PDA

View Full Version : 2000-2008 new beetle?

hrsp
04-25-2010, 10:13 PM
Well she test drove a g6 gtp today and has decided to go with a bug...her car her money...thanks for input and wish her luck!

incase you see something..looking for a 04 and newer auto conv beetle any color but red...no more than 12k...thanks!

Prince Valiant
04-25-2010, 10:21 PM
Can't say that I've ever been in one...but if she insist on getting one, try and get her a TDI at least....and then hope she doesn't accidentally put gas in it.

RanJer
04-25-2010, 10:35 PM
From personal experience... they're a fu<k story. Electrical problems, timing chain problems, interior problems.. and that was with a 01 GLX (1.8t/at)

Personally, I'd advise against the beetle.

wrath
04-25-2010, 10:38 PM
My Aunt has one. She used to love it until the warranty ran out (and it was in for warranty work regularly). Now she hates it. It regularly leaves her stranded. Has less than 100k miles on it and more electrical gremlins than you can shake a stick at.

I don't think they're bad little cars myself, I think my Aunt just got a crappy one. No utility whatsoever and it sucks for hauling anything except one passenger, a small dog, and a bag of groceries. If I were a girl looking for a shitbox Vdub I'd pick a Jetta.

RanJer
04-25-2010, 10:44 PM
I wouldn't say your Aunt just got a crappy one Wrath, as my experience with it was plenty of leaving the girl stranded, and plenty of electrical issues including temp sensors (3x), speed sensors(2x), and the ecu wigging out and needing to be reset twice within 5k miles.. And the car I dealt with has 110K on it currently.

Also, another friends wife has one with less than 120K, and she's on her 3rd trans..

cheap80Z28
04-25-2010, 10:49 PM
freinds wife had a new one, can't remember the year, but got rid of it after 2 yrs biggest pile she ever owned

97z2801ss
04-25-2010, 11:20 PM
Chick i dated in Highschool had a nacho cheese colored bug and she was like 6'10 and that thing had lighting probs and was gone after a year or so

DerangedPony
04-26-2010, 12:00 AM
My wife had one for a while. Leaked/burned oil, crap mpg, and sounded like a wind tunnel inside plus they are hard to work on. Traded it in on a 07 Focus and couldn't be happier.

GTSLOW
04-26-2010, 12:20 AM
Yikes, the wife wants one of these too.

Rocket Power
04-26-2010, 12:33 AM
VW's come in two flavors
1.)They run forever
or
2.) Nothing but problems

I know people with each kind, one has over 400K miles on her VW.

84hurst
04-26-2010, 12:49 AM
My friend has a 2000. As far as comfort goes its roomy. If you're expecting 30+ MPG guess again. Don't expect more than 28. Revs at 3+ grand on the freeway. Gas 1.8 5spd 100k

FoxStang
04-26-2010, 01:08 AM
Everyone I've ever dealt with has had one problem or another, from electronics not working properly to it running like shit. Get her a Jetta diesel and call it done.

TransAm12sec
04-26-2010, 02:55 AM
The add says manual, but the pictures show it to be an auto.

http://www.sommerscars.com/used/Volkswagen/2004-Volkswagen-New+Beetle-5d6c5abe7f0000010015670ae12402cc.htm#

An old friend's Bettle had to have the entire dash taken out for some electrical problem.

Undertaker
04-26-2010, 07:05 AM
My wife had a 2004. Problems with the Passenger Airbag light, Door Locks, Power Outlets, Fuses blowing, and the battery died at 30,000 miles. Wasn't a bad car but felt like it was at the dealership a lot more than it should be.

shoooo32
04-26-2010, 07:05 AM
This thread is unanimous, the new bug is absolute shit in every category except cuteness. My wife had a '04 vert when I met her and it wasn't six months later before I convinced her to get rid of it. It was like driving in a wind tunnel and it had electrical issues the dealer couldn't figure out.

My advice to the OP is that if she can't live without one, get her a cheap lease deal with a warranty.

team beater
04-26-2010, 09:13 AM
Friends story was the same, hot garbage. Always something wrong.

jbiscuit
04-26-2010, 09:15 AM
they are junk

British_Ben
04-26-2010, 11:04 AM
Every car I've ever actually seen from VAG (Volkswagon Audi Group, yes that's the literal abbreviation stamped on their parts) has been a nightmare.

My mom had an '06 Allroad, brand new, which had the back windows roll up and down by them selves. Really was a pain in the rain and snow. The finally fixed it after 2 years of ownership, it was a soldered connection with no heat shrink on it, so it just kept grounding and engaging the window motor. On both sides, two separate soldered connections on opposite sides of the car.

