PDA

View Full Version : Sobelmans VS AJ Bombers on Food Wars

Exitspeed
04-29-2010, 10:32 AM
http://www.fox6now.com/news/witi-100429-sobelmans-ajbombers-food-wars,0,2250466.story

WITI-TV, MILWAUKEE - It's a battle for the best Brew City burger. Travel Channel's hit show "Food Wars" heads to Milwaukee next week to pit a Milwaukee favorite against the new kid in town. Sobelman's and AJ Bombers will face-off to determine which restaurant's burger is "The Milwaukee Burger."

Both restaurants have fiercely loyal fans. AJ Bombers regulars are a social media-savvy group, while Sobelman's fans are a grass roots angry mob, upset that someone would threaten the title of their precious hangout.

Fans of Food Wars, Sobelman's and AJ Bombers can submit what toppings they think make a burger a "Milwaukee Burger." Owners Dave Sobelman and Joe Sorge will pick the best submission and agree to build their own version of that burger for the battle.

Both restaurants will be using their single burger straight from the menu, the same, beef, same bun, same sandwich that they serve every day.

The restaurant that wins Food Wars gets the honor of listing Milwaukee's best burger on their menu.

Food Wars is schedule to film at AJ Bombers on May 6, Sobelman's on May 7 and at a neutral location on May 8 for the final burger face off.

I just went to AJ Bombers for the first time a couple weeks ago and thought it was damn good. The wings were just OK, but it's not a wing place. But I had to try'em obviously.

I'll have to try out Sobelmans now.

I wish they could add Solly's in there too.

nismodave
04-29-2010, 10:39 AM
Media BS.

What about Kopps? Jimmy Bs?

British_Ben
04-29-2010, 10:50 AM
Media BS.

What about Kopps? Jimmy Bs?

Kopps.... really? You like a little beef with your vegetables, bread and butter?

Exitspeed
04-29-2010, 10:55 AM
I know that AJ Bombers was pursuing this so it's not so much the show as it was the places going out and getting the coverage.

Flicktitty
04-29-2010, 11:02 AM
I went to Sobelman's in December or January? it was VERY good, i actually just went to A.J. Bombers within the last month and i had there "Berry Burger" the bacon cheese burger with peanut butter and that thing was amazing. one of the best thing's i've ever eaten. i would like to go back and try there bacon egg cheeseburger cause that's usually a hit where ever you go.

but i think AJ Bomber's has it in the bag.

jbiscuit
04-29-2010, 11:34 AM
Kopps has one of the worst burgers in the Milwaukee area, sorry Dave. I just don't see it. Its not only you either so I don't mean to give you shit. I have heard others dig the Kopps burger.

Flicktitty
04-29-2010, 11:38 AM
Kopps has one of the worst burgers in the Milwaukee area, sorry Dave. I just don't see it. Its not only you either so I don't mean to give you shit. I have heard others dig the Kopps burger.

I've heard this as well, It is a pretty good fast food style burger. but not the best in Milwaukee.

Got Boost
04-29-2010, 12:46 PM
Kopps ... Your Kidding :rolf

Neal Steffek
04-29-2010, 12:48 PM
AJ Bombers will win this easy.

JC70SS
04-29-2010, 12:56 PM

X2 Kopps sucks period!

nismodave
04-29-2010, 01:10 PM
Its all in ones opinion.

Growing up we used to go to Kopps for burgers all the time, and they were damn good.

And every time I go by one, they seem to be have alot of people there. So I guess Im not the only one who thinks they are good.

Exitspeed
04-29-2010, 01:12 PM
Its all in ones opinion.

Growing up we used to go to Kopps for burgers all the time, and they were damn good.

And every time I go by one, they seem to be have alot of people there. So I guess Im not the only one who thinks they are good.

I'm with Dave. I love Kopp's. Not sure I'd say it is the best burger but it has a unique taste that I've grown up with and still love.

-stew-
04-29-2010, 01:24 PM
Dave:

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k293/Hans-Von/BroFist.jpg

Kopp's burgers scream Milwaukee. A jumbo burger with ketchup, mustard, fried onions, and butter on a toasted bun. And you gotta wait to get it because Kopp's is always busy as shit. Fuck yeah!

