Johnny Lightning from JL performance.

Vid:

http://home.comcast.net/~rstaley103435mi/Mov01739.mpg
Time:

9.88 @ 133.5
6.29@110 1/8
1.45 60'

Not bad for a full size truck :)

He blew a head gasket through the traps, that's what all that smoke is.

MoreTorque
06-08-2004, 02:05 PM
Damn that thing is crazy! :thumbsup

Syclone0044
06-08-2004, 05:26 PM
Got any more information? This might be really interesting, but without more info I can't draw any conclusions. Specifically I'm wondering was it still a 5.4? Was it a stock block or crank? I assume he was spraying nitrous, how much? How much boost? What blower? Also I'm most interested in what fuel they are running. Sometimes I see posts like these and I go to the websites to find out the information (the last time someone posted an 11 second Diesel truck comes to mind) and find nothing but "attaboys" and no real technical information. If it turns out to be a stripped dragster big block Ford on 300HP nitrous I'll be a lot less impressed, but the fact that he blew the head gasket suggests to me it still may very well be a 2nd-gen-Lightning-style forced induction small V8.

Congratulations to JL.

animal
06-09-2004, 12:28 AM
JL is a Lightning tuner shop, and I am 99% positive it is a 5.4 only built up on the bottom end. Likely the stock crank as those are forged to begin with, but I'm positive the pistons and rods are not stock. But then again, I'm sure nothing besides the block and crank are stock. Heads I'm sure are ported, cams, tranny is built, and all the little extra crap. He's probably got every mod available done to that thing to get where he's at. That includes a Kenne belle twin screw blower and nitrous. None of the actual numbers have been talked about yet as you mentioned. Based on what I've heard of his previous times, the boost is well over 20, and i have no idea of the n2o shot. I'm not real sure on what fuel he runs.

Now I did look into the weight and I found conflicting reports anywhere from 3700 without driver to 4300 with driver. Stock is 4720. Mine minus the hitch is 4900 with my heavy ass in it. So take that info for what it's worth :)

But definately not just a shell with a big block installed. It is the actual Lightning stuff... just heavily modified... but at 9 seconds what car isnt.

MoreTorque
06-09-2004, 01:05 AM
Now we need a PSD SuperDuty in the 9's :wooo

ruhlahan
06-10-2004, 04:19 AM
so, he can finally give mike james' 1st gen a run?

animal
06-10-2004, 09:34 AM
You mean "Mike418" ?

Well in JL's defense, the windsor motor has been around forever. :) Mod motors are starting to come along though, as is the aftermarket for them. But yeah, I'd like to see THAT shootout if it would ever occur.

Josh,

apparently JL is being secretive about his mods now. He "let us in" on his bassani 3" prototype catback system that he's using now, as if that matters to us or really helps a full on drag truck any. I have been looking for some info for you but none has been available :(

ruhlahan
06-12-2004, 03:19 AM
well, the jl vs mike 418 did happen, but its never a heads up race.. its bracket style (why pro lightning is bracket is beyond me) jl's truck is damn nice, thats one hell of a paint job on it
WFC 7 ROCKED