PDA

View Full Version : Thanks to Jim S. for help with the turbo swap!

WhatsADSM
04-08-2010, 12:42 PM
Just wanted to say thanks to Jim S. (Dr. Buick) for helping me swap the turbo on my car. I have done quite a bit of work on my his car, but he definately went out of his way by staying up so late to make sure everything got done and I could drive the thing back the same day. Jim you are now part of a very elite group (I think it is just myself, Ron, and you now) that have had the "pleasure" of removing the turbo from that car. Those back 2 bolts are next to impossible to get at!

I actually swapped to a smaller turbo. Used to have a Journal bearing GT4067 67mm compressor t4 turbo (with .81 A/R backhalf) on the car, and swapped "down" to a ceramic ball bearing PT6262 62mm compressor t4 turbo (with a .68 A/R backhalf). They are visually very similar. Basic premise was the old turbo was just too big for what I was doing with the car. It was a MONSTER on the freeway and was a decent turbo for a drag car but I don't have a huge motor and never really pushed the turbo very hard so it was kind of useless having something that big on a car that feels most at home on a road course.

The PT6262 should spool about 1000 RPM sooner, while not giving up too much really in terms of total power. To be honest I doubt my 1/4 times will change much and if they do its nothing a few keyboard strokes can't fix anyways. On the road course the car should be a different animal though. Earlier boost and FAR FAR better transient response should really help for exitting the corners.

Here are a few cell phone pics from the swap.
Old Gt4067 next to new PTE6262. You can actually see how the overall diameter of the compressor on the new turbo is smaller. But pay close attention to how long the blades are cut on the new billet turbo (see the inside of the wheel by the nut). That is how they get those small(er) wheels to flow like the next size up :thumbsup
http://www.murlynna.com/pics/Car/6262_and_GN/resized/6262_Pic1.jpg

Picture of the divided manifold and turbo placement on the engine/engine bay.
http://www.murlynna.com/pics/Car/6262_and_GN/resized/6262_Pic3.jpg

The next 2 really put everything into perspective. Here is a shot of the compressor housing on the 6262 next to that metal monstrousity that is on the GN. The turbine side looks equally as silly if not more. What is crazy to think is that the 6262 can sit comfortably in the 600whp range, and people have even pushed them to almost 800whp. Yet it looks like a little peanut in comparison :wow
http://www.murlynna.com/pics/Car/6262_and_GN/resized/6262_Pic4.jpg
http://www.murlynna.com/pics/Car/6262_and_GN/resized/6262_Pic5.jpg

Beagle
04-08-2010, 12:50 PM
uh Oh cant believe jim touched an import.

Dr.Buick
04-08-2010, 12:52 PM
No problem. You have done it for me. I have 3 hours in your car, you have 100 in mine :rolf

whistlin six
04-08-2010, 05:35 PM
That looks SICK!!!

jbiscuit
04-08-2010, 10:06 PM
Awesome swap Murray. Hope it works out well for u

Prince Valiant
04-08-2010, 10:27 PM
Jim S. really is one of the good guys in the hobby. Very low-key and unassuming, but will go out of his way to help.

Smokey1226
04-08-2010, 10:29 PM
a lot of male bonding going on in that shop!!

WhatsADSM
04-08-2010, 10:51 PM
a lot of male bonding going on in that shop!!

you want in? :rolf

So I took the car around and its hard to judge exactly what the turbo is like. In this cold anytime I'd get on it the car would go sideways once boost hit. :3gears:

I'll snap a quick vid tomorrow and post it up.

Smokey1226
04-08-2010, 11:10 PM
better yet, come down and pick me up....you keep your hands on the wheel, and ill do the video!

SmokinRAM114
04-08-2010, 11:23 PM
better yet, come down and pick me up....you keep your hands on the wheel, and ill do the video!

dude sometimes u scare me.. if i knew u werent hittin holly again i would probobly assume ur gay :rolf:rolf:rolf

Flicktitty
04-08-2010, 11:40 PM
Nice setup, should be pretty fun. you should talk to SP about getting a quick spool valve put on that car, it would really be a monster then! look forward to seeing what the 6262 will do on a RB.

