PDA

View Full Version : What should i buy!!?!

MitchMeister-
06-13-2004, 01:47 PM
So im in a big debate right now over what vehicle i should buy. Im getting rid of both of my f-body's, and buying something that needs a bit less work. im in a big debate tho over what kinda car i should get! I've always loved f-body's and my dream car would be like a 00' black WS6 or a 3rd gen black GTA. But i dont have 15G's to buy one with. I also love Monte Carlo SS's and Buick Grand Nationals, but i still do like DSM's and some rx-7's, and im really looking at a conquest or starion. I really dont want a mustang because everyone has one now. So what do you guys think. I'd love to get a GTP also, but i dont have the money. I'm not planning on buying a car till next summer again, (well, gettin a winter beater truck.. if anyone knows of a 5-speed s10 or blazer or jeep let me know...) so i'll hopefully have around 8-10 grand by then. ( i go to school so maybe not that much). So what do you guys think... best bang for the buck. my other problem is if i do go with a 4 or 6 cylinder turbo i'll never hear the end of it from my v8 crew i hang with... lol

Yooformula
06-13-2004, 02:13 PM
Theres a guy with a red Formula that is only asking $16k. I heard it runs mid 12's and has some more going into it. I think the pic is in the sig :deal ;)

PB86MCSS
06-13-2004, 02:25 PM
I'd go with a g-body :D .

What are your goals with this car? Street machine, drag car, daily driver that has some power? Will it be stored in winter for example? Knowing that would help answer the question.

A 3rd gen GTA can be had for much less than 15k :wow . A L98 f-body is a nice choice I'd say.

An intercooled Turbo Regal is probably the best bang for the buck performance wise as you can get I'd say, pretty sweet cars. A MCSS is a good choice too :) if you keep it a SBC(you'd want to get rid of the 305 if its still in there for real power) its very easy and cheap to build up with a huge aftermarket, which is very attractive. You could put a big block or any kind of GM motor in a g-body pretty easily, or even f-body for that matter though if you'd like. Lots of bastard swaps out there that are pretty cool, IMO. The SBC part goes for 3rd gen f-bodies too obviously, but g-bodies have more room to work with under the hood and lets say if you want to put true dual exhaust on or something. Parts are quite available for the g and f-bodies which also helps for any restoration or replacment stuff...less headaches and so many things interchange, its one reason I prefer GM stuff, you can make good parts from other car lines work with your car to upgrade.

Starions/Conquests are neat but how pricey are they to mod or repair if need? How hard is it to find parts? There was a guy who had a Conquest in NJ that swung over to a MCSS and one big reason was that parts are so hard to find for those cars, I know I don't see many around...

DSM's seem to be a good bang for the buck but I hear they are pricey to repair and when modified stuff breaks more often than other cars...plus they are smaller, depends on whats comfortable for you. I'm not a big guy or anything but my friends 90' Eclipse is way to cramped for me.

If you can't afford a newer car like a 00' WS6 even though youd prefer one, no reason to go broke trying to pay one off IMO. They will be around later on, buy what you can afford when still in school.

8-10k can get you alot of car if you are smart about it. Might be borderline for a nice TR, not an expert with their prices but you probably could score a nice one with some miles on it for less than that if you keep your eyes open. A guy I know online in KC got his 86' T-Type for 4k I believe, very clean and well kept, just had some mileage. In todays paper there is a *very clean* 84' MCSS with 37k on it supposedly for 5k. If the mileage and clean part is true, thats a very nice price. With 3k more you can have a very nice motor to go with that. For any older car like a g-body or 3rd gen f-body don't be afraid to look down south to make sure you get a clean body car. I did that with my LS and will definately do it again. Rust free is nice :). Rust sucks :(. Theres lots of clean older cars around here but you will pay more as they are stored/babied while in the south a daily driver can be clean.

HTH!

