PDA

View Full Version : question about my furnace

chargedformula
05-05-2010, 07:17 PM
it is an older gas furnace. i am going to sound really dumb here, but there is a thing that ignites it, kind of like a gas grill but does it automatically. well the problem is that it clicks constantly and seems to be clicking faster and faster. there are some wires that go to a little box on the side of the furnace. is something messed up with the box or is there some kind of sensor that tells it that it is ignited? either that or i will never have to worry about my pilot light going out.

Yooformula
05-05-2010, 09:01 PM
I think thats a thermocouple or igniter and sometimes if you look at the tip of it, there might be some carbon build up on it that just needs to be scraped off.

Lash
05-06-2010, 10:15 AM
My first question is,

why do you have an electric ignition with a pilot light????
What model furnace is this?

If the furnace is lit and it's still sparking, your flames sensor may need to be cleaned or replaced (sometimes the igniter/sensor is one assembly). You can clean the flames sensor probe by removing the build up by rubbing it lightly with Scotch Brite.

It's weird that it keeps clicking. Typically they will stop clicking (with the inducer motor still on) for a little bit and then re-try if the flame sensor doesn't see a flame. It shouldn't sit there and constanly try to ignite after a failed attempt.

chargedformula
05-06-2010, 10:48 AM
yeah there is a pilot light with an igniter that seems to spark automatically. the furnace is still lit but if i turn off the gas it seems to spark faster. i take it the flame sensor is that little rod with the copper tube that goes to the valve that supplies the gas? i would assume that is it because it is the only thing that sits in the pilot light. i just ran to home depot and picked up one of those. it looks just like this.
https://www.centraltrailer.com/cart/images/2631-3481.jpg

Turbo-Triumph
05-06-2010, 05:10 PM
i take it the flame sensor is that little rod with the copper tube that goes to the valve that supplies the gas? i

yes. but i doubt thats the problem, if the furnas actually lights up past pilot. if the furnas never passes pilot, but has a pilot, and keeps clicking, than thats (possibly) the problem.

what you have pictured, senses to pilot light, and gives the ok to give more gas.

either way (lit/unlit) the clicking should stop within a reasonable time, and if it doesnt, than theres a diff issue. (if indeed its the ignitor)