PDA

View Full Version : anyone have DLP TV repair recommendations?

Moparjim
04-07-2010, 01:46 PM
Anyone do or have a place to recommend for Toshiba DLP TV repairs? Funny, a week or whatever after posting how happy I have been with mine, it is now dead. It starts up but no picture or menus. Blinking both front lights and acting like it keeps trying to restart or something. Acts like it does when it blows a bulb, but the bulb isn't blown and I tried a new one. Strange thing is it doesn't even turn off...

Anyone know a good tv repair place that won't rape me?

Josepy
04-07-2010, 01:47 PM
Anyone do or have a place to recommend for Toshiba DLP TV repairs? Funny, a week or whatever after posting how happy I have been with mine, it is now dead. It starts up but no picture or menus. Blinking both front lights and acting like it keeps trying to restart or something. Acts like it does when it blows a bulb, but the bulb isn't blown and I tried a new one. Strange thing is it doesn't even turn off...

You try unplugging it for a minute and then plug it back in. Mine has done this rarely in the last 4 years of owning it. This always fixed it for me.

Moparjim
04-07-2010, 02:10 PM
Yeah I've unplugged and prayed a bunch of times, no luck.

BoosTT
04-07-2010, 02:18 PM
Sounds like an control board or power supply. Just a fyi the parts to repair dlps are EXPENSIVE. A repair would easily be $600+. I think your money would be better spent twords a new tv and selling your broken dlp. Or try a diy...

I might be willing to purchase it, if you decide not to repair it.

CannotPost
04-07-2010, 03:01 PM

http://www.avmonline.com/

I have had some equpiment repaired here and have been happy. I am sure they can look @ your set for you.

Silver86
04-07-2010, 03:08 PM
when mine did that (weve got the same tv)... the whole light engine unit had to be replaced. it was still under warranty a the time... but it that happens again... :wow

BoosTT
04-07-2010, 04:52 PM
Yup. My light engine repair was $1000!!

Moparjim
04-07-2010, 07:12 PM
Fixed it...

Bought the repair manual PDF for $5 on Ebay, and did some google searching lol.

You will never guess what it was - I feel like the luckiest person alive.

Apparently, when it does this particular flashing pattern and doesn't boot up one of the things to check is there is a little microswitch on the bulb door... My bulb door apparently is a little worn or something since it wasn't making that switch - it has a little probe that makes the switch when the door is screwed shut, I had to tape a little extension onto mine to get it to make the switch reliably.

So, $5 and some tape later and it works fine again!

0TransAm0
04-07-2010, 07:28 PM
and a repair shop would have probably charged easily $500 to fix it...

Silver86
04-08-2010, 05:55 AM
lucky man!