PDA

View Full Version : Motive Rear End gears

Pepsicola300
04-30-2010, 07:16 PM
I just had a "rebuilt" rear put in my '88 Firebird. I was told it was rebuilt with a new posi unti and 3.73 Motive gears. My question is: Are Motive gears supposed to be noisy? While under acceleration it sounds fine but on decel it gets pretty loud. I have read on www.thirdgen.org that the Motive's are loud. Does anyone have any experience with these gears? thanks!

Bobby "Big Daddy" Flay
04-30-2010, 07:23 PM
I just had a "rebuilt" rear put in my '88 Firebird. I was told it was rebuilt with a new posi unti and 3.73 Motive gears. My question is: Are Motive gears supposed to be noisy? While under acceleration it sounds fine but on decel it gets pretty loud. I have read on www.thirdgen.org that the Motive's are loud. Does anyone have any experience with these gears? thanks!

I have their 4:10's in mine. Do the same thing.

GTSLOW
04-30-2010, 08:52 PM

I know this is OT but wholy smokes where have you been? I remember talking Sdime stuff waaaay back in the day. :D

Pepsicola300
05-01-2010, 10:41 AM
Cool. Good to know they are supposed to be loud. I though something might be all messed up.

GTSLOW: I've busy, bought a house a few years ago and really haven't had time and money for things. I've been watching the boards every now and then though. Your right it has been a LONG time. I'm hoping to get out to some shows this year too.

PB86MCSS
05-03-2010, 06:55 PM
I know this is OT but wholy smokes where have you been? I remember talking Sdime stuff waaaay back in the day. :D

I'll echo that....still have that hood and ever sell the GTA wheels? :D

BAD LS1
05-04-2010, 03:34 PM
No gears are really supposed to be LOUD... some slight noise that can easily be drown by the exhaust or radio would be acceptable but you may not be able to get it 100% polished out due to gear material etc... Motives are actually about the quietest of any aftermarket for a 10-bolt 7.5

Pepsicola300
05-04-2010, 04:06 PM
I'll echo that....still have that hood and ever sell the GTA wheels? :D

hah.. I still have the hood but sold the rims last year to help pay for new windows.

BAD LS1: I can't drown it out with the radio. It does howl pretty good. I'm thinking about having it checked out. It seems to drive good no issues except for the "howl."

Pepsicola300
05-18-2010, 01:27 PM
Anybody know of a good place/person to take a car to check out the gears?

PB86MCSS
05-18-2010, 06:38 PM
There was a place close to the southside I was given a recommendation on when I was considering having some work done, I'd have to find the info.

* Just checked where I thought it might be, don't have the info anymore. Curious myself of where though, I'll ask my "source".