PDA

View Full Version : Another massive oil spill now larger than the Valdez spill!?!

Yooformula
04-30-2010, 09:59 AM
WTF, this is why I hate reading the news! Right in the Gulf coast a BP drilling rig had a leak then a fire and now finally sank leaving behind a HUGE ass spill larger than the exxon valez mess and now right in our backyard. Projections estimate this thing to engulf the lousiana, texas and florida coasts. Wonder how long before the gas prices jump over this one. Better yet, I want to see how the administration defends their lack of action in this matter the first few days of the spill.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/92477099.html

CATNHAT
04-30-2010, 10:22 AM
The present administration is apparently not accountable for anything according to the press. What a joke. An old dilapidated bridge colapses in Minnesota (a tragedy) and the press demanded bush resign in the first few hours.

The double standard the press has is simply appauling to me. :fire

His 32 golf outings, trips, air force one fly over over new york, making fun of special olympics, bowing, on and on and on.........

Car Guy
04-30-2010, 10:23 AM
According to the news oil is still pouring out of the earth at an incredible rate, millions of gallons a day if I heard correctly. The 'leak' could take weeks possibly months to fix which is why this will be the largest ‘spill’ in history.....

Karps TA
04-30-2010, 10:34 AM
Funny how this well wasn't even pumping that much oil when it was active.

I find this whole "disaster" more then a little fishy. It comes shortly after we relax rules to allow more offshore drilling. Which in turn should lower the price of oil in time due to increased supply. Now that will likely be at risk.

Not sure how this has anything to do with Obama though. The govt said they are billing BP for all of this. This is entirely BP's problem. And they'll be happy to pay it, cause all of this will drive up the price of oil, and they'll be able to pay this off without even denting a quarter of profit.

I don't trust the govt, but I trust big oil even less. Matter of fact I'd trust Al Qeida more then I'd trust big oil.

Yooformula
04-30-2010, 10:48 AM
This should bite Obama in the ass because we did NOTHING when it was first reported to us. Initially it was a leak, then a fire and we did nothing because it appeared the fire would have burned up the spill then the rig collapsed and 11 men went missing and yet no sense of urgency yet and nothing escalated in terms of clean up then it was reported how big the spill really was and THEN and only THEN did the gov't respond. The part about letting another country handle their spill in our water is the part that should be biting him in the ass and hard!

Karps TA
04-30-2010, 11:01 AM
I'm pretty sure they were keeping an eye on it. But I'll say this, it's one of the few actual non hypothetical things that I've seen people get mad at him for. So go nuts. lol

jbiscuit
04-30-2010, 11:06 AM
$4/GALLON gas here we come! :rolf

British_Ben
04-30-2010, 11:14 AM
FISHY indeed.

We all know that big oil and government are in bed together.

Dr.Buick
04-30-2010, 11:23 AM
$4/GALLON gas here we come! :rolf
I don't think the USA can afford 4 dollar a gallon for fuel right.

Yooformula
04-30-2010, 11:47 AM
I don't think the USA can afford 4 dollar a gallon for fuel right.

nah, we'll stop buying the gas because we cant afford it, but then the govt will give the oil companies a bail out.:rolf

Al
04-30-2010, 02:06 PM
But not even the Exxon Valdez is top-10 list of oil spills.

List of spills:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oil_spill

Yooformula
04-30-2010, 03:38 PM
But not even the Exxon Valdez is top-10 list of oil spills.

List of spills:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oil_spill

:rolleyes: really Al? who cares what is on the top 10?! this one happens to be in our backyard and its huge. we shouldnt be tolerating ANY spills. you almost make it sound like we shouldnt be too pissed because its not in the top 10 spills. I would hope we never have a spill in the top 10, that would be catastrophic for our local environments and ecological systems.

CATNHAT
04-30-2010, 04:37 PM
I have a pretty good powerpoint show on this--dont now how to upload it though? Any ideas?

domokun
04-30-2010, 05:38 PM
I wouldn't say its that close to exxon valdez......yet

exxon dumped 10.8 million gallons.
Rig is dumping 40,000 to 200,000 gallons per day.

this whole thing went down on april 20th. here we are 10 days later. lets say everyday 200,000 gallons was flowing. that puts us at 2 million gallons.

Their have been reports that 2 new valves are on there way to the site. should be there and installed sunday.

VroomPshhTsi
04-30-2010, 05:38 PM
According to the news oil is still pouring out of the earth at an incredible rate, millions of gallons a day if I heard correctly. The 'leak' could take weeks possibly months to fix which is why this will be the largest ‘spill’ in history.....

MJS today stated 200,000 gallons/day (5,000 barrels). The first few days of the spill it was reported as only 1,000 barrels/day.

