PDA

View Full Version : Feeler - Belgian Malinois Dog Adoption Candidate

DirtyMax
04-28-2010, 06:23 PM
Too many alpha dogs in the house. After 2 years, two of our dogs are still fighting for top-dog status. One of them is this dog and the other is an 8 lb. furball who has Napoleon syndrome. The trouble is that the Malinois doesnt know his own strentgh so when they fight, the little one usually ends up getting the worst of it.

I will stress that Chopper is NOT an aggressive dog. But when provoked, he is defending himself against a much smaller sibling.

These dogs are the breed used exclusively by the Secret Service, and also many police departments now, so it goes without saying that they are extremely intelligent. He is about 60#.

Here are Chopper's needs for an ideal situation:

- Fenced in yard. He isn't good with boundaries and he has a "thing" about peeing on a leash. I'd almost consider this a requirement for adoption or it would be the shortest lived one ever...

- Kennel for when you're gone. Being an intelligent dog, he needs stimulation or to be contained. Translation is, boredom usually leads to curiosity which leads to something getting "explored"'. This would be about your only expense in this adoption.

- I think he would excel being an only dog. I'd say he could cophabitate with other dogs who are submissive and/or dogs his own size. He has never once gotten into it with our female submissive lab of similar size.

- He's always been good with kids but he has never been exposed to babies or toddlers. Our 9/11 y/o niece/nephews know better than to pull on his tail, bite him, etc. We've always made it a habit to try and provoke him, just to keep him nice, and in general, he is not overly aggressive. We've just never had a "little one" do it.

Chopper is an absolutely brilliant dog. They are extremely loyal and he always wants to be by you. He is a shedder though so you need to brush him and you'll have some hair to deal with. He will keep you company in bed if you let him. We do not want to place him in a new home but for the best interests of all of our pets, we feel it is the best thing.

I do not want someone to just take him home for a day and give up. Please read up on these dogs and if you don't feel like you have the energy, patience, etc. for a breed like this, please look elsewhere for a pet. That being said, if a serious party has an issue, we would take him back.

More info and photos available on request. Thanks!

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t227/jdallard/Chopper/IMG_2927.jpg

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t227/jdallard/Chopper/IMG_19623.jpg

Ricky Bobby
04-28-2010, 08:57 PM
awesome looking dog ill pass the word around, if i had a bigger house i would be all over it but had to put the doggy adoption on hold till we get a bigger house and also i have a 10month home here and he pulls on the cats tails so dont want to provoke him if we did adopt him

Daytonapacecar959
04-28-2010, 09:34 PM
Sorry to hear that you may have to get rid of him.I'd take him but already have an alpha male Malinois.

DirtyMax
04-28-2010, 09:56 PM
Thanks for the words and the help. We'd really like to place him with someone who has the time to give him the stimulation these dogs need. As I'm sure you can attest Fred, they are amazing animals but not for the person looking for a lap dog type.

We would prefer to keep him but all of our trainers friends and family members don't seem to know any way to break either of these two dogs of their behaviors. We just don't want anything to happen to the small dog and have to live with that.

It's also worth mentioning that he has had a few levels of both obedience and agility training. Basically to teach him some socialization skills and also to burn some of that puppy energy he had/has.

michelle
04-29-2010, 05:48 AM
Beautiful dog!

DirtyMax
04-29-2010, 06:25 AM
And I should stress that this isn't something that happens every day. It happened once or twice when we forst introduced them, about a month apart. Then nothing for almost 2 years. However, in the past 3 months, it has happened about 3 times. P.S. - He just turned 2 in March.

I want to reiterate that Chopper is not the one who is instigating this but rather is defending himself and he's just so much more powerful that the other dog.

I would rather get rid of the ankle biter but it's my wife's dog and I think they come and go as a team, LOL.

Matchew
04-29-2010, 10:24 AM
Contact Dennis over at eisenfaustkennels.com I'm sure he can give you a hand training or anything you might need

DirtyMax
04-29-2010, 12:22 PM
Thanks for the offer. I come from a whole family of trainers. The issue is with the smaller dog who is too stupid to realize that he is 8# and should realize his place in the heirarchy... A stupidity that's going to get him killed. Unfortunately, there seems to be no training available for "little man syndrome"

RanJer
04-29-2010, 12:27 PM
If I had the room I'd be all over this, but a 1200sq/ft duplex with a very small fenced back yard just doesn't seem adequate for a dog that size or that active.

I'll pass it along though, good looking pup!

EvolvedRegal
04-30-2010, 08:49 AM
WOW!!!! I have always wanted a BM. I wonder how he would get along with my Shepherd who is also 2yo.

I have a huge fenced in backyard. Im assuming here but the size of both dogs are about equal, and from your description it seems like they would be a good match (if his nuts are chopped) I dont need them to hump every 5 seconds.

If your intrested in a meeting I would be more than happy to either host it or meet in a neutral spot.

If its any help to ease you I have trained my dog since 8 weeks old. She came from Munich, Germany. Trained in English, German, and Czech. My current shepherd (Eva) is my 3rd GSD.

DirtyMax
04-30-2010, 10:43 AM
PM Sent.

Thanks! :thumbsup