PDA

View Full Version : Where to go for prairie dogs?

That_Guy
04-08-2010, 08:42 PM
I've got a rather large amount of pto saved up. I would like to do a little 4-5 day trip out west to do some dog slaying with my grandfather. I've never had the chance to go outwest. I know somebody had mentioned going out west to do this. Any idea's would be helpful. I was thinking about going out south dakota.

Prince Valiant
04-08-2010, 08:49 PM
Dakota's...either north or south. Wyoming too...but even though the dakota's are desolate, Wyoming a lot more desolate...

Reverend Cooper
04-08-2010, 08:52 PM
My brother goes every year i believe to south dakota,hit him up

That_Guy
04-08-2010, 09:49 PM
My brother goes every year i believe to south dakota,hit him up

will do.. I called an outfitter about it and the outfitter was saying 350 a day, Room, board, "guided" hunts. I'm not sure if a guide is even need. :confused

Russ Jerome
04-08-2010, 11:56 PM
I'm not sure if a guide is even need. :confused

SD has over 4,000,000 (thats 4 million) acres of public hunting ground, load up your gramp and a bunch of ammo and comfy seats. I have a buddy who goes west every year and exclusively hunts public grounds, guy cleans up every year.

LEWETHETIGER73
04-09-2010, 06:17 AM
check out www.dogbegone.com

Crawlin
04-09-2010, 06:41 AM
you kill those cute little fuzzy creatures I was feeding cheeto's too when i was little on my trip through the badlands?

awww....

michelle
04-09-2010, 06:57 AM
:stare

):

Car Guy
04-09-2010, 10:36 AM
you kill those cute little fuzzy creatures I was feeding cheeto's too when i was little on my trip through the badlands?

awww....

We did the same thing, probably why they were the size of bowling balls.....:rolf

:stare

):

:rolf:rolf:rolf

That_Guy
04-09-2010, 01:50 PM
you kill those cute little fuzzy creatures i was feeding cheeto's too when i was little on my trip through the badlands?

Awww....

slay... Them...

GTSLOW
04-09-2010, 01:55 PM
Sick bastards

badass88gt
04-09-2010, 02:26 PM
I say kill them all, then have a feast. I've heard they taste like badger....

STANMAN
04-09-2010, 03:11 PM

Stay in your truck, you don't want to touch them as they carry all sorts of diseases.

I would say no to guided hunts, get the permit to hunt on the numerous Native American reservations out there (both of the Dakota's), that's where the good dog shooting is at.

Make sure you get out early in the morning to, when there's still lots of moisture in the air. Nothing as cool as seeing the vapor trails all the way to the dog:thumbsup

Don't worry Michelle, by shooting these you are saving other wildlife from horrible deaths when they step in the prarie dogs holes and break their legs. Think of it as a animal public service:thumbsup

Rocket Power
04-09-2010, 04:43 PM

http://www.badgerbadgerbadger.com/

Cryptic
04-09-2010, 05:59 PM
Colorado is full of prairie dogs too

Coops Brother
04-09-2010, 09:38 PM
Call Lance Christiansen 1-308-862-1107 he will set you up with the Indian Res. permit. You need to pay him for his "guide" fees to shoot the little b@stards, but there is no one else shooting for 30 miles around. Then call Badlands/White River KOA, 1-608- 433-5337 I think is the number. Book a Kamping Kottage, cheap, kitchen, shower, crapper. It is the closest place off of the Res.

Cost of the permit was $90
Lances fees were $85/ day, but you can talk him down, just be cordial to him.

Where you will be shooting is around Kyle, SD. about 65 miles SSE of Rapid City, SD.

This is the tried and true way to go about this, no messing around looking for the big dog towns, no driving 130 miles a day to the hotels in Rapid City, and no staying at the hotel on the Res. risking you stuff be stolen.

Yeah, there are public lands, and they are like Wi. public lands, crowded and shot up. Pay a little more a go where the action is, trust me you'll be shooting from morning 'till evening.

That_Guy
04-09-2010, 10:51 PM
Call Lance Christiansen 1-308-862-1107 he will set you up with the Indian Res. permit. You need to pay him for his "guide" fees to shoot the little b@stards, but there is no one else shooting for 30 miles around. Then call Badlands/White River KOA, 1-608- 433-5337 I think is the number. Book a Kamping Kottage, cheap, kitchen, shower, crapper. It is the closest place off of the Res.

Cost of the permit was $90
Lances fees were $85/ day, but you can talk him down, just be cordial to him.

Where you will be shooting is around Kyle, SD. about 65 miles SSE of Rapid City, SD.

This is the tried and true way to go about this, no messing around looking for the big dog towns, no driving 130 miles a day to the hotels in Rapid City, and no staying at the hotel on the Res. risking you stuff be stolen.

Yeah, there are public lands, and they are like Wi. public lands, crowded and shot up. Pay a little more a go where the action is, trust me you'll be shooting from morning 'till evening.

boom! Thanks so much! Thats exactly what i was looking for! I'm shooting to get out there by late june so i know booking it may be a little tight.

Russ Jerome
04-09-2010, 11:50 PM
I called my buddy who hunts SD on way to WY to hit Muleys, he would love to make a caravan out that way before Muley season to blast dogs for a few days...need another hobby!

Coops Brother
04-10-2010, 08:37 AM
Lance is a by word of mouth "guide" He knows where the dogs are and takes you there and shows you where you can shoot, usually the boundries are fences that border a 20,000 acre ranch. That being said, he will come out and check on you during the day maybe, but he don't bring lunch or anything. I know, what do I get for the guide fee?
You get extremely large dog towns, and privacy. The only reason to go through Lance is that when you shoot on the Res. they require you to have a guide.

The way we have done it in the past is to send him our name and address, and a USPS money order to him for the license, he will get it for you before hand. When we get out there we pay him cash for his fees, he likes that.

Now, being a word of mouth guide, and the word came from my mouth.
Don't screw up and ruin it for me, listen to what he tells you, and all will be OK.

BTW- no alcohol on the Res. that is another good reason for staying at the KOA campground.

Coops Brother
04-10-2010, 08:47 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYqodWq-wUo

Coops Brother
04-12-2010, 10:43 PM
Lance's cell phone is 1-605-454-3503.

WhiteZCamaro
04-14-2010, 08:14 PM
I have been wanting to do this for a while now, stretch out the AR a bit!!!

SLOWC5
04-16-2010, 10:19 AM
Been to SD about 5 times, my dad and his friend flew out to Wyoming/ Canada border and went with a guide. He said there was no comparison to SD, they both got bored from shooting so much. I'll get the info of the guide and post up. He was referenced from SCI I believe.

JEFF