PDA

View Full Version : 95 Jeep cherokee?

4eyedstang
04-28-2010, 01:58 PM
my check engine light is on.so i did the self diagnostic test on it and I'm stumped.

the light flashes once pauses ,flashes 2 times, pauses then flashes 4 time before it gives the 55 code

so is it showing 12,4 as a the trouble codes or should i disregard the first flash and read it as 24 if this makes any sense

i also cant find out what 12 or a 4 code means

any ideas? the truck seems to run fine for having 200k miles on it

Prince Valiant
04-28-2010, 02:24 PM
Hmm...might try again. There is a pause b/w individual numbers in the code such as a 1 and a 2, and then a longer pause b/w individuals codes such as 12 and 24.

When you do the key trick, it should come on....go off...and then immediately start flashing codes...and if none, 55 should be the first one.

That said, a code 12 would be battery input interupted to PCM in the last 50 cycles, and 24 would likely be the TPS...this is from a truck book i've got, but it's likely much the same (I know code 12 would be).

I don't think code 12 would put up a check engine light, but code 24 may...and oftentimes the TPS can be out of range, but not cause any running problems.

If it's running good, disconnect the battery and leave for 15 minutes to clear the codes...then hook it up and run it...if the check engine light comes back, run self-diagnostics and see what you get then. If it's a TPS, that's an easy fix.

4eyedstang
04-28-2010, 02:35 PM
thanks.will try