PDA

View Full Version : NHRA Vegas race

whistlin six
04-20-2010, 11:34 AM
If any of you watched the race on Sunday, you saw we had to shut down Bodes car on the starting line. That was one of the biggest dissapointments I've ever experienced. We had a good race car this weekend and qualified in the top half of the field. Everything was going our way until Sunday.

After rolling back from the burnout, I saw our crew chief pointing at the oil pressure guage. When I looked and saw 5 lbs of pressure my heart about stopped beating. I do bottom end and short blocks so any problem related to oiling is my deal.

I felt like throwing up while towing the car back to the pits, going over my routine over and over again trying to figure out what happened. Did I put oil in it? Did I leave something loose? All eyes are on me at this point.

Well it had oil (phew) and the bottom end was all normal (phew). So I took the oil pump apart and there she was, a fukn .50 cent roll pin that holds the pump rotor to the shaft had sheared off, ending our day and the possibility of going rounds on race day. Even though it wasn't my fault I still feel sick about it. Wilkerson smoked the tires in the other lane adding icing to the cake of dissapointment.

In hindsight I'm glad it failed before we sent the car, no doubt it would have come back a pile of rubble. Funny how the littlest thing like a roll pin can shut down a quarter million dollar race car.

MoCkiN U
04-20-2010, 01:14 PM
looking forward to you guys coming to joliet.

Reverend Cooper
04-20-2010, 01:26 PM
Hey your doing something no one else here is thats something to to prod and happy about.I would give my left nut to do what your doing and lose lol

MoCkiN U
04-20-2010, 01:28 PM
^for sure

tho the travel would get old

Crawlin
04-20-2010, 01:36 PM
it's cool to be even a part of that team I bet. sucks for sure what happened, but you know what, those checks and balances were in place and your team did the right thing and saved ALOT of money by not continuing and blowing it up. Who knows what wouldh have happened had the car been sent.

u_say_go
04-20-2010, 03:17 PM
shitty deal Mike! BUT, as bad as you feel about what happened the other day, think about how you felt last year when the car blew up and you thought Bode was dead.
Thank God the crew chief shut it down!

Daytonapacecar959
04-20-2010, 04:24 PM
looking forward to you guys coming to joliet.

X2,i can't wait to go to Route66,it will be my first NHRA race event.
Like other people said you're living the dream of some people here.

whistlin six
04-20-2010, 04:45 PM
Thanks guys.
Yes I know, in the big picture life is good, everyone is safe and we'll get back after it again in Atlanta. Actually everything related to the race car has been the best we've ever seen. Our entire crew has been doing an outstanding job, not one mistake was made this weekend. The car is running better than ever, it responds to changes in the tune up and comes back clean every time. We didn't hurt anything this weekend and that short block has been in the car for 14 passes which is pretty damn impressive for an 8000 hp bomb.

If any of you saw Matt Hagens devastating explosion at the four wide nationals, they sent the car with no oil pressure (and a prayer) and the result was obvious. NHRA instated a new rule after that incident that the crew chief "must" shut the car off in the event it has no oil pressure. duh...

Crawlin
04-20-2010, 07:12 PM
isn't there a rule for oildowns?

or was that if a team does it multiple times? basically like trying to blow it up each pass just to win.

awsomeears
04-20-2010, 10:47 PM
Wow did I just read that ?

I would never think they would send a car down the 1/4 knowing the oil pressure dropped after a burn out or staging !!!

What date for route 66 ?

MoCkiN U
04-20-2010, 11:04 PM
june 3-6

whistlin six
04-21-2010, 08:25 AM
[QUOTE=awsomeears;637362]Wow did I just read that ?

I would never think they would send a car down the 1/4 knowing the oil pressure dropped after a burn out or staging !!!

It makes no sense to me either, he could have gotten seriously hurt or worse.
Matt is near the top of the points battle, so they sent the car on the chance his opponent wouldn't make a full pull and Matt would go on to next round.

They knew the engine wouldn't survive but I don't think they expected the magnatude of that explosion.

new body $60k + new short block and internals $25K + prolly another $25k in misc damage. That was one expensive decision by the crew chief.

99 camaro
04-21-2010, 07:41 PM
I was at the vegas race and also at Indy last year for qualifying when he sent the body into the air!