PDA

View Full Version : im confused...

hrsp
04-24-2010, 12:20 AM
my girls car a 1999 malibu was idling high a few days back so she took it in to a shop her dad recommended...at first they called and told her the computer was shot...then they called the next day and said the next computer did the same thing so they tried a 3rd and same result...so today they call and tell her that she has a intake gasket leak? and its very expensive to repair...

my question is would a bad intake gasket cause the computer to fail? or soes it have to be something electrical? thanks

88Nightmare
04-24-2010, 01:06 AM
Sounds like the computer isn't the issue at hand. Seems like the shop just keeps throwing ecm's in it when that isn't the problem. If it's the 3.4l then it could be intake gaskets. Is it consuming coolant or running rough?maybe it's a tps sensor?

Reverend Cooper
04-24-2010, 05:06 AM
if it has a vacuum leak at the intake gasket it may cause a high idle.tell them put you original ecm in and get it to another shop explain the issues and what the other shop said.

GTSLOW
04-24-2010, 10:54 AM
Sounds like you need to take it to a new shop seems like they're just throwing parts at it.

Russ Jerome
04-24-2010, 11:33 AM
News flash 4/24/10, all "repair mechanics" have been replaced by "parts replacers", ending the need to think, parts suppliers rejoice at rising sales.

I would pay to stand at the service counter and listen to the reasoning behind the vac leak at intake causing ECM failures. Tell them to close the hood with the old ecm in it, no charge or you are calling channel 4, 6 and 12 with your ASE certified mechanic by your side.

Slow Joe
04-24-2010, 12:53 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't pay them a dime. Have 'em put the original computer in (if they didn't have to trade it for the new ones).

They should of been able to diagnose an intake gasket leak easily... Since it's a Malibu it has the 3.1 and that's common in the 3.1 and 3.4 engines...

An intake gasket would not cause the computer to go bad...

hrsp
04-25-2010, 01:20 AM
story she told me didnt match what her dad said the car was doing...either way they dont seem to care whats wrong with it she's just getting a newer car...her current car isnt worth sticking money in she said...thanks though guys!

lilws6
04-25-2010, 07:46 AM
how much they want for it i may pick it up if its cheap lol

rally_scort
04-25-2010, 07:51 AM
if your somewhat of a mechanic, you can get the upper and lower gasket set for $60ish, the job takes a few hours, and the only "special tool" you'll need is a torque wrench for the rocker nuts and intake bolts.This is assuming its a 3.1, 3.4.Id be interested in doing the job, if you wanna fix it and sell it.I love doing intake gaskets :)