HITMAN
04-30-2010, 05:55 PM
:rolleyes: really Al? who cares what is on the top 10?! this one happens to be in our backyard and its huge. we shouldnt be tolerating ANY spills. you almost make it sound like we shouldnt be too pissed because its not in the top 10 spills. I would hope we never have a spill in the top 10, that would be catastrophic for our local environments and ecological systems.

Wow Yoo. First it was organic food. Now it's ecological misery due to big oil's negligence... What's next? A thread about Birkenstocks and composting? :rolf

Holeshot
04-30-2010, 09:44 PM
The whole problem is that with Valdez we knew how much oil we had to deal with. This spill / leak is coming from several points of the same well and how much will flow is the question. Look at it like an artesian well flowing naturally under pressure. Why the Blow valve did not operate is the question. In 2009 BP was fined 87 million dollars for various infractions but it did nothing to improve their safety standards . Big oil big money and no one gives a fuck until its to late. Mark my words the economy is going to sink worse the ever imagined now.

brotherbenn83
04-30-2010, 10:24 PM
Time to put Mike Myers on a tell-a-thon saying "Barack Obama doesn't care about WHITE people!"

GTSLOW
05-01-2010, 12:23 AM
Matter of fact I'd trust Al Qeida more then I'd trust big oil.

Had to chuckle at that.

Al
05-01-2010, 01:02 AM
:rolleyes: really Al?

Yes, really!

Wow Yoo. First it was organic food. Now it's ecological misery due to big oil's negligence... What's next? A thread about Birkenstocks and composting? :rolf

I won't be surprised if we will soon find him protesting Harley Davidson because of the oil spills their bikes make every day!

BTW- by now, he probably wears Crocs too!

Al
05-01-2010, 01:04 AM
The whole problem is that with Valdez we knew how much oil we had to deal with.

The other component of Valdez is that it occured so close to the shore.

Imagine if this spill occured during a hurricane!

Yooformula
05-17-2010, 11:38 PM
so 200,000 gallons a day and its still NOT capped off! wtf!?! how much oil needs to spill out before they finally decide what course of action they are going to take.. pretty pathetic to read that the rig owners are asking for their liability in the spill to be limited to only $27 million instead of what it would probably really total out to for both parties.

Cryptic
05-17-2010, 11:46 PM
Funny how this well wasn't even pumping that much oil when it was active.

Well if that dont piss ya off, I dont know what does. :mad:

Al
05-18-2010, 12:14 AM
My solution:

I big, tapered metal rod with a big weight on top of it!

They say the hole is 21 inches wide. Make a rod, about 20 feet long, that tapers from 24 inches at one end to 19 at the other. Above the fat end, place a 100 ton weight. Use the device as if it were a bottle stopper on an open wine bottle.

TransAm12sec
05-18-2010, 02:18 AM
More links:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/05/17/gulf.oil.spill/index.html?hpt=T2

http://www.bp.com/bodycopyarticle.do?categoryId=1&contentId=7052055

http://www.bp.com/liveassets/bp_internet/globalbp/globalbp_uk_english/incident_response/STAGING/local_assets/images/RITT_1024xvar.jpg

http://www.bp.com/liveassets/bp_internet/globalbp/globalbp_uk_english/incident_response/STAGING/local_assets/other_graphics/cofferdam_q4000_deploys.jpg

MurphysLaw88GT
05-18-2010, 10:12 AM
I like their illustration. Notice the "oil leak"... I think I can make it out.

Yooformula
05-18-2010, 06:26 PM
anyone see the spill getting closer to the currents that go around the tip of Florida? Once that happens it would end up in the Florida Keys, and up the coast!

TransAm12sec
05-24-2010, 01:17 AM
I like how he sums it up at 4:32.

jWYVKMcBqNU&

www.deepwaterhorizonresponse.com

CATNHAT
05-24-2010, 08:04 AM
I heard a scientist on the radio the other day describing the consitency of the crude. he said the lighter crude in onthe surface, but the really bad stuff was below the surface and had the consitency of "peanut butter" and it is extremely difficult to clean.

I can not imagine the damage and long term effects this will have on the gulf. What a fuckstory!

Cryptic
05-24-2010, 10:47 AM
BP: Oil Collected From Spill Down To 1,120 Barrels A Day (http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20100524-707960.html?mod=WSJ_latestheadlines)

Had anyone considered this accident could have been sabotage?

Yooformula
05-24-2010, 10:53 AM
I heard a scientist on the radio the other day describing the consitency of the crude. he said the lighter crude in onthe surface, but the really bad stuff was below the surface and had the consitency of "peanut butter" and it is extremely difficult to clean.

I can not imagine the damage and long term effects this will have on the gulf. What a fuckstory!

yeah and that thick shit that settled down is what is being picked up in the gulf's current.

Al
05-24-2010, 01:48 PM

ELF did it. Remember when they were lighting Hummers on fire?

