PDA

View Full Version : solid gold?

JC70SS
04-26-2010, 03:28 PM
Is the solid gold mcdonalds shows on wed no more?

jbiscuit
04-26-2010, 03:30 PM
still wed

venm4u97
04-26-2010, 04:30 PM
yeaup still going...but same old 84 and older rule.

animal
04-26-2010, 04:55 PM
Whoa, it's not even the "at least 20 years old" rule anymore? Always thought it was. Maybe that went away in 2005 to leave room so that the yellow we-rock-you hotrod can be there every week in the same spot. :rolleyes:

Good thing that 85 thunderbird has the 1940's front clip on it too, averages the year down to '84. where would that show be without that car? :rolf

Solid gold show is such a joke.

Car Guy
04-26-2010, 05:15 PM
Good thing that 85 thunderbird has the 1940's front clip on it too, averages the year down to '84. where would that show be without that car? :rolf.

:rolf

That T-bird is a `93-`97 assuming the interior is stock.....

Car Guy
04-26-2010, 05:15 PM

TheRX7Project
04-26-2010, 05:52 PM
Solid Gold will never get me there, not even if it's the last show left. They kicked out my Bradley GT kit car because the gel coat was faded and it wasn't "finished" when I was 17. Since then I've never been back (10 years!). Any "cruise" that only wants the best is a joke.

venm4u97
04-26-2010, 06:17 PM
hahaha that T-bird...i see that thing everywhere...gets me sick every time:puke

awsomeears
04-26-2010, 06:31 PM
My dad told me a Mexican Joint on HWY 100 across from Menards will he having a Wednesday car show, bunch of guys were talking about it at the Mcdonalds car show because the 1st one this year was already a joke....

Firefighter Z
04-26-2010, 08:03 PM
Well I know the person that is in charge of the SG carshow, how? Well it's my Cousins GF, so at least I'll no problems getting in. LOL

But yeah she said turn out isnt what it used to be.

There are no certain car nights anymore, just sponsors.

animal
04-27-2010, 06:59 AM

That T-bird is a `93-`97 assuming the interior is stock.....

Aww mah bad, mah bad. :durr

Feature Pony
04-27-2010, 08:51 AM
Yeah I guess a lot of people got pissed off at the owner of solid gold and moved to a mexican restraunt (great food BTW) accross from hiller ford. I heard that even Kasper the DJ pulled out and is at this new show trying to kill the SG show. This is what I heard, but I did eat the food and it was killer!

Got Boost
04-27-2010, 09:54 AM
^^^^ Gus Mexican Cantena ..... Very good food ....

animal
04-27-2010, 10:32 AM

I heard that place is spendy though. Truth?

jbiscuit
04-27-2010, 11:40 AM
I too heard the food was outstanding. Might have to get down there this weekend and fuck up some tacos :rolf

pOrk
04-27-2010, 07:49 PM
Jim Patterson is a cum stain, he sold the McDonalds but still has his hands in the car show.

JC70SS
04-27-2010, 08:19 PM
the reason I asked was if you go to solidgoldmcdonalds.com it goes to the Gus Mexican thing. They used to have the featured car for solid gold, now it isnt even for solid gold.

Matchew
04-28-2010, 06:03 PM
solidgoldmcdonalds.com 84 or older ruler there too at gus mexican cantina .... blah :(

u_say_go
04-28-2010, 06:51 PM
why do so many people get bent out of shape when a cruise-night destination has a rule limiting which cars can park within in the "show"?

animal
04-28-2010, 09:31 PM
why do so many people get bent out of shape when a cruise-night destination has a rule limiting which cars can park within in the "show"?

Because having such a rule is gay? :sgay

Car Guy
04-28-2010, 09:36 PM
:wstupid

michelle
04-28-2010, 09:43 PM

Because it's in our nature to bitch and moan about anything and everything.

