PDA

View Full Version : Any aftermarket shifter GTO owners here?

GTSLOW
05-07-2010, 09:05 AM
Any tips for the install? I've looked thru the how-to on ls1gto. Looks like its going to be a PITA however I do have a nice set of ratcheting wrenches. I've also read to use lots of loctite.

brotherbenn83
05-07-2010, 11:27 AM
Get drunk first....
I drove an 04 with an aftermarket shifter at work yesterday, not sure the brand but it sat WAY higher than stock, and the gates seemed too close for me. For all the hate that people give the stocker, I don't seem to mind it.

GTO RLY?
05-07-2010, 02:13 PM
Any tips for the install? I've looked thru the how-to on ls1gto. Looks like its going to be a PITA however I do have a nice set of ratcheting wrenches. I've also read to use lots of loctite.

Yah, the consensus is that the easiest time to do it is when your transmission is dropped for a clutch. :goof I wonder if it wouldn't help to pull out the console so you have easy access from the top and bottom?

I like the stock one just fine. Granted, it's not the Hurst that I had in my '64 Grand Prix, but it doesn't feel any better or worse than the one in my Grand Am. If I'd get one, I'd go with the Billet Pro, since it sits way lower... but everyone says their customer service sucks, so...

SLOWC5
05-07-2010, 03:03 PM
Just did a clutch install on a 06 GTO, we didn't have any issues with the shifter coming out and reinstalling. Got some of the bolts from under the car

JEFF

GTSLOW
05-07-2010, 03:16 PM
I guess my biggest concern is those bloody nuts that are under neath that hold the dust cover on. Probably the ones Jeff is talking about. We'll see after saturday night :D

jayd41
05-08-2010, 08:55 PM
I absolutely hated the stocker when I first got the car.
After spending a couple weeks making a constant mental effort to learn how to shift it, learning the gear ratios to match revs, and finding the right gate evertime, I don't mind it at all anymore.
Would a Billet or GMM be much better? I'm sure, but I'll get more power and gears before I do the shifter.

PureSound15
05-08-2010, 10:05 PM
I absolutely hated the stocker when I first got the car.
After spending a couple weeks making a constant mental effort to learn how to shift it, learning the gear ratios to match revs, and finding the right gate evertime, I don't mind it at all anymore.
Would a Billet or GMM be much better? I'm sure, but I'll get more power and gears before I do the shifter.

Where are you at in the fox valley? I'm near 441/kk.

/Threadjack.

Thread content - .....:confused

jayd41
05-09-2010, 12:14 AM
Little Chute... so damn close...

send me a PM, i would love to meet cool people in the area :)

GTSLOW
05-09-2010, 10:30 AM
Half way thru the install. Note to all GTO owners. Mine has 40k miles, the trans fluid was fucking HORRIBLE, change that shit!!! Hell I bet if I threw the stock shifter in this thing would shift better with just fresh fluid. Anywho this install is one of the biggest pains in the asses I have ever did. I'd rather do a header install on an fbody. :stare

Oh and after taking the stock shifter apart, that thing is the biggest piece of shit I have ever seen. I don't care how much you like it. I'll have to get pics.

srt4eh
05-09-2010, 08:24 PM
my buddy Chuck makes custom short throws for the neon and if given a stock assembly can make a better one for the gto. (Assuming that you don't like the ones available...) Just saying.

SpdRcrZ
05-12-2010, 06:26 PM
I have the GMM on mine now.... had the Hurst on it before that, and of course the stocker...... I LOVE the GMM! The Hurst was an improvement over stock.

GTO RLY?
05-17-2010, 01:10 PM
Note to all GTO owners. Mine has 40k miles, the trans fluid was fucking HORRIBLE, change that shit!!

I'm about to roll 40K, and I've been procrastinating the diff fluid change. I should just nut up and do them both soon.

jon_we4
05-17-2010, 01:25 PM
I guess my biggest concern is those bloody nuts that are under neath that hold the dust cover on. Probably the ones Jeff is talking about. We'll see after saturday night :D

Those are the easy ones. Just a long extension with a few knuckles work. It was much harder to get the actual shifter bolts tight.

Brings back memories. It's been 5-6 years since I did mine. I did the first USA GMM install on a buddies car before I did mine. It was best doing it on the drive-on dyno rack because I could climb up into the car if I needed to. Other than that ... short stubby wrenches and a ton of patience. With the exhaust and tailshaft housing loose and hanging, it was fairly accessible underneath and bear-hugging the trans. But all in all - its not THAT hard.

The GMM makes the best shifter available for the 04-06 GTO .... and I've driven every other brand on multiple occasions.