PDA

View Full Version : I don't know what I want to be when I grow up anymore...

fivonut
05-12-2010, 05:21 AM
(sorry, this is a long read)

I'm 34, I have a 2 year degree in electronics (since 99), I'm 3/4 of the way through a BS in management. 2 years ago I was certain that a management career with Miller Electric was everything I'd ever want. I had an excellent leader as a mentor, I was given leadership of a line within 6 months of starting for them, and they were paying my way through school. Then in late 08 the economy took a dive, 90% of my team got let go, I got displaced to another department and that's where it all went downhill.

The new management treated myself and the other 21 displaced employees like we owed them a personal favor for saving our jobs. They had no interest in letting me continue on the path I had started. One manager even told me within 2 weeks of starting there that I better make sure someone was going to cover my schooling before I took anymore classes. LOL, it was a company benefit. I sucked it up for many months and within the last 3 or 4 it's become too much to bear. The management is ignorant and inexperienced, I find no satisfaction in the work, and the environment is bad enough to make even the most optimistic person want to commit suicide.

I've been frustrated and angry with ignorant managers. I've been looking for other jobs and a couple weeks ago I saw a light at the end of the tunnel when a position similar to my old one became available in another department within the same company. So I posted for it and interviewed with the department HR rep and Production Coordinator. Everything I heard from them was encouraging and they seemed to want me there as much as I wanted to be there. Enter corporate politics.

Another guy had posted for the job, just to see what it was about. By his own admission and through personal conversation with him he was not really interested in the job and stated many times he probably wouldn't take it. By company policy when all candidates are considered equal the decision is made on seniority so the job was offered to him. He ho hummed about it for a day, saying he didn't want it, but due to other policies if he turned it down he wouldn't be able to apply for another job for 12 months, so he accepted it.

Here's where my temper gets me in trouble, I was venting to another co-worker and told them if he was standing in front of me now, I'd beat him to a bloody pulp. I should have known better, this other co-worker is the tattle tale type. Sunday night I went in for my regular shift and was met by a manager and HR. One day suspension until they figure out what to do. In the mean time I vented again, to a friend, saying the co-worker who turned me in better pray to god I never see them out and about. Someone was looking over his shoulder as he was reading the text and went to management. Decision made, terminated.

I know, it's my own fault. I shoulda kept my mouth shut and my temper in check. But, honestly, I was on my out. I've been applying for jobs for the last few months. All this does is move up the time table and take away my ability to be picky. The problem is, I don't know what I want to do anymore. I can't think of anything that would interest me. I don't expect to jump into a management role off the street, and I'm not 100% sure that that's even what I want anymore. I've always pictured myself being self employed, I enjoy the freedom and it's easier for my personality if I don't have to answer to some moron with a title who I don't respect. I don't have the luxury of time any more, but I don't know where to go or what to do either...

STANMAN
05-12-2010, 05:52 AM
At least you learned a business lesson: The only thing you can trust to always be there is your shadow.

When push comes to shove in the business world, everything else is just there for convinience. Now that you have that figured out, it should at least make things more clear on where you want to head. Good luck:thumbsup

BR3W CITY
05-12-2010, 07:35 AM
Now that you don't work there, take time to follow up on your threats.

wrath
05-12-2010, 07:36 AM
You made yourself a liability so they shitcanned you for cause. It's difficult, but I'd learn to vent somewhere other than work if you value your job. I'd recommend not using this employer for any references.

Things about a company larger than 50 employees all should know:
More often than not, the Peter Principle got your manager to where they are. If that's not the case you're damn lucky and/or their boss is probably looking to replace them with a "Yes" man.
Someone is always looking and working hard to make sure they get *your* next job, at any cost to *you*.
People will do their best to keep their options open, regardless of how it hurts peers or the company.
Hard and efficiently completed work will usually be rewarded with more work.
The tallest blade of grass gets cut and kept under a glass ceiling, the lowest hanging fruit gets plucked and terminated or promoted out of harm's way.
If it's good for them, it's good enough for the company.
If you've had a chance to regret it, chances are someone already tattled on you.

I suggest either finding a smaller company to work for that you can fit in with the camaraderie or work in a really large company (2,000+ employees) so you can hide.

You're always going to have run-ins with management, especially as they become more abstracted from "real work" and as the company gains levels of management and/or becomes larger. As time progresses, they forget that not every employee (cog) can be replaced with just any other employee (cog) in their machine. So they lose respect for their employee's talent and with time this leads to both the superior and subordinate having neither trust nor respect for each other. This leads to the situation you find employees just doing what they think they should do and by the time management figures out that what they've been doing hasn't been exactly what they're told either the employee or the manager has moved on to the next job.

animal
05-12-2010, 07:41 AM
Wow, something I actually agree with wrath on. Good post man. :thumbsup

fivonut
05-12-2010, 07:54 AM
You made yourself a liability so they shitcanned you for cause. It's difficult, but I'd learn to vent somewhere other than work if you value your job. I'd recommend not using this employer for any references.

Things about a company larger than 50 employees all should know:
More often than not, the Peter Principle got your manager to where they are. If that's not the case you're damn lucky and/or their boss is probably looking to replace them with a "Yes" man.
Someone is always looking and working hard to make sure they get *your* next job, at any cost to *you*.
People will do their best to keep their options open, regardless of how it hurts peers or the company.
Hard and efficiently completed work will usually be rewarded with more work.
The tallest blade of grass gets cut and kept under a glass ceiling, the lowest hanging fruit gets plucked and terminated or promoted out of harm's way.
If it's good for them, it's good enough for the company.
If you've had a chance to regret it, chances are someone already tattled on you.