(Or maybe it's just in my nature.)

lordairgtar
04-29-2010, 12:17 AM
Let me clear up a few things. First, Jim has no influence whatsoever in what Solid Gold does, second, They have an application for telling why you are lovin' your car (I'm Lovin' It) and they pick the feature car every week. They have different sponsors of course, and the first week sponsor was Hooters...go figure! Their limit on the car year has always been there and why they went to a blanket 1984 rule, I don't know. Does not mean that rule is "gay". It's their playground and they can do what they want with it. BTW, the yellow rod is long gone and was sold to someone else in another state. I assume you are speaking of the Ford Sedan Delivery with Mc D's stuff on it. There have been changes, some dumb ones for sure, but it's a learning experience for all concerned. A lot of people are going to be loyal to Donny and Karl Kasper, and they will follow them to Gus' Cantina. I won't speak for Donny, as I've known him for many years, but I will tell you him and McDs parted ways amicably. I certainly wish them the best. Don Holle, the guy with the 50 Ford/T-Bird has been a long time friend and supporter of my Thursday Cruise Night and others. In addition to that car, he owns a 40 Ford Coupe, a vintage VW, and an AMC Eagle SX/4. He's a real car guy and very knowledgeable about music history. There are cruise nights that let all year cars in (like mine), but don't diss the ones that don't. BTW, the feature car know gets a drawing done of their car instead of a small trophy. Takes a lot of work to start a cruise night and keep it going, I know, I've been doing it myself at Jetz/DQ. You are free to start your own nite with your own rules or lack thereof...but I guess it's easier to whine, piss and moan. BTW again, Gus' will be serving burgers and brats and dogs at reasonable prices during the cruise night over there.

nismodave
04-29-2010, 01:26 AM
84 and older rule is garbage in my book.

But alot of the stuff (NOT ALL) that shows up at Solid Mold is indeed that.

TheRX7Project
04-29-2010, 05:12 AM
They can have their "rules" all they want- they just won't see my business if they choose to have it, as well as many other people I know.

animal
04-29-2010, 07:30 AM
You are free to start your own nite with your own rules or lack thereof...but I guess it's easier to whine, piss and moan.

Yeah, obviously. Is it really any different than a bar saying from this day on they'll only serve alcohol to people born in 1984 or before? That would be classified a gay little rule also. The same tired "well they can drink somewhere else." comment could certainly be applied in retort. Doesn't mean that they wouldn't still be the target of ridicule for their decision. And that's all this is.

Bottom's up :alcoholic

Dr.Buick
04-29-2010, 08:24 AM
Crusie nite at my house all make and models welcome.:banana1:

Karps TA
04-29-2010, 08:34 AM
Yeah, obviously. Is it really any different than a bar saying from this day on they'll only serve alcohol to people born in 1984 or before?

Don't bars pretty much say that? And everyday it changes.

animal
04-29-2010, 08:47 AM
Don't bars pretty much say that? And everyday it changes.

Yeah, but that wasn't my example. The example i meant to convey an unchanging date just like this mcdonalds thing. I guess alcohol was a poor example given the law. Substitute alcohol with food in my example. It'd be equally as gay to see a restaurant only let people born before the 80's come in and eat. Sure it's their freedom to do so, but it doesn't protect them from ridicule over their actions.

animal
04-29-2010, 08:49 AM
Crusie nite at my house all make and models welcome.:banana1:

Ooh, and it's local too. lol

Karps TA
04-29-2010, 08:49 AM
I know what you were saying. I just thought the example was funny.

PureSound15
04-29-2010, 09:05 AM
Solid Gold show blows - Nothin' like lookin at the same cars every single time (Or, a few times and then never going again).

I welcome any "Old Car" guy to complain about the fact that "Us young guys" don't appreciate the beginnings of our hobby as long as he was willing to listen to me bitch about the fact that they take part in it's demise by limiting who can participate.

animal
04-29-2010, 09:23 AM
Solid Gold show blows - Nothin' like lookin at the same cars every single time (Or, a few times and then never going again).

I welcome any "Old Car" guy to complain about the fact that "Us young guys" don't appreciate the beginnings of our hobby as long as he was willing to listen to me bitch about the fact that they take part in it's demise by limiting who can participate.

Yeah, if you were there in 1997 at all, i think you saw the show as it is today... cept with a little more gray hair walkin' 'round. :goof

I won't even take my 66 to these shows because of that bs. :(

Crawlin
04-29-2010, 09:55 AM
I do think the rule is funny as well. I understand it's premise of course. They want a more "hot rod" show then modern muscle. It's cool, but when Fuch's shows up with his F40 and his buddy with the 360spyder, I expect them to get kicked out too, not allowed in the back way like in years past. Same thing with the ACR Viper. But because THOSE cars draw attention compared to an LS1/5.0/etc.... they'll bend the rules.

