05-15-2010, 06:03 PM
I remember seeing this video...honestly the cop should have shot A LONG time before that...Like as soon as the guy started shuffling in his truck.
Exactly what I was thinking. He was telling him to drop the gun/weapon long before he began shooting.

hrsp
05-15-2010, 11:00 PM
still very disturbing..

hrsp
05-15-2010, 11:06 PM
still wish the cop would have killed that sick old fuck...makes me so angry

HITMAN
05-16-2010, 06:55 AM
Wow, that was hard to watch and even harder to listen to, especially after that deputy was wounded. To all of the "I would have done this and that" crowd: What all of you fail to realize is A) in an accuracy contest rifle beats handgun, EVERY TIME, and B) crazy, trained AND Experienced! will beat just plain training EVERY TIME. That deputy was just a 22 year old kid who's most exciting event in his career prior to this was probably some drunk bubba resisting arrest on an OWI going up against a deranged man with combat experience. Nothing like having your ass shot at every day to get you ready to be shot at. Being able to drill holes in paper at the range ain't exactly the same thing. This kid was in way over his head and didn't know it. When this OBVIOUSLY unbalanced individual went back to his vehicle, that deputy should have used the oportunity to grab the scatter-gun out of the rack in his car. At that range with the firepower of a twelve gauge he would probably have emerged from this situation alive and victorious. It's really a shame what happened to him and I feel terrible for his family.

Lash
05-16-2010, 08:53 AM
Wow, that was hard to watch and even harder to listen to, especially after that deputy was wounded. To all of the "I would have done this and that" crowd: What all of you fail to realize is A) in an accuracy contest rifle beats handgun, EVERY TIME, and B) crazy, trained AND Experienced! will beat just plain training EVERY TIME. That deputy was just a 22 year old kid who's most exciting event in his career prior to this was probably some drunk bubba resisting arrest on an OWI going up against a deranged man with combat experience. Nothing like having your ass shot at every day to get you ready to be shot at. Being able to drill holes in paper at the range ain't exactly the same thing. This kid was in way over his head and didn't know it. When this OBVIOUSLY unbalanced individual went back to his vehicle, that deputy should have used the oportunity to grab the scatter-gun out of the rack in his car. At that range with the firepower of a twelve gauge he would probably have emerged from this situation alive and victorious. It's really a shame what happened to him and I feel terrible for his family.

Good post! :thumbsup

T-Bag
05-16-2010, 09:46 AM

A Rifle doesn't beat a handgun if the person isn't ALLOWED to get to the rifle. The old guy didn't seem like he used his "combat experience" much as he was standing in broad daylight. Its not hard to point and shoot with a rifle from 20 feet away.

I disagree on wasting time to get your shotgun, all while you ALLOW the guy to get his gun. He had ample time to charge in and take the guy out. I'm no cop, so correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe he gave plenty of warning to warrant opening fire as soon as he saw the guy lay a finger on the gun.

I could go on and say if it were my life, I would have opened fire, but then again I've never been in a life or death situation like that, and who knows if I'd have the nerves either when put in that situation. It takes a lot to make the decision to take a man's life.

I kind of feel bad for arguing about this as tragic as the whole thing was.

HITMAN
05-16-2010, 07:01 PM
A Rifle doesn't beat a handgun if the person isn't ALLOWED to get to the rifle. The old guy didn't seem like he used his "combat experience" much as he was standing in broad daylight. Its not hard to point and shoot with a rifle from 20 feet away.

I disagree on wasting time to get your shotgun, all while you ALLOW the guy to get his gun. He had ample time to charge in and take the guy out. I'm no cop, so correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe he gave plenty of warning to warrant opening fire as soon as he saw the guy lay a finger on the gun.

I could go on and say if it were my life, I would have opened fire, but then again I've never been in a life or death situation like that, and who knows if I'd have the nerves either when put in that situation. It takes a lot to make the decision to take a man's life.

I kind of feel bad for arguing about this as tragic as the whole thing was.

This kid was probably scared as shit and waiting for back-up, just like he was trained. Shit happened before his back-up showed. Charging up to the perp and blowing the back of his head of probably would have been prudent considering the unfortunate outcome, but he had no-way of knowing that and it would have bee a bad shooting had the man turned out to be unarmed and just off his meds. What the kid did have was FIFTY seconds to break his shotty out of the rack before this kook decided to have his Vietnam flash-back. The shotty would have been one helluva lot more intimidating than some shitty 9mm Glock. And for your information combat experience and crazy is EXACTLY what would cause someone to leave cover and charge someone firing at him. The kook also had the presence of mind to shoot the deputy in his limbs as his vest wasn't protecting them. Once incapacitated, the deputy was executed, hence the Death Penalty for the nut-job.

Lets face it, it really doesn't pay to get too far into it as we have no idea what the deputy's state-of mind actually was, and unless we are actually put into that situation ourselves we have no idea how we will truly act under similar circumstances.

Tragic ending no matter what. :(

BigSnailBuick
05-17-2010, 01:44 AM
God rest his soul. In no way do I mean to offend anyone but I see multiple problems with this. First off plain and simple the second the cop saw the gun he should have drawn and fired after a few seconds. second..I know alot of people on here go shooting all the time like myself and there is no way in hell I would have missed that guy with that many shots behind cover popping out or not!!! Adren pumping etc etc dont matter.. No way would that guy have got that close...how did he just walk up to the right side and then to the left...it was just like a casual walk. I see at least 4-5 times that guy should have got hallowed out by someone trained to shoot a gun. Fucked up situation right there. Im not saying im Bob Munden or anything but everyone here that shoots knows they would have hit that guy with ease when he just jogged to the right side of the car...yet the kid could have been looking down..to the side..reloading..dropped the gun...who knows :( . As stated before this was an obvious case of the kid just losing track of his mind in this intense situation and obviously locking up. Sick old fuck should get let loose in a canyon as the family all sits up top with 50 cals and a few rounds.

Yooformula
05-17-2010, 02:41 AM

I would say that his combat experience and experience TRAINING soldiers was shown in his calmness and methodical shots in the face of gunfire. Not to mention to be able to use his doorway as cover and being able to see that the line of fire for the cop was obstructed by his door.