PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a small LCD tv

VroomPshhTsi
05-02-2010, 02:31 PM
Budget is around $200.

Looking for a 19"-24" LCD TV for a bedroom.
I know some LCDs really suck with blacks when it's hooked up to basic cable (which this will be).

Anyone know of any good quality small LCD TVs within my budget?

ND4SPD
05-02-2010, 04:39 PM
It's not so much the input, it's the lighting conditions of the room you're in. In a dark room, most LCDs have terrible black representation because the flourescent backlight makes the blacks look grey. Anyway, what you're looking for is a TV with a really good contrast ratio. That will actually be hard to find in that size for the price range you're looking in unless you go used/refurbished. However, I'm checking with my suppliers to see what is out there. I doubt I'll be able to find you anything decent that's new for <$200 though. You're going to want something with a contrast ratio (not a dynamic contrast ratio) of at least 700:1. So far I can get a Phillips/Magnavox 19" with a native contrast ratio of 1000:1 (about the highest you're going to find) for around $230+shipping and sales tax. I'm also looking into the Toshibas. They will be probably slightly more expensive, but better quality. I'd stay away from Coby, Haier, Apex, etc... the price might be attractive, but the native contrast ratios I've seen on most of them are below 500:1... and that will look like garbage in a dark bedroom. Whenever you compare specs, make sure you're comparing native contrast ratio to native contrast ratio... don't compare native contrast ratio to dynamic contrast ratio. Anyway, if you have any other specifics or questions PM me or follow the information in the link in my signature for my other contact info.

VroomPshhTsi
05-02-2010, 10:07 PM
Thanks for the info. Yeah I remember studying contrast ratios when I bought my TV a few years ago. It's all coming back to me now.

hrsp
05-03-2010, 12:59 AM
i thought different manufactures use different specs to get there "contrast" ratio??

like a 1million to 1 for a sony is different than a 1 to 1million for samsung...

jbiscuit
05-03-2010, 07:52 AM
I have a 19" Samsung in my basement wall mounted and its a kickass small LCD. Really nice picture. +1 for Samsung!

Exitspeed
05-03-2010, 09:06 AM
We have the 19" Vizio from Target and we are happy with it. It was less then $200 IIRC.

Karps TA
05-04-2010, 11:01 AM
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001QTW2A0/?tag=sdfp-20

Here you go. 19" for $132

Expired

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001QXDLNS/ref=pd_luc_mri?tag=sdfp-20&ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

For $139