In the end, when the guys with these cars sell off to buy a boat, or a condo down in florida, or plain old die and those cars get passed on to relatives, there will be less and less. Especially with how these things are still appreciating, people will be selling to get the money or not driving them to save their investment. Inevitably, the show will die because the numbers will disappear. Look at what's already happened in the last 10 years. It used to be PACKED. That ch-chi's lot, across the street, the firestone would be taken up by 100 bikes, etc... Now it's not even half the size.

jbiscuit
04-29-2010, 09:57 AM
It has gotten to be quite small compared to how it USED to be. My dad and I used to drive up from Racine to walk the lot on Wednesday nights. It was such a cool show when Chi Chis was there. So many cars!!!

Feature Pony
04-29-2010, 09:59 AM
[QUOTE=animal;639618]Yeah, if you were there in 1997 at all, i think you saw the show as it is today... cept with a little more gray hair walkin' 'round. :goof
QUOTE]

No cause you would of saw a 96 Camaro SS sitting in the main lot when they let all cars in, it changed in 99 when they put the limit of years on it. :rolf

animal
04-29-2010, 10:08 AM
No cause you would of saw a 96 Camaro SS sitting in the main lot when they let all cars in, it changed in 99 when they put the limit of years on it. :rolf

Ah 99, sorry mah bad. :durr

nismodave
04-29-2010, 10:20 AM
I went to a Weds show last year, for the first time in 4 years.

Nothing had changed. Except less of the same cars, and less people.

Exitspeed
04-29-2010, 11:33 AM

I heard that place is spendy though. Truth?

I too heard the food was outstanding. Might have to get down there this weekend and fuck up some tacos :rolf

Man the wife and I went there on Cinco de Mayo the first year they opened and it was one of the worst dining experiences we ever had. It was expensive, our food LITERALLY took 45 min to get which is unheard of at a Mexican place, and the service was terrible. We'd never go back.

77thor
04-29-2010, 11:41 AM
Man the wife and I went there on Cinco de Mayo the first year they opened and it was one of the worst dining experiences we ever had.

I agree. Their first year they were very expensive and the food was so-so.

However, we went there last year and it was a totally different experience... I will go back.

Exitspeed
04-29-2010, 11:47 AM
I agree. Their first year they were very expensive and the food was so-so.

However, we went there last year and it was a totally different experience... I will go back.

Hmmm, maybe we'll give it another try.

animal
04-29-2010, 01:52 PM
Hmmm, maybe we'll give it another try.

Obviously now we're off topic, but after dining at el fuego, no reason to try another place on the south side imo.

Awesome price, awesome food, huge portions (which is most important to me)

Exitspeed
04-29-2010, 02:28 PM
Obviously now we're off topic, but after dining at el fuego, no reason to try another place on the south side imo.

Awesome price, awesome food, huge portions (which is most important to me)

Yeah I was impressed with El Fuego. I went there with my wife when she was like 8 months pregnant. There was a 45 min wait. The owner saw us standing there and took us to a table immediately. We thought that was nice. Then the second pitcher of Margarita's we (we as in myself and the other people were were with, not my wife) got the bartender put top shelf tequila in it for us for no extra charge. The food was good too.

And yeah, sorry way off topic here. My ADD kickin in.

GRAMPS SS
04-29-2010, 03:28 PM

because we have the RIGHT to do so..United States...home of the free...freedom of speach...but if you piss and moan enough or stick up for someone that has an opinion on a certain site on THIS subject..you get banned...but not here Jason...everyone can speak there mind and not worry about being an ass hat....the rule is for those who only want certain cars and are afraid of change to there show..then when there cruise night dies they find way to blame it on the late model people or what ever they want..or just get rid of that person or persons from there site..i say a cruise night is just that....a night for ALL to cruise...

....sound familiar Jason...not trying to stir the pot..but you know what i'm talking about...but then ..i may be wrong...i have been in the past....but i think all here feel the same way i do....right animal ????

lordairgtar
04-29-2010, 05:48 PM
Nice to see you here, Gramps! I was offering an explanation of what and why of the cruise night, not ripping on anyone's opinion. We all have them. Rules changes at cruise nights? Not gonna change I think, They want the 50s 60s vibe and I can see that. You oughta see the big traditional rod/rat rod/custom scene coming up. Nothing newer than 1964 and no billet or equipment created after 1964. It's huge, just look at Hunnert Car Pile-up, Torquefest, and all the rest. They are much more restrictive than any cruise night has ever been. You had the opportunity last year to populate a cruise night with newer stuff on Friday nights at Gateway in Muskego...Nice area, great bar and 2 for 1 Fish Fry which was very good, more modern music choice inside the bar, oldies outside...no one came. An average car was four... FOUR freakin' cars. Don't like the McDs type shows, not a problem...but you didn't support the ones you could go to. No one to blame but yourself. BTW, since I draw Solid's feature car every week, I think I may have the opportunity to throw hints of changes their way. I think once Gus' gets started, a lot of the people loyal to Donny and his dad are going to go there. If numbers can't be brought up, the cruise will slowly die, and I think that would be bad for everyone, late model, import and hot rod and older car fans alike. My car is newer, and I can't get in a lot of cruises. Doesn't mean I throw a hissy about it. I'm trying to take a pro-active tack on this one. One reason a cruise night might limit it's type of entry is because of space, too. Uh...how 'bout them Bucks!