I've never been to Sobelmans or AJ's, but if some mother fucker ever asked my if I wanted a burger with peanut butter I'd kick him right in the nuts. I don't want to go to some place that has some faggot putting stupid shit on a burger trying to be "gourmet."

If I want a "gourmet" burger I'll have a Kopp's burger with some fried portabellas on it.

/rant. Kopp's FTW.

British_Ben
04-29-2010, 01:50 PM
Dave:

Kopp's burgers scream Milwaukee. A jumbo burger with ketchup, mustard, fried onions, and butter on a toasted bun. And you gotta wait to get it because Kopp's is always busy as shit. Fuck yeah!

I've never been to Sobelmans or AJ's, but if some mother fucker ever asked my if I wanted a burger with peanut butter I'd kick him right in the nuts. I don't want to go to some place that has some faggot putting stupid shit on a burger trying to be "gourmet."

If I want a "gourmet" burger I'll have a Kopp's burger with some fried portabellas on it.

/rant. Kopp's FTW.

I will eat Kopps, but they are not the best or even close. Sobleman's DESTROYS them hands down. I can't speak for AJ Bombers, I'm going to have to try 'em.

Al
04-29-2010, 02:16 PM
I eat at Kopps and Sobleman's on a regular basis. The burgers are two different animals, but both are kings in their leagues.

If I want a cheeseburger, I either want one or the other, but not both at the same time.

BTW- Kopps is regarded as the 5th best food joint in the greater Milwaukee area. I'll find the link to this once Google works again.

Prince Valiant
04-29-2010, 02:18 PM
Where is AJ bombers?

I've had sobleman's and love it...they are my favorite burger in milwaukee. I wish they wouldn't be so fancy on the bun though, as the seasoned patty is without equal that I've had in the area. The bun teeters dangerously close to taking away from the burger itself.

Oh, and Kopps (and it's high class cousin, elsa's) actually has a good burger for what it is...it's a good sloppy burger. What's wrong with it? Elsa's makes the high class gourmet burger...some work, some not so much.

WickedSix
04-29-2010, 02:47 PM
AJ bombers is downtown milwaukee by MSOE off of water..where the corner bar use to be

where is the other place? AJ's is good

Exitspeed
04-29-2010, 02:57 PM
Where is AJ bombers?

1241 North Water Street
Milwaukee, WI 53202

where is the other place? AJ's is good

1900 West Saint Paul Avenue
Milwaukee, WI 53233

Waver
04-29-2010, 03:52 PM
Well honestly I have had Sobelmans before and I thought it was very good. Funny thing was that the owners were very good customers of mine when I was over at Office Max, and I got to know them well because of it....I didnt know that Sobelmans was their restaurant until I was sent down there to pick up some food shortly after I started at Northpoint. Hell they gave me a nice discount on the food because of it. Really good people. I hope they win it.

Exitspeed
04-29-2010, 04:13 PM
Well honestly I have had Sobelmans before and I thought it was very good. Funny thing was that the owners were very good customers of mine when I was over at Office Max, and I got to know them well because of it....I didnt know that Sobelmans was their restaurant until I was sent down there to pick up some food shortly after I started at Northpoint. Hell they gave me a nice discount on the food because of it. Really good people. I hope they win it.

You should go show your support for them and go tot he shoot. It talks about times in the article.

Feature Pony
04-29-2010, 04:22 PM
Nite Owl FTW!!! They have some great burgers and they have a nice steak sandwhich which is killer with cheese. Lets face it, burgers are good in milwaukee but who has some killer beer brats around here? That is what should be on food wars! Every city has burgers, the cities that stand out are known for BBQ's, Dogs, Subs, chicken, ribs. Milwaukee should be known as Brat central!