LIZMO
04-08-2010, 11:45 PM
thats awesome! billet all the way :)
i got the pte6265 billet :)

WhatsADSM
04-09-2010, 12:54 AM
Nice setup, should be pretty fun. you should talk to SP about getting a quick spool valve put on that car, it would really be a monster then! look forward to seeing what the 6262 will do on a RB.

I have thought about it.. But a few issues:
1) I actually have a divided manifold
2) PTE billets are undivided housings (at least to my knowledge they all are)
3) Spool valve works pretty well for a street car /drag car but I'm not too sure about the predictability. My whole reasoning for getting the BB over the journal bearing had nothing to do with the full spool RPM (which it hardly effects) but rather transient response and being able to more easily control part throttle boost. I had to eliminate the flash spool I had on my old turbo.

I agree with you though, it does look like a pretty cool device... Kinda like a poorman's way to do a twin scroll. :thumbsup

Next year, hopefully the whole setup will change anyways so this turbo will likely only get tested for a season.

thats awesome! billet all the way :)
i got the pte6265 billet :)

Cool! Good choice. What turbine housing did you go with?

Cryptic
04-09-2010, 12:57 AM
Jim S. really is one of the good guys in the hobby. Very low-key and unassuming, but will go out of his way to help.

word

moves quick too

Smokey1226
04-09-2010, 08:59 AM
dude sometimes u scare me.. if i knew u werent hittin holly again i would probobly assume ur gay :rolf:rolf:rolf
lmao....wait a minute....you must be hanging out a mark's shop again? lol

BigSnailBuick
04-09-2010, 09:04 AM
Looking good!!! Both are sexy looking snails. And those bolt locations do look like a knuckle bleeder to get at:D

Dr.Buick
04-09-2010, 09:07 AM
Looking good!!! Both are sexy looking snails. And those bolt locations do look like a knuckle bleeder to get at:D
You are correct on the bolts. needs allen head bolts for sure!

Flicktitty
04-09-2010, 11:07 AM
I have thought about it.. But a few issues:
1) I actually have a divided manifold
2) PTE billets are undivided housings (at least to my knowledge they all are)
3) Spool valve works pretty well for a street car /drag car but I'm not too sure about the predictability. My whole reasoning for getting the BB over the journal bearing had nothing to do with the full spool RPM (which it hardly effects) but rather transient response and being able to more easily control part throttle boost. I had to eliminate the flash spool I had on my old turbo.

I agree with you though, it does look like a pretty cool device... Kinda like a poorman's way to do a twin scroll. :thumbsup

Next year, hopefully the whole setup will change anyways so this turbo will likely only get tested for a season.

Cool! Good choice. What turbine housing did you go with?

yeah, i know SP sells a hybrid pte/turbonetics turbo. they use all pte stuff but the rear cover is a Turbonetics divided for divided manifolds. so you could run it i know SP just started doing those within the last month or two. then again boost coming on too early in these little lightweight I6 240sx's might be a bad thing.

her turbo's pretty much just like yours. 6265 .68 a/r T4 frame billet S-Cover. should be pretty nice have about 6 miles on the car lol. should be more after Ron touches it this sunday.

WhatsADSM
04-09-2010, 11:17 AM
yeah, i know SP sells a hybrid pte/turbonetics turbo. they use all pte stuff but the rear cover is a Turbonetics divided for divided manifolds. so you could run it i know SP just started doing those within the last month or two. then again boost coming on too early in these little lightweight I6 240sx's might be a bad thing.

her turbo's pretty much just like yours. 6265 .68 a/r T4 frame billet S-Cover. should be pretty nice have about 6 miles on the car lol. should be more after Ron touches it this sunday.

No kidding. I never knew that. It would be interesting to see what they charge to convert it.

Wow... that is REALLY close to what I have. Only difference is that slightly larger turbine wheel. Also not sure if she is running the journal or ball bearing, but in anycase VERY close. I am very interested to see how that .68 A/R t4 backhalf does with the 3L. My only worry is that it might be a little small. My old GT40 actually had a .81A/R t4 turbine housing on my 2.6 (granted it does rev a little more than the 2JZ). I was actually a little worried about going down to the .68 A/R myself for my setup, but it so far it doesn't seem to be choking anything. I wouldn't worry too much for Liz I'm sure it will work well, I am just curious to see what happens if she REALLY turns the wick up.