My brother had a '98 A4 1.8t with just over 100k on it... granted he didn't take care of it, but here's the list of problems when he got rid of it: Radio didn't work, headlights didn't work, A/C didn't work, timing chain made the worst sound you could imagine, power steering didn't work, wheel bearings were shot, parking brake didn't work, cruise control didn't work, turbo randomly seized/unseized. However, it was only on it's second clutch and the transfercase/diffs seemed to be in operating order.

Exitspeed
04-26-2010, 11:19 AM
^
This...

And at least it's a chick driving one. There isn't a more homo looking car for a dude to drive. The headroom inside of the New Beetles is just crazy though. It's an odd feeling sitting in one.

BoosTT
04-26-2010, 11:48 AM
To be fair, most vw problems do not leave you stranded. Ofthen times they are electrical problems (windows, locks). Engines are pretty solid, concidering they are turbo. Auto trans is a bomb waiting to explode. I would avoid it.

How about a crossfire? lol

hrsp
04-26-2010, 12:28 PM
i talked to her today and she said she liked a jeep liberty...so we are going to look at those tonight....

hrsp
04-26-2010, 12:40 PM
im trying to sway her to look at an accord...

Josepy
04-26-2010, 12:42 PM
Tell her to get a 2007 G6 GTP. I know of one that needs to be sold.

Slow Joe
04-26-2010, 07:02 PM
Volkswagens are good cars, however be ready to have repairs done.

After working at a VW dealership for 3 years, I'd choose the 1.8T (make sure to do maintinence), or TDi engine. The 2.0 is, thrill less...

If it's a old body Jetta ('99.5-'05.. or maybe it was '04) expect window regulators.
Early Beetles were recalled for electrical issues that could lead to fires.
Golfs and Passats were pretty solid cars.

As long as you maintain 'em by the book, you'll be good. Don't maintain it, and it'll let you know.

The Libertys are pretty good vehicles... Accords are a sure bet for reliability, but expect to pay a premium... And expect no excitement. As long as she can live with that... You're good to go.

hrsp
04-26-2010, 08:24 PM
She drove a o4 liberty a 04 bug and a 08 civic...she liked the liberty the best...tmrw we drive a g6 and something else before she decides....but its looking like she will be going with the liberty...the one she drove was a limited with the v6..seemed ok to me...thanks for input!!!

Josepy
04-26-2010, 08:39 PM
She drove a o4 liberty a 04 bug and a 08 civic...she liked the liberty the best...tmrw we drive a g6 and something else before she decides....but its looking like she will be going with the liberty...the one she drove was a limited with the v6..seemed ok to me...thanks for input!!!

Buy my G6 GTP BUY it please. :thumbsupI need to buy a tahoe.

GTSLOW
04-26-2010, 09:04 PM
I had a G6 GT as my GOV for a while, pretty nice car if you ask me.

wrath
04-26-2010, 10:35 PM
The first generation Liberty (KJ) is kind of a POS, the only thing that made them tolerable were the diesel ones. The gas mileage sucks in them. It's like driving a Ford Escape with Ford Excursion fuel economy. The front end parts and the various interior electronics and movable parts (window regulators among other things) will make you poor. I know two people that got rid of their KJ woes to Carmax in Waukesha. The second generation Liberty (KK) isn't so bad other than it looks like a Nitro.

I have a 2007 G6 with a 3.5L VVT V6. Periodically the radio doesn't respond when you use the remote start but a cycling of the key "fixes" it. Happens about once every six months. Other than that, 40k on it with only oil changes, tire rotations, and 1 new air filter. I did make them warranty the left front unit bearing before the 36k was up but it probably would have gone another 50k. My only complaint with it is the typical unibody clunking coming from cheap struts and the road noise. I've towed about 2200lbs with it. Gas mileage is about 21mpg around town in the summer, 19mpg in the winter. Expressway is between 27mpg and 31mpg depending on how fast you go. Fuel economy drops off fast after 70mph. But it's still a ton quieter than a relative's 2009 4 banger Fusion and another relative's V6 Charger.

Josepy
04-26-2010, 10:38 PM
We have had zero of the problems you did.