Feature Pony
04-29-2010, 04:23 PM
Oh I so want that chick that is the host of food wars, but don't tell her I'm married!

lordairgtar
04-29-2010, 06:18 PM
Oh I so want that chick that is the host of food wars, but don't tell her I'm married!
OK, we won't tell her, but we will tell your wife!:devil Coach's in Burlington (I know, not Milwaukee) is good. Alpine Lanes in Muskego has a good burger.

Waver
04-30-2010, 10:22 AM
You should go show your support for them and go tot he shoot. It talks about times in the article.

I was thinking about it

Flicktitty
05-04-2010, 09:12 PM
does anyone know what times they will be at each place?

i wouldn't mind showing up.

BTW. if you google "aj bombers food wars time" BCM is the 5th link.

Neal Steffek
05-04-2010, 11:43 PM
does anyone know what times they will be at each place?

i wouldn't mind showing up.

BTW. if you google "aj bombers food wars time" BCM is the 5th link.

AJ Bombers is this Thurs.

Al
05-05-2010, 12:30 AM
The owner of Sobelman's told me to be there!

He knows I love a good cheeseburger.

jbiscuit
05-05-2010, 07:38 AM
Hit AJ Bombers this past weekend. Damn good burger. I had the one with peanut butter on it. I thought the addition of the peanut butter was just OK however. Next time, I would rather get a double cheese burger with my own toppings on it. AJ Bombers is in a great location, easy to get to, great atmosphere etc

Ricky Bobby
05-05-2010, 09:21 AM
same here J went on sat. had the double with my own toppings wife had the single damn good burgers and even tried there bloody mary which in my opinion sucked not my cup o tea thats for sure

jbiscuit
05-05-2010, 09:42 AM
yea the bloodys looked like total garbage there but whatever. Beer and a burger is good enough for me! :)

Ricky Bobby
05-05-2010, 09:46 AM
someone on here said they where good but they just werent for me so ya a lite and a burger i was good :thumbsup also they stick like a chunk of burger with bacon and cheese in the bloody mary and by the time it got there it was cold yuck

Al
05-15-2010, 01:03 AM
After hearing that Sobelmans lost, I decided to go and try AJ Bombers.

To be honest, AJ Bombers is nowhere as good as Sobelmans. It's like they are in entirely different leagues. I think the free peanuts won the votes of the locals.

I bet the results would have been different if the final test was held closer to Marquette.

HITMAN
05-15-2010, 01:47 AM
MMMMMMMMMM... Nite Owl bacon cheese burgers.

Kopps is good for what it is, but sometimes you can really tell it's a pre-formed, frozen patty of monkey-meat. Gristle-y and crappy tasting enough that not even all of the condiments they put on can cover the taste of the old-assed chimp they ground up.

If you've ever eaten at Mazo's, then you know who really has the best burgers.

Prince Valiant
05-15-2010, 09:01 AM
If you've ever eaten at Mazo's, then you know who really has the best burgers.I've eaten there...very good. I give a slight edge to sobleman's simply for their variety of burgers, but for a basic burger, Mazo's is pretty tough to beat.

xxtremeteam
05-15-2010, 09:20 AM
nothing to do tomarrow may have to check out aj bombers

HITMAN
05-15-2010, 12:19 PM
I've eaten there...very good. I give a slight edge to sobleman's simply for their variety of burgers, but for a basic burger, Mazo's is pretty tough to beat.

When it comes to burgers, simple is how I like them. Putting all of that crap on a burger takes away from the burger itself, IMO. The most I ever have is a bacon CB with ketchup, pickles and f/o. That's it. No special sauces, no eggs, no pb, no guacamole. I don't even bother with mustard on burgers.
Ergo, Mazo's is perfect for a simpleton like myself...:durr :D

Prince Valiant
05-15-2010, 01:40 PM
When it comes to burgers, simple is how I like them. Putting all of that crap on a burger takes away from the burger itself, IMO. The most I ever have is a bacon CB with ketchup, pickles and f/o. That's it. No special sauces, no eggs, no pb, no guacamole. I don't even bother with mustard on burgers.
Ergo, Mazo's is perfect for a simpleton like myself...:durr :DI like 'em both ways...my favorite burger doesn't even have cheese, but just bbq sauce cooked on.

