PDA

View Full Version : Computer guru question.

05caddyext
04-15-2010, 11:34 AM
I have a HP computer from 05. Running windows xp still. What would I need to do to be able to hook up my tv to the pc? It doesn't have dual monitor support currently like my laptop does, what do I need to get to have that option. I would like to be able to hook up to the tv with a svga cable that I already have. I also have the proper sound cables with a ground loop isolator. HDMI would also be an option, but would prefer svga because I have the cables already. Any help is appreciated.

Computer has dual processors and 4 gb of ram.

TheRX7Project
04-15-2010, 11:37 AM
http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/how-to-tech/how-to-connect-computer-to-tv.htm

IcePickFreak
04-15-2010, 05:44 PM
I just use http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10231&cs_id=1023104&p_id=2405&seq=1&format=2

You'll still have to run a separate audio cable most likely. I think there's only a few graphics cards that were capable of still doing HDMI audio when it's outputting on a DVI connection.

xxsn0blindxx
04-15-2010, 10:12 PM
It depends on what outputs you have on your computer. Does it have an S-Video output? If not you either need to add a video card that has an S-video or HDMI out put, or if it has a DVI output then get a cable like was previously posted to connect to HDMI. I'm guessing since it is a dual processor system that it is a server class unit so it may only have on-board video. If it has a PCI Express slot I could sell you a video card if you're interested that would have S-video output.

05caddyext
04-15-2010, 10:20 PM
How do I figure out if it has a PCI slot?

xxsn0blindxx
04-16-2010, 07:40 AM
Pull the cover off and typically the slot closest to the power supply is the AGP or PCI-E slot. Otherwise what is the HP model number, I can look it up.

PCI Express Slot (black)
http://www.karbosguide.com/books/pcarchitecture/images/828.jpg

AGP Slot (brown)
http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/pc/docs/article/991008/agp.jpg

05caddyext
04-16-2010, 09:11 AM
The model number is A1630N its a media center edition. I upgraded ram to 4 gb, came with 2 I think.

xxsn0blindxx
04-16-2010, 09:42 AM
Ok, this is a home use PC with a single dual-core CPU. It looks like this has a PCI Express x16 slot. I have several cards with S-video output if you are interested. I have cards suited for basic use to high end gaming cards. Send me a PM if you're interested and I can get some prices and my qualifications. I can install it for you too.

05caddyext
04-16-2010, 10:59 AM
I want to use SVGA not S video. Quality is better with SVGA have used both in the past. I want to be able to use my tv and my computer monitor. Already have the SVGA cable and rca cables for the sound, just looking for proper card with SVGA outs.

Reverend Cooper
04-16-2010, 11:08 AM
mine goes wireless right threw my x-box i dunno if you have that or not

xxsn0blindxx
04-16-2010, 01:39 PM
I want to use SVGA not S video. Quality is better with SVGA have used both in the past. I want to be able to use my tv and my computer monitor. Already have the SVGA cable and rca cables for the sound, just looking for proper card with SVGA outs.

Oh I misread your original post. As long as your TV has a SVGA port you can hook up like any monitor without any additional hardware. You will need to adjust the video settings to be compatible with your TVs input range. Depending on your TV it may have s etting for connecting to a PC which should make it very simple.

05caddyext
04-16-2010, 07:01 PM
We are on different pages here. I know how to hook up the tv with an svga cable. The problem is that my desktop pc doesn't have dual monitor support. I can get the computer to show up on the tv, I can't get the regular monitor to work since I don't have 2 vga outs. Thats what I am trying to accomplish here.

ND4SPD
04-16-2010, 07:56 PM
You mean like using a splitter cable? One to the Monitor, the other to the TV? Though you'd be locked into the lowest resolution of the two. Otherwise you're going to need a video card with two outputs.

Dual processors... WTH is it? A server?

xxsn0blindxx
04-18-2010, 09:13 AM
Ok I get what you're trying to do. Cheapest way would be to do a VGA-splitter, but as previously stated you must run the same resolution on both screens. Best solution is to install an add-in video card. All the cards I currently have, have dual outputs. PM me if you're interested.

British_Ben
04-18-2010, 09:37 AM
You need at add a VGA port by putting another video card in the computer. Although, I'm not sure why you'd stick with VGA then unless that's all your TV supports? What inputs does your TV have?

Is this your motherboard? http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00757531&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=3245027 (According to HP, it's the motherboard from an a1630n)

Are you currently using the vertical VGA port by the USB ports to connect to your monitor?

If you are, you have 3 options. 1) You could use a splitter cable, but then the displays will default to the lowest resolution of the two, like ND4SPD said. This will most likely look like crap. 2) You could buy a PCI express X1 video card with whatever output you'd like on it, VGA, DVI/HDMI, s-video. 3) You could buy a regular PCI video card with whatever outputs on it, although, you might be limited to VGA. I haven't looked at PCI video cards in a long time.

05caddyext
04-18-2010, 11:00 AM
I want to stick to SVGA because I already have all the needed cables. My tv is 28FT away from the computer and I don't want to buy new stuff when I already have this stuff. I bought a video card from Best Buy well see if that works for me.

FoxStang
04-18-2010, 07:21 PM
Dual processors... WTH is it? A server?

Dual core has been out for several years now, they have quad core too.

xxsn0blindxx
04-18-2010, 09:46 PM
Dual Processor and Dual Core are two different things.

FoxStang
04-19-2010, 01:31 AM
I know, but I thought your post said it was a dual core and not a dual processor like the OP stated.

xxsn0blindxx
04-19-2010, 12:28 PM
I know, but I thought your post said it was
a dual core and not a dual processor like the OP stated.

I think ND4SPD was replying in reference to the OP's statement that it was a dual processor system.