GTSLOW
04-26-2010, 11:28 PM
Mine was great too.

hrsp
04-27-2010, 09:09 PM
Well she test drove a g6 gtp today and has decided to go with a bug...her car her money...thanks for input and wish her luck!

incase you see something..looking for a 04 and newer auto conv beetle any color but red...no more than 12k...thanks!

xxtremeteam
04-27-2010, 09:19 PM
my buddy works for motorville vw in sheboygan as a tech they have these
http://www.sheboyganvw.com/VehicleDetails/577937063
http://www.sheboyganvw.com/VehicleDetails/438116573
http://www.sheboyganvw.com/VehicleDetails/685671643

lordairgtar
04-27-2010, 11:58 PM
She'd be better off with a restored vintage air cooled bug. Or the G6.

DerangedPony
04-29-2010, 01:44 AM
The Liberty is a ok truck. I would also take a look at the Grand Cherokee. The 99-04 Grand Cherokees have straight front and rear axles, a very strong I-6 or good V8, more room then the Liberty, same MPG, and priced around the same. Just another idea, I love mine.

hrsp
04-29-2010, 02:34 AM
she is sold on the bug..:(

wrath
04-29-2010, 06:47 AM
Did she offer to allow you to trade her in when it becomes a money and time pit? I mean, I had no idea what a POS these cars were but to knowingly buy something that will likely lead to financial hardship is just plain dumb. It's going to end up at Carmax because you'll feel guilty to knowingly unload a basketcase to a private party and no other dealership is going to want to touch it.

I'd like to have a mud drag truck that runs on nitromethane but I don't have one.

Slow Joe
04-29-2010, 09:03 AM
Did she offer to allow you to trade her in when it becomes a money and time pit? I mean, I had no idea what a POS these cars were but to knowingly buy something that will likely lead to financial hardship is just plain dumb. It's going to end up at Carmax because you'll feel guilty to knowingly unload a basketcase to a private party and no other dealership is going to want to touch it.

I'd like to have a mud drag truck that runs on nitromethane but I don't have one.

Oh shut up.

The 04+ ones aren't that bad. The first few years had some issues.

It's not like no dealership will take it in on trade when you want to get rid of it. That's just not true.

The biggest issue that these cars have is that they are made in the Mexico plant instead of one of their European plants. This makes them quirky.

I've seen these cars with no issues and 180k on the clock, and I've seen 'em with a few issues and 40k on them. It's a car. It will have issues.

GTSLOW
04-29-2010, 09:05 AM
So 2004 and newer is the years to shoot for when getting a bug?

Prince Valiant
04-29-2010, 09:39 AM
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/searchresults.jsp?lastStartYear=1981&num_records=25&search_lang=en&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&search_type=both&distance=100&address=53224&marketZipError=false&style_flag=2&body_style=CONVERT&make=VOLKS&model=BEETLE&make2=&start_year=2004&end_year=2008&min_price=&max_price=13500&seller_type=b&transmission=Automatic&engine=&drive=&doors=&fuel=&max_mileage=&color=&keywordsrep=&keywordsfyc=&keywords_display=&sort_type=priceDESC&body_code=1&certified=&advanced=y&highlightFirstMakeModel=&showZipError=y&default_sort=priceDESC&awsp=false&systime=&scarid=277366823&rdm=1272552027402

Included prices up to 13,500 since it's reasonable to negotiate down to 12.

Slow Joe
04-29-2010, 09:58 AM
So 2004 and newer is the years to shoot for when getting a bug?

Those are the ones I had most contact with while working at a VW store. I didn't see that many issues with them. Although all of the ones older than that I ran into didn't have that many issues either.

I'd steer clear from the '98-'00s just because the first few model years are... Well they're always trying to work bugs out... No pun intended... :rolf

1.8T Motor is a good choice, just get ready for timing belts every 80-90k (some say 50k) The 2.0 is reliable, but it's sluggish...

Oh and watch trim levels on these cars! The GL will not have an arm rest, and you can get a GLS that's base or loaded to the hilt.

EDIT: Also watch because a power top was an option!! :rolf Crazy Germans! One thing I'll say over and over again is that if you don't maintain it, it WILL NOT be reliable. Maintinence is the #1 reason that these cars have issues. People think that they don't need to follow maintinence schedules, or listen to what the service departments have to say, then the car breaks and it's VW's fault that it broke.

Windsors 03 Cobra
04-29-2010, 10:19 AM
That is weird to want to buy a automobile with so many known problems of the worst kind (electrical) Crazy cool German electrics.
Really tho its a woman buying a car so logic has no real meaning.

DerangedPony
04-29-2010, 07:44 PM
Yeah, the old lady had a bug with tons of problems and then wanted a Jetta with the same motor. Needless to say, I steered her towards the Focus and kinda told her this is what we are going to get. I'm not saying I wear the pants in the relationship by any means but there are a couple things she knows to listen to me about.