PDA

View Full Version : belt tensioner question

xFullThrottlex
04-26-2010, 10:40 PM
Hey guys,

I'm looking at replacing my serpentine belt soon (well probably when the sqeaking really starts to irritate me) and I know it's good practice to replace the belt tensioner with the belt. I have a 99 s10 2.2L w/ ac the belt is $25 and the tensioner is $50... but I can get a tensioner pulley for $20... is the pulley the reason someone replaces the tensioner with the serp belt or am I better off just buying a tensioner? Any/all feedback is welcome. Thanks.

BlackLightning
04-26-2010, 10:47 PM
I've honestly never heard that before. tensioner for a timinig belt yes but not serpentine. I'd just replace the belt unless you have issues with the tensioner keeping tension or if the bearings are shot on the pulley.

lilws6
04-27-2010, 08:12 AM
replace just the belt. if you have problems with the tensioner then replace that. most reasons people replace the tensioner is when the loosen it to take the belt off it sticks there and won't tension the belt any more

brotherbenn83
04-27-2010, 01:19 PM
Or if there is excessive in and out movement in the tensioner. You would need to replace the whole thing, not just the pulley. An idler pulley on the other hand, like those found on a 4.2L trailblazer (which fail often) you can just replace the pulley, not the entire bracket.

xFullThrottlex
04-27-2010, 02:23 PM
Thanks for the advice guys... A few years ago my high school shop teacher told me to replace it all at once (funny what you remember hey?) and truth be told I have only replaced maybe a hand full of belt tensioners. I'll probably just replace the serp belts!

brotherbenn83
04-27-2010, 03:40 PM
He probably was talking about timing belt tensioners, as they are generally much more difficult to get to, and can potentially destroy your engine if they fail....

xFullThrottlex
04-27-2010, 08:17 PM
^that could be, I do remember hearing to always replace your timing belt tensioner with your timing belt