PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a great beginners road racing event?

WhatsADSM
04-19-2010, 10:27 AM
http://www.wmhm.org/

Okay so I meant to post this up a little earlier as I know there are probably some people that are interested. Better late than never I guess.

This is the event that really got me hooked on it and is probably the BEST place I can think of to get your feet wet with road racing. It is called WMHM (Western Michigan Honda Meet), and takes place at Gingerman Raceway in South Haven Michigan (about a 4 hour drive from Milwaukee). It is a 2 day weekend event July 17th&18th.

Here are a few reasons I think it is probably the best event to start out in the sport:

1) Likely one of the safest tracks in the country. There is TON of runoff room everywhere. Hell last year I did something that I knew damn well was a bad idea but I was just having fun having sliding the tail around and I ended up spinning off at over 60mph, and all that I got was a bruised ego (and of course a black flag) from it.
2) Non-threatening. First off it is a primarily a Honda event so many of the cars on this site can probably drive around many of the cars at the event. Also all of the people that go are great and you never really feel pressured to go any faster than you want
3) Enough instructors for all driving in the novice group.
4) Price! Don't know what else to say. $270 is a GREAT deal. :thumbsup You get 2 full days of road racing, a t-shirt and a BBQ. They even let you camp out at the track for free! And don't confuse road racing with the drag strip it is much different. You get either 8 or 10 sessions the entire weekend and each session is 20 minutes long! So you easily can get hours and hours and miles and miles of time on track driving your car hard. Last year I didn't even run in all of my sessions and I still went though over a tank of gas! Also, in comparison $270 only gets you a single day at most other local HPDEs.
5) Overall fun... it is still a car meet. And a great time can be had by just watching the cars, going in ride alongs (by the way I am more than willing to take passengers), and just drinking/eating/shooting the shit.

In any case I am really excited for this year, as I had a blast last year. My only last comment would be that if you are truly interested in going you should sign up and PAY IN FULL ASAP. I noticed that the groups are filling up very fast and there are already wait lists going.

If you have any questions feel free to post up.

wrath
04-19-2010, 12:26 PM
Gingerman is a blast. A Thirdgen F-body or a Fox that is patched together from way too many beatings at Mid-Ohio is a blast there. One of those cars from yesteryear is a great way to get into it. The economy has been bad long enough now that people are letting go of some of their toys.

There's another track "up nort" that isn't too bad either. It's a little less of a zoo and more relaxed. Haven't been to it in years though.
http://www.grattanraceway.com/

-stew-
04-19-2010, 03:09 PM
I'm gonna try and make it out there for this. This look like a good place for me and my car. The car is decent enough mechanically, but I have no experience so I think a field of slower cars would be a better learning environment than RA littered with race prepped Corvettes.

GTSLOW
04-19-2010, 03:59 PM
I'm gonna try and make it out there for this. This look like a good place for me and my car. The car is decent enough mechanically, but I have no experience so I think a field of slower cars would be a better learning environment than RA littered with race prepped Corvettes.

:rolf where's that LOL WUT pic??? I didn't see one Race Prepped Corvette in C or D Class, heck I don't think B class even had any. C or D class at any of these group ran RA events is an excellent place to learn. I'm in no way knocking this event either. Just making sure correct information is put out.

You're car would be fine (pending its mechanically sound and can sit around 6grand for 20mins). All you'd need is a good set of brake pads.

Turbo-Triumph
04-19-2010, 04:25 PM
Damn, this is all filled up. :stare

hopefully lots of people drop out.

WhatsADSM
04-19-2010, 04:35 PM

:rolf where's that LOL WUT pic??? I didn't see one Race Prepped Corvette in C or D Class, heck I don't think B class even had any. C or D class at any of these group ran RA events is an excellent place to learn. I'm in no way knocking this event either. Just making sure correct information is put out.

You're car would be fine (pending its mechanically sound and can sit around 6grand for 20mins). All you'd need is a good set of brake pads.