Prince Valiant
06-13-2004, 02:58 PM
you don't want a starion/conquest...not if your looking for something that needs less work. Electrical gremlims galore. The 2.6 head cracks left and right...and for a turbo car, the throttle body injection set up it runs doesn't lend itself to mods quite as easily as other turbo cars do...they do however lend themselves very nicely to small block mopar swaps (especially if you found an auto equiped one) or a 4g63.

My recomendation is if you get something figure your going to work on it alot/moderately and buy something that's easy to work on.

I say find a clean 2nd gen TA or camaro (I lean to the TA as you could get large block poncho's in them til 78 and an olds large block in 79) Register it as a classic/hobbyist and pass the emissions test...once done with that...then lose all the emmissions crap...pull the heads and mill them to get the CR up and have a decent three angle valve job (all for about 150 bucks) through a small-ish summit cam in there (80 bucks...and don't worry about the "small" tag...the cam is still a good step-up from what from stock), get a eddy AL intake (used 50 bucks) a holley 600 vacum secondary carb (new about 250) and hedman/summit headers (90-110) have new exhaust bent up (180-200) and there you go. A pretty fast, and actually quite reliable car to cruise in...if you keep the stock gears, you'll be suprised at how good your mileage could be as well...but I'd recomend at least 3.42-3.73 gears...if you have the 2.76's it'll do okay, but you'll have nothing off the line.

There is a nice TA for sale of Oklahoma and 92nd.

Crawlin
06-13-2004, 04:41 PM
'89 Turbo Trans Am :)

best of both worlds.. GN power with an f-body handling.

i bought my high mileage '99 Z for about $7000 with some mods on it. Sell those unneeded mods and it brought it down to lower than 7g's.

Chris

Al
06-14-2004, 09:36 PM
There is an 11 sec GN for sale on 1st ave in Grafton. You could probably get it for 5k, mabey less.

Flight_740
06-15-2004, 10:32 AM
I would find a GN. That is my choice all day long.

Why do you say you don't have the cash for a GTP? You can find them for dirt cheap these days.

JohnnyT
06-15-2004, 10:45 AM
There is an 11 sec GN for sale on 1st ave in Grafton. You could probably get it for 5k, mabey less.

Sorry to hijack the post, but WHAT are the details on that GN??? I am interested!

BAD LS1
06-15-2004, 11:12 AM
I drive past that thing everyday... doesnt look like it has alot of go fast parts from a distance...

5K for a GN??? is that with or w/o the motor and trans? :rolf even if its got 200K miles ive seen them higher LOL.

JohnnyT
06-15-2004, 12:50 PM
I drive past that thing everyday...

GET ME SOME INFO ON IT THEN!!!!

PB86MCSS
06-15-2004, 05:07 PM
'89 Turbo Trans Am

best of both worlds.. GN power with an f-body handling.

The f-body will have better handling stock and a better center of gravity but its actually quite simple to make g-bodies handle very well :). Even Buicks :D.

5k for a GN is low, if its a beater maybe....11 second car, hardly a chance :).

If you are looking for the best bang for the buck a T-Type or Turbo T is probably going to be cheaper than GN's on average for the same performance, plus its a bit more of a sleeper too.

Al
06-15-2004, 07:37 PM
The car needs to go. He has a kid and needs his own place. It has a ported head and a T56 turbo in it. He had lots of other work done to it last fall when the engine ingested a hose clamp. The block was not damaged, although he did do some work to it because he had (wanted) to disassemble the engine to get the part out. The car is a WE-4. I'm not usre, but the stereo could be part of the deal. He is also planning on taking the window tint off (for those who know, you understand why). He knows what he is doing, just look at that capri.

Before the engine was redone, I had an opportunity to drive it. Because he was lacking a drivers license, and was craving some hwy 100 action, he handed me the keys and said "lets go." BEFORE the engine work, it ran from WS-6's and a corvette C-5.

BTW- it is the fastest car I have driven to date.

My brother is ready to buy his jetta. He is also selling an exploder sport.

BadAzzGTA89
06-19-2004, 08:54 PM
A TTA is a great choice but hard to find for cheap!!So hell go with the almighty GTA i heard those things move :) Atleast the L98 models :rockwoot: