PDA

View Full Version : 1996 Saturn SL1 SOHC 5 speed AWESOME

Moparjim
04-09-2010, 05:21 PM
Awesome daily for someone that needs one. I just got done putting a TON of work into it. It runs and drives EXCELLENT now and should get mid thirties gas mileage and give someone years of reliable transportation! I basically just took it from my daughter and fixed everything it needed. It is in nice shape - minor scratches and wear but overall looks really nice and interior is nice and it drives GREAT - nice and tight, makes plenty of power, stops awesome. Has 142K on it but you would think it was 50k driving it. Almost all major parts are NEW or relatively new.

BRAND new as in this week:

Remanufactured head, cam, all gaskets, new bolts, etc.
Water Pump
EGR valve
Timing chain set and tensioner
Complete front brakes including both calipers, pads, rotors
Temp sensor
Oil change and filter
Coolant mega flush and fill
New front tires
Spark plugs

Recently new within the last year or two:

Clutch
Alternator and serpentine belt
Lower motor mount
Battery
Front end parts
Exhaust

Probably some stuff I'm forgetting.

Car choice wise with the 5 speed SOHC cam motor this is actually a decent ride as well - phenomenal mileage, decently ok fun to drive with the five speed plus no auto tranny worries, and plastic body means you don't see any rust and it still looks really decent for its age. About the only chronic problem I ever heard of about these cars is the head, and the new one I got is supposedly a new sand casting that fixed the original factory issue in the casting. Other than that the motor is very reliable, this one looked in great shape when I had it apart - still had cross hatching in the cylinders, no gunk, no ridge, etc. Everything you'd ever worry about is new.

Anyways firm no haggle BCM price is $1500.

That's what I have into it in parts and car cost alone, not counting all the labor I put into it. If I can't get my money out of it, I will just keep it and daily drive it in the winter or something myself. Its really a nice car, I would say for $1500 I would bet decent money you wouldn't find anything nicer and that has anywhere near this much work put into it.

lilws6
04-09-2010, 05:53 PM
wana trade and do all that to my 93 lol i need an upgrade :) needs some work :goof

Yooformula
04-09-2010, 07:16 PM
post up some pics Jim.

Ricky Bobby
04-09-2010, 07:44 PM
calling my sister now for ya she needs a new ride her taurass is dying and needs to go lol

Moparjim
04-09-2010, 09:36 PM
I will post pictures soon, probably tomorrow. Its pretty much a burgandy saturn though lol. It will probably look great in pictures. It basically has no dent/damage at all, no rust that you can see since its plastic. Your usual collection of scratches, minor dings, etc. of a carf its age but overall looks very respectable. The interior is really nice, no rips etc.

Russ Jerome
04-10-2010, 03:02 PM
Got 39mpg in the identicle car doing 75-80mph with AC on to Detroit, two pass and luggage! They dont build them like that any more...oil componies would fold :)

Moparjim
04-10-2010, 07:55 PM
I should be home all day tomorrow, if any of the interested parties wants to take a look. I will most likely be Craigslisting it starting Monday...

Ricky Bobby
04-10-2010, 08:32 PM
sister is poor nevermind shes out lol

Moparjim
04-11-2010, 07:25 PM
Pictures