PDA

View Full Version : Internet connection bad?

OxmanWI
04-19-2010, 01:54 PM
I have Roadrunner business class in the apartment building where I live. I don't have the cable set up, I have the ethernet jack in the wall and the whole building shares the internet. Since I've lived here my internet comes and goes, gets choppy and works when it wants to on and off. I'm getting really sick and tired of this shit. I called Time Warner and they did the connection and server tests so the connection and speed is good. So now I'm thinking my Router is bad? It's a wireless D-link, about 4-5 years old. Never had a problem with it at my other addresses but now since I've lived here my internet does what it wants.

Myles
04-19-2010, 02:48 PM
Turn off the wireless if it is enabled. See if that cleans anything up. If it does, then the router is garbage.

OxmanWI
04-26-2010, 09:38 PM
For the past week I've been hooked up strait to the ethernet jack in the wall and the same thing happens. Comes and goes. So I know it's not the router. I've been noticing too, that when I try and stream videos on SouthPartStudios.com it kicks me off the internet completely. The only way I can get it back is if I reboot the computer and then I have internet again.

British_Ben
04-27-2010, 11:20 AM
Why do you have a router? If there's an ethernet jack in the wall, chances are the apartment building has a gateway/router which is sharing the internet to all tenants. Sounds to me like you should ditch the router in your apartment and just connect directly to the ethernet in the wall. If you want to have a wireless access point in your apartment, you should add a switch and a wireless access point (not a router or a gateway). Then you could connect wired devices to the switch and wireless devices to the access point. They would both be dumb devices under the control of the gateway/router in the apartment building as far as routing goes (and your connection to the bridge/modem/internet). You could obviously control the wireless password for your access point and what not.

You're still having issues when connected directly to the ethernet jack so I would suspect too much load on the router/gateway in the apartment building or not enough bandwidth from TWC.

How many tenants are in the building using this connection?

Cryptic
04-27-2010, 12:07 PM
^ depends...

You could end up being on the same LAN as everyone in your apartment complex. Or if the network was setup to give you a public IP address, well now your computer is completed exposed to the internet. I'm going to have to imagine its the 2nd one.

I've had a few linksys and other routers just die on me, so don't count that out.

British_Ben
04-27-2010, 12:11 PM
Right, that's why I asked how many tenants. If it's 5 it would make sense that they dropped a switch off the modem/bridge and just gave everyone public IPs. If it's 30, I bet they wouldn't want to pay for all of those extra IPs. Either way connected directly to the ethernet jack in the wall he's still having issues so it's either the apartment buildings router/gateway (if they have one) or too much load on the connection over all. I guess it could be a modem/bridge flaking out as well. Could be an issue with the computer(s) as well.

Every apartment that I've been to that have this sort of set up usually have some sort of managed gateway. That's only 2 that I can think of though. :thumbsup