CATNHAT
05-28-2010, 07:25 AM
M6i1eKW8M6Q

Karps TA
05-28-2010, 01:14 PM
BP: Oil Collected From Spill Down To 1,120 Barrels A Day (http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20100524-707960.html?mod=WSJ_latestheadlines)

From the very start. I find this hard to believe it's just a coincidence that off shore drilling just happens to be gaining momentum and being opened up after years of it not being allowed. More supply, means lower price, meaning less record profits by big oil.

The fact that Halliburton was involved with this even makes me believe more so.

I've never been a "lets get off oil as quick as possible" guy because of my love for cars. But the disgust I have for Big Oil is making me change my mind pretty quickly. Their greed is just beyond comprehension, as is their carelessness for this planet and everything that lives on it. It still baffles me that they have no disaster plans in place for anything.

Lash
05-30-2010, 10:42 PM
Annnnnnnnnnnnnnd...

the fix failed.
http://www.rr.com/news/topic/article/rr/9000/11129854/After_another_failure_BP_scrambles_to_stem_leak

Now what?

GTSLOW
05-30-2010, 10:57 PM
OMFG that article says AUGUST they may have another fix!!

Yooformula
05-31-2010, 12:34 AM
I've never been a "lets get off oil as quick as possible" guy because of my love for cars. But the disgust I have for Big Oil is making me change my mind pretty quickly. Their greed is just beyond comprehension, as is their carelessness for this planet and everything that lives on it. It still baffles me that they have no disaster plans in place for anything.

so fucking true!!

LIL EVO
05-31-2010, 10:12 AM
Watch this:

http://www.wimp.com/oilspills/

Yooformula
05-31-2010, 10:28 AM
what a fucking joke...wonder if it wasnt sabotage all along. wouldnt too much of an oil supply be a bad thing for the greedy?!

Prince Valiant
05-31-2010, 12:04 PM
Anyone ever ask why we're digging in such deep water that is far more challenging than many of the shallow water wells?

Or, why we're even offshore drilling at all?

I mean, we have plenty of oil is far more accessible and safer locations...that even if worse came to worse and we had an uncontrolled leak like this, damage would be rather containable and local (heck, if this occurred on land, damage would be nill).

The gulf is still the relative motherload of oil...no doubt. It's known reserves make pale the known reserves of other potential drilling sites...although, this is in part because very little exploration actually occurs elsewhere since why explore when you know one won't be permitted to drill any oil that's found? Open up more of the atlantic and pacific, and we wouldn't have to subject our own coast to the more technologically complex deep drilling that we're doing in the gulf.

As far as sabotage, the only potential culprit in a sabotage would be environmentalist. How would BP profit from this? The billions, if not 100's of billions this could end up costing them could not offset any small increase that crude prices might see...another oil company perhaps? What do they gain? Increased regulation? Even greater public animosity? More costly production? For what kind of price increase too?

And let's look at that. What, we're estimating that this is leaking 5,000 barrels a day? A modestly large oil field typically produces 1-2 million barrels a day. Globally, Oil is produced at almost 100 million barrels/day. 5,000 barrels represents 5 thousandths of a percent of global oil production. This isn't even a drop in the proverbial bucket...

So I have a hard time accepting that this is a consipiracy to keep oil prices higher, or even an unjust competitor.

Now, environmentalist, certain groups HAVE been willing to kill and destroy to get their point across. This HAS been a PR disaster for off-shore drilling which gets them what they want...which will most certainly be greater public resistance to future drilling and thus less access. They certainly benefit.

However, I'd have a tough time believing they could pull this off...and it not be a well known and established fact with plenty of eyewitnesses to verify this occurred.

To me, this is simply human error to a tragic end...not only is untold ecological damage occurring, economic damage to fisheries and tourism, but direct human lives were also lost in the accident. The fail safe systems that were engineered for these occurrences failed, though I don't know that they were engineered for this specific occurrence...

And though it may seem predictable coming from me, this is a HUGE failure on Obama's part. Obama sold himself on part as being able to restore our faith in gov't ability to deal with crisis. HE claimed it's past failures were due to incompetence and/or as a fundamental result in a difference of vision in gov't roles and duties. He claimed gov't would now be more responsive...this wasn't simply our own expectations, but his words that gave us this impression.

And they've so far failed...

To me, I can understand the gov't failure in this...but one hopes that those who actually believed in gov't omnipotence can see that their god bleeds; and a god that bleeds is no god. Of course, though that's what they should see, I can see that it's not. It's all about protecting ones own world view, so many are left blaming "big oil," "Bush," "Haliburton," etc, etc, etc.

As far as BP, I can see this very much bankrupting them...and rightfully so. If they can clean up the mess, pay those who their actions harmed, weather the PR storm and still remain solvent, then more power to them. But I have a hard time picturing this will be the case.

And oh yeah, all the "boycott BP" stuff that's out there does them no harm. Gas is fungible meaning BP will just sell to other vendors stuff they cannot sell. Mostly you just harm the poor mom and pops that own the local BP stations, not "Big oil."