PDA

View Full Version : Bcm i need your help

Waver
05-08-2010, 04:47 PM
On May 19th I am going to be doing the first leg (Joliet to St.Louis) of the 2010 Route 66 Rally to help benefit the Stefanie Spielman Foundation for Breast Cancer research, and I need your help! I am looking for any help with donations to this great cause, with the end goal of being able to hand over a decent sized check at the starting line of the rally to the rally organizer, Scott Spielman.

A little background taken from the main foundation website:

Stefanie Spielman grew up in a loving home in northeastern Ohio and married her high school sweetheart after they graduated from Ohio State. Her husband, Chris, was an All-American football player and went on to have an all-pro career in the NFL for over ten years.

During a breast self exam in 1998, Stefanie found a lemon-sized lump. She mentioned it to her doctor, who diagnosed her with breast cancer. Stefanie was only 30 years old.

The Spielmans’ strong belief in family led Chris to take a year off from football to stay home and care for his family, bringing them unexpected national attention. By publicly talking about breast cancer, more and more people learned about the disease and the importance of education and prevention. Stefanie and Chris realized they could use their unique situation to do more.

Among the many well-wishers, a local grocery chain asked Chris what they could do to help. He urged them to raise money for the OSUCCC-James, where Stefanie was undergoing treatment. For one dollar, shoppers bought paper footballs to sign to be plastered on store windows. Across the state and especially in central Ohio, support came in many forms – bake sales, golf tournaments and lots in between as a way to raise money for the fund.

Initially, Stefanie and Chris had a goal of raising $250,000. Within the first six months, more than $1 million dollars had been raised for The Stefanie Spielman Fund for Breast Cancer Research. Today – through their work and the extraordinary grassroots support by Community Partners – more than $6.5 million has been raised to support breast cancer patients and research at the OSUCCC-James.

Over the years more events have evolved, including the funds’ signature fundraiser, Stefanie’s Champions. It was Stefanie’s hope that every cancer survivor can name someone who stood by them, gave them courage and helped them through their diagnosis. Each year, the event honors the Champions in the lives of cancer survivors who exemplify the qualities and values the Spielman family holds to be important. Stefanie gave Chris the first award for his unwavering support.

Knowing treatment can create more than physical demands, Stefanie and Chris also started the Stefanie Spielman Patient Assistance Fund. This fund provides assistance to breast cancer patients and their families who may be experiencing financial challenges associated with treatment. The fund has helped many patients with a wide range of needs, like groceries, wigs and lymphedema sleeves.

Over the years, Stefanie and Chris received numerous awards for their dedication and commitment to raising funds and awareness for cancer research. At Ohio State, she received the highest philanthropic honor given, the John B. Gerlach, Sr. Development Volunteer Award, as well as the William Oxley Thompson Award. Stefanie was inducted into the Ohio Women’s Hall of Fame in 2002 and was named a YWCA Woman of Achievement in 2003. Together, Stefanie and Chris received an Ohio Governor’s Award in 1999 and were inducted into The James Leadership Society in 2007.

In November 2009, after a decade-long battle, Stefanie left us with some final thoughts: continue to fight.Through it all, Stefanie kept a positive attitude and was always grateful for the blessings she felt life had given her. Knowing that there is still more work to be done, she has encouraged us all to keep fighting and she has left us with a legacy of hope.

I am doing this because we all know of someone who has been effected by some sort of cancer, and no matter what the cancer is, any kind of research that goes to cure one form can be used to cure others. BCM has come to the aid for other charity events, and this is another one that we can help support.

For donation information, please contact me via pm. There are many ways to donate.
For more information about the foundation or the rally its self go to:
www.spielmanfund.com
www.route662010.com

Thanks for your help you guys!

Nix
05-08-2010, 09:45 PM
I'd like to donate to this. My mother is a breast cancer survivor and I know plenty who have been a victum of it. Do you have a paypal account or ?

Waver
05-09-2010, 03:15 PM
Thanks man. Pm sent