I suggest either finding a smaller company to work for that you can fit in with the camaraderie or work in a really large company (2,000+ employees) so you can hide.

You're always going to have run-ins with management, especially as they become more abstracted from "real work" and as the company gains levels of management and/or becomes larger. As time progresses, they forget that not every employee (cog) can be replaced with just any other employee (cog) in their machine. So they lose respect for their employee's talent and with time this leads to both the superior and subordinate having neither trust nor respect for each other. This leads to the situation you find employees just doing what they think they should do and by the time management figures out that what they've been doing hasn't been exactly what they're told either the employee or the manager has moved on to the next job.

It is what it is. I no longer valued this job, that's where the problems all began.

kornholio788
05-12-2010, 09:10 AM
Your title sounds like something I said to myself in the 4th grade. So do what everyone else did. Say you want to be astronaut. Or a ballerina.

Moparjim
05-12-2010, 09:34 AM
Sad to say, you just summarized the new breed of "management" at just about every company in this country. There's been a definite shift towards employee hating (they cost us money!), outsourcing, bean counting, poor business decision making, buzzword of the day management all over the place nowadays. Its what ruined Chrysler that's for sure. No longer is there anyone that cares about or knows anything about cars managing there...

CATNHAT
05-12-2010, 10:07 AM
The other problem is that there isnt any loyalty anymore. Not from management, not from coworkers, not from the "cogs".

A lot of people think they need to screw someone over in order to get advancement. Not sure where that mentality comes from but it is certainly what I have seen and experienced in the last 10 years and getting worse.

And the "tattle tale" is the most annoying person to work with, second is the suck up "yes" man. Douchebags.

Good luck on your search!

PureSound15
05-12-2010, 11:01 AM
You simply got caught saying what everyone else had/has been saying under their breath.

At least manufacturing hasn't been moving out of the valley much. Hopefully you find something sooner than later.

Prince Valiant
05-12-2010, 11:10 AM
Is anyone brave enough to say anything critical, when we KNOW what your gun collection consist of and your propensity to vent about bloodying people up?

I'm joking, I'm joking...

wrath
05-12-2010, 11:13 AM
Loyalty is a thing of the past. The 80s were spent by white collar middle management screwing over blue collar labor. Since then it's been about executives screwing over lower level white collar labor. My generation (I'm the tail end of X/beginning of Millennials) saw this and has zero loyalty. Used to be it took 20% for someone to switch jobs. Someone my age switches for 5%.

I don't have any loyalty either really, I'm one of those screwballs that values their work environment more than the almighty dollar. If the work environment becomes one such that is the same as another place that has higher pay I'll be gone in a heartbeat.

That's another problem with companies today. They don't value talent. They think anyone is replaceable. And they are. The problem is that the few bucks you have to spend to retain talent is much less than the dollars you have to spend to train someone to replace them. And in the case of young people, there is always someone willing to spend an extra $3k in salary to pick up freshly trained talent. So companies that still live by the "you make more the longer you work here" mantra end up never having young people working there. The pay curve for young professionals is more logarithmic than linear.

fivonut
05-12-2010, 11:19 AM
Is anyone brave enough to say anything critical, when we KNOW what your gun collection consist of and your propensity to vent about bloodying people up?

I'm joking, I'm joking...

LOL, my old man said the same thing!!!

fivonut
05-12-2010, 11:29 AM
Loyalty is a thing of the past. The 80s were spent by white collar middle management screwing over blue collar labor. Since then it's been about executives screwing over lower level white collar labor. My generation (I'm the tail end of X/beginning of Millennials) saw this and has zero loyalty. Used to be it took 20% for someone to switch jobs. Someone my age switches for 5%.

I don't have any loyalty either really, I'm one of those screwballs that values their work environment more than the almighty dollar. If the work environment becomes one such that is the same as another place that has higher pay I'll be gone in a heartbeat.

That's another problem with companies today. They don't value talent. They think anyone is replaceable. And they are. The problem is that the few bucks you have to spend to retain talent is much less than the dollars you have to spend to train someone to replace them. And in the case of young people, there is always someone willing to spend an extra $3k in salary to pick up freshly trained talent. So companies that still live by the "you make more the longer you work here" mantra end up never having young people working there. The pay curve for young professionals is more logarithmic than linear.

We talked a lot about this subject in an Organizational Behavior and HR Management class I took recently. They are teaching the subject differently now. Newer management philosophy has you recognizing that Gen X and Gen Y have very different job expectations than the Baby Boomers and older. Most of the focus is on creating a positive atmosphere and open lines of communication that leave the employee feeling appreciated. My problem with this department was that of the 3 Production Coordinators 1 has been around for 40 years and has a very outdated management philosophy and the other two only have 2 year electronics degrees and less than 5 years management experience and no desire to improve themselves. The one brags about his experience as a girls track coach as if it makes him qualified to hold his position.

Ahhhhhh, that's enough dwelling. I'm trying to figure out where to go next. I found a couple service positions I applied for. I always enjoyed the change of scenery and daily challenges that came with those types of jobs.