To be honest having visited both events. Stew is 100% correct.

There was a HUGE range of cars in group C at the last MFBA... There was everything from a miata, to a bunch of C6Zs, to a Radical Prosport (purpose built racecar). Lets take the front straight for example. I once hit about 160mph before letting off, and Lizmo was with me one session where a brand new GTR and I were flying around for about a lap or 2 and literally coming through Canada corner and turn 14 there was not a car in sight but us. Then by the time we were between T1 and T3 we hit a huge 6 car lineup. Now that is what I call closing speed! :wow Even with that kind of power, my first session out I still had to point by Jesse in his crazy stealth because the thing was running me down in the straights! If you are a beginner in a reasonable car and a modified C6z comes from another zip code and runs you down, it can be a little intimidating. :(

Fact of the matter is at WMHM it is at a tighter and IMO more technical track, with cars that have more reasonable horsepower and money thrown at them. These are Honda guys with reasonable budgets, and the focus is a little more on getting the drivers to get the most out of the cars as opposed to how much $$ one can spend on making the car run a number around a track.

Trust me on this... while I have NOTHING BUT GOOD THINGS to say about MFBA, when it comes to an event that is tailored well around beginners this is IT! :headbang

WhatsADSM
04-19-2010, 04:41 PM
Damn, this is all filled up. :stare

hopefully lots of people drop out.

Actually it is not completely filled.

Unless there are ~20-25 spots for each group that say "RESERVED" then it is still (potentially) open.

In short, this is the way I think it works:

"RESERVED" means you registered for the event and filled out the form AND paid for the event. Your spot is locked in.

"UNPAID" means you registered for the event and filled out the form. Because you haven't paid your spot is NOT locked in. Until ~20 cars have filled that group any other one that is "unpaid" or on the wait list can pay in full and take your spot.

"Wait list" means that you registered for the event and filled out the form. Because you were so late with that you are past even the unreserved group. HOWEVER if you pay in full you will lock in your spot.

I just sent a PM to the guy that runs the event to see exactly how it works with the wait list. I will keep this thread updated once I know more.

FWIW, if you are even considering running you should just register. You don't need to pay anything but at the very least you will have the option to lock your spot in if one opens up.

stealthy1ss
04-19-2010, 04:59 PM
I am making sure nothing is going on that weekend right now. This sounds like an opportunity that I can't pass up.

Turbo-Triumph
04-19-2010, 05:51 PM
"Wait list" means that you registered for the event and filled out the form. Because you were so late with that you are past even the unreserved group. HOWEVER if you pay in full you will lock in your spot.

if this is correct, consider me as good as there! please update :thumbsup

I doubt all spots will be filled by friday (payday) in the begginner group.

WhatsADSM
04-19-2010, 06:15 PM
Great news! I was right about the way they run it (which is a little confusing BTW). Even if you are on the "Wait list" if you pay then you are in. It is first come first served :)

Here is the response he gave me:

"No, its kinda confusing but it's all first paid first served.
So even if you are on the wait list if you pay your in. "

Turbo-Triumph
04-19-2010, 06:31 PM
Great news!. "

Great indeed! as long as theres a spot available friday i Deff ganna be there :headbang I hope i keep this thing shiny side up :thumbsup

WhatsADSM
04-27-2010, 11:33 PM
Just a friendly bump. I know chris (the event organizer) is a little slow to update the main web page and it is filling fast. IMO if you are considering going you should sign up and pull the trigger because in a week or 2 I'm not sure if there will be any spots remaining. Here is a cross post from mwir:

Remember even if you are on the waitlist you can still get in.
Everything is first come first served. So wait list folks send payments to payments@wmhm.org

8 spots left in beginner
7 left in intermediate I
1 left in intermediate II
9 in advanced I

SSmike1
05-03-2010, 09:31 PM
come to the October 23/24, 2010, Road America Event, made just for guys/girls,
who want to just have fun with the car, and be safe doing it.
http://roadamerica.fbody.us/