Also you guys coming out to RA next weekend? If you do come out on Sat, come find me. I definitely want to check out Liz' setup. If you want I can take you around for a session as well, I may be taking out Joespy too.

Flicktitty
04-09-2010, 01:00 PM
we should be up there next weekend, i doubt she will be tracking the car but she will most likely go and watch with it. we picked the .68a/r just due to the automatic factor and seeing the car has a sub 7k redline i dont see it getting too choked out up top. oh it is journal bearing as well. should be fine on the 3 liter tho.

WhatsADSM
04-09-2010, 02:32 PM
we should be up there next weekend, i doubt she will be tracking the car but she will most likely go and watch with it. we picked the .68a/r just due to the automatic factor and seeing the car has a sub 7k redline i dont see it getting too choked out up top. oh it is journal bearing as well. should be fine on the 3 liter tho.

Cool. Yea, I think it will work pretty well for what she is doing with the car. When you go to RA come find me. I'll be going out in group C, bring a helmet.

So I got a little more data. It spools right around 4200-4300 now, which is right around 1000 RPM more of full boost. The car revlimits at 8000 BTW so almost 4000RPM of full spool is a nice powerband. I gotta be honest too. I don't think this thing lost any power, or maybe it is just a seat of the pants thing and the cold. But I took the car out at lunch and gave a coworker a ride back in it, and I got on it hard in 2nd and it boiled the tires through 2nd/~70mph (which I expected), I then shifted hard to 3rd and I think in part because this turbo recovers so quickly and hits so hard initially, the car then proceeded to boil the tires through third until I let out a bit at around 100mph. Left some big stripes out back and you could smell the tire smoke from the rolling burnout. :burnout It was enough to keep us both on the edge of our seats to say the least. :wow

Granted it is nice and cold out, but still it seems to be pulling quite nicely for a relatively moderate boost level (20psi). If anyone is interested in the new PTE billet stuff, on the record I would say "color me impressed" :thumbsup

SmokinRAM114
04-09-2010, 03:06 PM
lmao....wait a minute....you must be hanging out a mark's shop again? lol

oh i have my ways bitch:stare

Smokey1226
04-09-2010, 10:32 PM
I love it when you talk dirrrty to me lolzzz

Dr.Buick
04-09-2010, 11:01 PM
Get Your on hotel room this is murrays

Dr.Buick
04-10-2010, 07:53 AM
so, now that the car is up and running, do I get to shoot it soon?
Who are you calling out

WhatsADSM
04-10-2010, 10:19 AM
so, now that the car is up and running, do I get to shoot it soon?
Definately. I am ready pretty much whenever. Next week Sat. I am racing it up at RA though.

I'll shoot you a PM.

Who are you calling out

Photo shoot :thumbsup

HY35F2T
04-10-2010, 12:28 PM
what you doing with the old turbo.:shades

WhatsADSM
04-10-2010, 10:20 PM
what you doing with the old turbo.:shades

Selling it, you got a PM :thumbsup

Junky Giorgio
04-11-2010, 03:01 PM
Murray, you're slacking on posting up the video of your b1tch in action! =P

WhatsADSM
05-15-2010, 12:03 AM
Just an update to this. I was bored today and went to GLD just to get some fun runs in and see how the new turbo was in the straights.

Unfortunately by the time I turned the boost up the temps went down and I couldn't repeat my 1.6x 60's I was getting earlier in the day. However what was interesting was that on 17psi I was in the mid 120s for mph (which is actually a touch better than the 40r was), and at 23-24psi I got a new best mph for the car of 136.30! :wow

So yea if anyone is considering the turbo, I would just echo my previous comments: "Color me impressed." I gained about 800 rpm of full spool and actually posted up the same, if not better, mph (read power under curve) numbers than I did with a 5mm larger turbo! The new PTE billet stuff rocks :headbang :banana:banana

Crawlin
05-15-2010, 04:46 AM
That's awesome! I tried to make it down last night, and I know Jim said you were shooting down.

Congrats!