PDA

View Full Version : HP+ Vs Yellow stuff

team beater
04-30-2010, 08:07 PM
I know that many people on BCM run HP+ pads, I was wondering if anyone has any experience with Yellow stuff pads? From what I have read they seem to be very comparable in performance, but wanted to hear some insight from anyone who have used them. The cost for yellow stuff is about $40 less than HP+ for my corvette, and if their are no significant difference in performance I am leaning towards yellow stuff for my next track event.

Any help is appreciated.

GTSLOW
04-30-2010, 08:51 PM
I ran Road America 5 times this year with my HP+. That's 135-140 in the main straight in a 3800lb car. Love these pads, however I'm going to run HT 10s next year. Going from HP+ to Napa Performance pads = probably 80%+ less braking. It was insane I almost thought something was wrong.

Get the HP+ you will not regret it.

DRK
04-30-2010, 08:58 PM
+1 for Hawk

Yooformula
04-30-2010, 09:37 PM
I run the yellow stuff on our yukon and they bite HARD! On the bird I run the hawk pads but I plan on trying out the yellow stuff pads. I was always pleased with the hawk pads but from what I have seen on our truck I just want to give em a shot to see plus they are cheaper although brake dust is a bitch with the yellow stuff. the other biggest improvement I saw was in using the stainless lines and ATE super blue fluid.

team beater
04-30-2010, 09:46 PM
yoo are you running hp+ on the bird? also do you track the bird?

Yooformula
04-30-2010, 10:04 PM
yes hawk pads now and I havent tracked the formula since my one and only RA event about 5-6 years ago. That was my quick naive lesson at poorly setup the car was from the factory. I do plan on getting back there this year hopefully for the GT Track days.

GTSLOW
05-01-2010, 12:18 AM
Ah shit I just noticed I read that backwards. One main thing to look at is the temp range on the yellow stuff.

HP+ (100*-800*) + occasional 900*

Yellow stuff 800*

I'd go with the yellow stuff and get those stainless lines or good fluid. :thumbsup

Yooformula
05-01-2010, 12:21 AM
http://www.ebcbrakes.com/automotive/yellowstuff_brake_pads/yellowstuff_brake_pads_4000.shtml

team beater
05-01-2010, 11:00 AM
Bump, anyone else have input? yoo if you get up to track days, you will definitely have to let me know how they perform and wear.

Yooformula
05-01-2010, 12:34 PM
I look forward to it. from a hard street driven pov, I dont notice too much of a difference between the two other than perhaps a slightly harder initial bite with the yellow stuff but overall almost the same imo.

michelle
05-01-2010, 12:37 PM
I've run them both. HP+ are very nice (good grip), but really dusty so they are my track-only pads for my black track wheels. I run my old Yellow Stuffs on the street now, as I used to run them on the track (they did well too).

Definitely recommend both. If you rather not switch pads all the time, stick with Yellow Stuff.

GTSLOW
05-01-2010, 12:51 PM
HP + can squeek a little if you drive it on a really cold day.

FoxStang
05-01-2010, 06:52 PM
I don't know if Vette's have this problem, but bracing the MC made a world of a difference in terms of braking feel on my Supra. Combine that with some hard lines, new fluids and pads and you should be good.

deuceWI
05-03-2010, 06:02 PM
You already know I run HP+ on the Speed3 and love them.

Last fall I thought they were noisy after bedding them in on used rotors. This spring after bedding them in again on fresh rotors, they are much better, and I might just leave them on. Occasionally noisy but not bad at all for a race / street pad.

team beater
05-03-2010, 11:04 PM
I've run them both. HP+ are very nice (good grip), but really dusty so they are my track-only pads for my black track wheels. I run my old Yellow Stuffs on the street now, as I used to run them on the track (they did well too).

Definitely recommend both. If you rather not switch pads all the time, stick with Yellow Stuff.

Which do you prefer on the track, did the yellows fade at all if so any better or worse then hawk, how did they wear in comparison to the hawk????

TURTLE
05-04-2010, 06:45 AM
i'll weigh in here...

i've used both on the stock neon setups, so light car with about properly sized brakes...

hp+ = great initial bite when warm, you're able to modulate pedal very well...
yellow stuff = soft inital bite, but very progressive in the feel...

that being said, my yellow stuffs actually separated from the backing plates and almost came apart after 1 track weekend... some people have had the same experience with hawks from what i'm reading....

cliffs notes: hp+ ftw on the track, yellow stuff if you're concerned about street manners...

deuceWI
05-04-2010, 10:18 AM
Quick update on the HP+ pads on my 3200 lb Speed3 with 320mm front rotors, took a peak at them this morning to inspect.

Pads have 2 tracks days worth of beating at RA and some normal daily driving on them. They are maybe worn about 1/3 of the way down or have about 2/3 of material left however you want to look at it.

Like GTSLOW said, about 5 track days worth of material on these suckers.

GTSLOW
05-04-2010, 02:49 PM
Did the OP mention what track he was going to be running the car at?

michelle
05-04-2010, 03:57 PM
Which do you prefer on the track, did the yellows fade at all if so any better or worse then hawk, how did they wear in comparison to the hawk????

The Yellows have about 4 hard track days on them before they were given "street" status. I'd say they still had a track day or two on them (and I am talking a Blackhawk or Autobahn day).

And I got my Hawk's mixed up. Running Hawk Blues for the track, but still the same issue with the dust. It's ridiculously hard to get off of wheels, especially when the dust gets wet. Had the Cobras on for a wet session and it took a lot of work to get them clean again. I'll run the rest of the pads away and probably stick with Yellows for the track only because I hate taking hours cleaning a set of wheels.

And IIRC, the Hawk +'s came with the Corvette brakes we picked up. They didn't last more than one lap at the north course of Autobahn. Came in right away to switch to the Cobra brakes. I have a feeling they were dirty/greasy at some point as they had plenty to them yet. Previous owner of the 'vette brakes loved them, but they would have only seen street abuse with him. I'll confirm with my crew chief if the +'s were in the 'vette brakes as they are on the '93 SHO now.

GTSLOW
05-04-2010, 06:59 PM
The Yellows have about 4 hard track days on them before they were given "street" status. I'd say they still had a track day or two on them (and I am talking a Blackhawk or Autobahn day).

And I got my Hawk's mixed up. Running Hawk Blues for the track, but still the same issue with the dust. It's ridiculously hard to get off of wheels, especially when the dust gets wet. Had the Cobras on for a wet session and it took a lot of work to get them clean again. I'll run the rest of the pads away and probably stick with Yellows for the track only because I hate taking hours cleaning a set of wheels.

And IIRC, the Hawk +'s came with the Corvette brakes we picked up. They didn't last more than one lap at the north course of Autobahn. Came in right away to switch to the Cobra brakes. I have a feeling they were dirty/greasy at some point as they had plenty to them yet. Previous owner of the 'vette brakes loved them, but they would have only seen street abuse with him. I'll confirm with my crew chief if the +'s were in the 'vette brakes as they are on the '93 SHO now.

You've gotta try the wheel cleaner they have at autozone!!! I had brake dust that I thought would never come off from last years RA event. Man that stuff is amazing. You spray it on and can only leave it on for a certain amount of time.

team beater
05-04-2010, 11:03 PM
ps, when I say track I mean road America.