PDA

View Full Version : Worst-Made Cars on the Road

Nix
04-12-2010, 10:39 AM
http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home/article/109278/worst-made-cars-on-the-road?mod=family-home

From Forbes, thoughts? I do agree with the Nitro being a pieace of shit.

BAD LS1
04-12-2010, 11:39 AM
CR is pretty biased twoard anything foreign.

Al
04-12-2010, 02:03 PM
Could they at least provide a decent description as to why the cars are junk?

FoxStang
04-12-2010, 02:18 PM
I would agree on the Escalade, no where near where a luxury truck should be. But with the rest of the stuff for a Colorado and an Aveo, what were you expecting, luxury build quality. IMO def a bias.

Karps TA
04-12-2010, 02:26 PM
I don't see bias so much as some pretty shitty cars. Why anyone would buy an Aveo is beyond me. The Nitro was one of the worst cars I drove last year when car shopping.

I actually think the entry level car market is one thing the domestic makers have yet to figure out. They've improved dramatically their mid-level and up cars, but the entry level cars just seem so shitty. Not that the Jap cars seem like you're driving a BMW, but they somehow don't feel like they were assembled on somebody's lunch break.

But I don't get why anyone would buy an Aveo brand new, compared to buying a much nicer used car that's a couple years older.

Prince Valiant
04-12-2010, 02:27 PM
CR is pretty biased twoard anything foreign.
I fault CR closed feedback loop...CR only survey their own readers, who opinions are informed in part by reading CR, which only serves to increase the likelyhood of reader survey results negatively or positively.

Once one impression is made on CR, it's hard to change the course of the reader opinion due to the above.

J.D. powers at least surveys random owners...and it's no surprise that there is often times fairly significant diferences b/w what CR says about a models reliability and that of JDpowers....but at the same time, it's not always different.

As to the specific cars on the list, I don't know I can say I'd know enough about any of them to say. I wouldn't have guessed that either the Escalade nor F250 would score so poorly. The aveo of course. The nitro, while it's no favorite of mine, I a little surprised that it's scores are significantly different than the Liberty since they're pretty much the same (though the liberty isn't offered with either the 4.0 nor the actually reliable 5 speed auto).

I think to call a car among the "worst made" though, they left out an important category...and that's owner satisfaction. How do the people who own these cars feel about them? Does the apparent problems that these cars have enough to really dampen their ownership experience, or are they simply counting "problems per car" w/o detailing the severity of those "problems"?

Ultimately, articles like these tend to be unsatisfying since it really doesn't tell me a whole lot of what I'm concerned about as it relates to cars.

BR3W CITY
04-12-2010, 03:48 PM
cr is pretty much a joke when it comes to auto testing. They heavily favor certain brands, and specifically certain models; regardless of major changes to the model. I agree with the nitro and the aveo...they suck.

The escalade I agree with because its a poor value, but I don't see that being a direct relative of "best or worst made". Value is another topic completely. Also the weird way they lumped the categories and the numbers seems a bit unusual. "35 of 100" but we won't tell you wtf the numbers mean.