But, to me one of the best ways to evaluate a burger place is by their "california burger" (which to me is cheese, mayo, lettuce, tomatoe...and in some cases thousand island dressing instead of mayo---I know there are differences abound, so facsimiles can substitute). If it taste great like that, they just make a great burger then.

Well, guess I'll have to swing by mazo's again one of these days...

Neal Steffek
05-15-2010, 01:49 PM
After hearing that Sobelmans lost, I decided to go and try AJ Bombers.

To be honest, AJ Bombers is nowhere as good as Sobelmans. It's like they are in entirely different leagues. I think the free peanuts won the votes of the locals.

I bet the results would have been different if the final test was held closer to Marquette.

You know the testing was done at Bar Luie right? They did it at a neutral sight.

Al
05-15-2010, 02:31 PM
You know the testing was done at Bar Luie right? They did it at a neutral sight.

One block from Bombers, 2 miles from Sobelmans. I am also pointing out that there are local loyalties to different food joints. eg: marquette vs msoe.

If Sobelman's was cooking their burgers at their St. Paul location, the burger would have been sitting for about 10 minutes before anyone got a chance to take a bite out of it.

Shenanigans, I say!

Neal Steffek
05-15-2010, 02:53 PM
One block from Bombers, 2 miles from Sobelmans. I am also pointing out that there are local loyalties to different food joints. eg: marquette vs msoe.

If Sobelman's was cooking their burgers at their St. Paul location, the burger would have been sitting for about 10 minutes before anyone got a chance to take a bite out of it.

Shenanigans, I say!

Or AJ's could just be a better burger...... :durr:rolf

Al
05-15-2010, 04:53 PM
Or AJ's could just be a better burger...... :durr:rolf

I tried both. Bomber's is nowhere as good.
Cafe LuLu is better than Bomber's too.

Neal Steffek
05-15-2010, 05:29 PM
I tried both. Bomber's is nowhere as good.
Cafe LuLu is better than Bomber's too.

Lies

HITMAN
05-16-2010, 05:38 AM
Arguing about who has the best burger,pizza, custard, what-have-you is like arguing about which color looks best. It's all so subjective to an individuals unique tastes. You might as well argue about cloud shapes.

Prince Valiant
05-16-2010, 09:42 AM
You might as well argue about cloud shapes.Cumulus or Stratus?

Neal Steffek
05-16-2010, 01:28 PM
Cumulus or Stratus?

Cumulus by far. Everyone knows that. :D

Al
05-16-2010, 04:02 PM
Cumulus or Stratus?

Stratocumulus lenticularus!

HITMAN
05-16-2010, 06:43 PM
Stratofaggotus buttfuckularus!

:wow

ThatWhiteCivic
05-16-2010, 08:34 PM
Just got home from AJ Bombers. I did not like the burger or the philly cheese steak. :(

Al
05-18-2010, 12:20 AM
:wow

http://www.google.com/images?um=1&hl=en&tbs=isch:1&ei=kSPyS4mQCYG78gbN3NnBDQ&sa=X&oi=spellfullpage&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=2&q=Stratocumulus+lenticularis&spell=1

Neal Steffek
05-18-2010, 02:07 AM
I like boobs.

Got Boost
05-18-2010, 07:50 AM
Went to Soblemans on Sunday had a cheeseburger ....And Motz Stix....Motz stix good ,,, burger was ok ...Sollys and Mazos were IMHO better ...dissapointed in Soblemans

Al
05-19-2010, 09:27 AM
I like boobs.

You remember that clip from Total Recall?

Rocket Power
05-19-2010, 12:23 PM
Stratus Dodgeicus Ricerous
http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/1/1286/2641/3213820003_large.jpg

-stew-
05-19-2010, 12:54 PM
I like boobs.

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll220/thanos48/total_recall_18.jpg

Cryptic
05-20-2010, 09:48 AM
stratus dodgeicus ricerous

lol

Flicktitty
10-13-2010, 09:32 PM
Show was on tonight....

Just what i said ....... AJ BOMBERS WON!