BlackLightning
04-29-2010, 08:27 PM
the only thing good that I can remember from the mcd's show was 7-8 years ago when a black first gen camaro lifted the front wheels on the street and landed with sparks flying everywhere. that also reminds me of borchardts show about 10 years ago with cars 3 wide laying rubber on 27th street. Now it's all the same old boring stuff. That's why Skeeter's show kicks ass. :thumbsup

lordairgtar
04-29-2010, 10:51 PM
The person (Don Holle)that owns that T-Bird/50 Ford is a guy that does understand the need for letting the newer cars in a cruise. He is in fact on many Car Show committees and has suggested that classes be made to accommodate the newer types of car classes (Imports, F-bodies, Fox bodies, etc.), he knows these cars are the future of the car hobby and should be recognized. You don't have to like his car, and he understands that. Realize that there are the "old ones" like myself and he who push for late model inclusion. Being on the board of a club myself, I know it takes a lot of work to put on a cruise or show. For us, it's a year long thing. After FDL Corn Roast, we immediately start planning the next one.

lordairgtar
04-29-2010, 10:54 PM
tThat's why Skeeter's show kicks ass. :thumbsup
Yes, it's all kick ass until someone puts an eye out.:wooo:rolf

nismodave
04-29-2010, 10:55 PM
Or the cops break it up.

lordairgtar
04-30-2010, 06:41 PM
Or the cops break it up.
:rolf:rolf

u_say_go
04-30-2010, 09:35 PM
because we have the RIGHT to do so..United States...home of the free...freedom of speach...but if you piss and moan enough or stick up for someone that has an opinion on a certain site on THIS subject..you get banned...but not here Jason...everyone can speak there mind and not worry about being an ass hat....the rule is for those who only want certain cars and are afraid of change to there show..then when there cruise night dies they find way to blame it on the late model people or what ever they want..or just get rid of that person or persons from there site..i say a cruise night is just that....a night for ALL to cruise...

....sound familiar Jason...not trying to stir the pot..but you know what i'm talking about...but then ..i may be wrong...i have been in the past....but i think all here feel the same way i do....right animal ????

of course you're trying to stir the pot Wayne. But you're right, people do have the the right to cry when the organizer says no to them, just like the organizers have the right to tell people to park their junk across the street.
Why don't all of the people who CONSTANTLY complain about their cars not being allowed into cruise nights, band together and organize their own show with their own rules? Is it because it takes too much work? Too much money? Too much time and effort? Or is it because they're affraid to deal with all the cry babies who will complain about their rules? It's easier for everyone to piss and moan about the way certain people run their show, than actually do something about it.

If a Harley dealership had a show and it clearly stated "Harleys Only", why would anyone feel they have a right to argue that rule and demand their Honda be admitted to the show? Seriously?! This is exactly what people are doing when they cry about their late model not being admitted into a show (cruise night) that is dedicated to rods, classics, and muscle cars.

keep complaining, you're only making yourself look like an idiot.

read the sign in the picture..."we reserve the right to limit vehicle year, make, and models". how can you argue with someone over this? It's THEIR show, THEIR rules- posted clear as day! Don't like, keep on movin'. Sounds shitty to say, but that's the way it is.

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g3/jaydubya_2006/27741_381496917554_288453722554_399.jpg

Doc Brown
05-01-2010, 08:19 AM
^^The sign is the last thing I'm looking at in that picture... :D

Prince Valiant
05-01-2010, 08:40 AM
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g3/jaydubya_2006/27741_381496917554_288453722554_399.jpg

Dude, that picture was taken....in the future :wow

Korndogg
05-01-2010, 09:10 AM
Everything has a blue tint in the future..:stare

u_say_go
05-01-2010, 08:15 PM
^^LOL! As crappy as that picture is, it's still better than my sorryass photography skills!