PDA

View Full Version : Oil Spill on the Great Barrier Reef? REALLY?

pOrk
04-05-2010, 08:21 PM
What a moron, should be hung.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/asia/la-fg-australia-reef5-2010apr05,0,3324015.story?track=rss

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/australiaandthepacific/australia/7556308/Salvage-experts-assess-ship-grounded-on-Great-Barrier-Reef.html

Reverend Cooper
04-05-2010, 08:23 PM
Anyone else think its on purpose,and like maybe the oil will have lead mixed in it also somehow

awsomeears
04-05-2010, 08:44 PM
That's sad I hope they clean it up and save what they can :(

Yooformula
04-05-2010, 08:59 PM
what a fucking idiot!

Lash
04-05-2010, 09:18 PM
Anyone else think its on purpose

I wouldn't put it past em....

GTSLOW
04-05-2010, 11:03 PM
Oh wow I just heard about this. No matter what they do this will have a permanent effect :(

ND4SPD
04-06-2010, 01:29 PM
Bah, this is why it's better to have foreign countries drilling off our shores... they're so much more careful than our own oil companies. Plus, it's so much easier to hold some Russian or Chinese company accountable for environmental damage than those pesky US companies.

animal
04-06-2010, 01:33 PM
But oil makes pretty rainbows on the surface of the water! :goof

Turbo-Triumph
04-06-2010, 02:45 PM
this is very sad. =( He just wrecked the largest of the most rarest occuring things on earth. I bet it will NEVER EVER be the same again. GAWD thats awful! Just think about how much this guy just destroyed, i bet it will possibly tottally extict some species of corral, and possibly fish.

Prince Valiant
04-06-2010, 02:55 PM
I hope it kills all the great white sharks.

In all seriousness, this is reading to not be so bad...
[LIST]
The ship is in no danger of breaking apart...at least that's what was said as of today
It was a coal ship, not an oil tanker, so little has escaped
It's far from land and shore, where it'd be the most harmful
What has spilled is fairly easy to clean up by comparison

Not saying "it's all good" but that it should be okay it seems.

Al
04-06-2010, 02:59 PM
Im also curious as to what part of the boat the oil came from and how much. The boat hit head on but the engine is in the stern.

IcePickFreak
04-06-2010, 03:07 PM
Yeah this is horrible, and most likely they'll get a relative slap on the wrist if anything for being 15 miles off their course and running into something that can be seen from space. I kept marine tanks, both fish only and reefs, up until a couple years ago. If I were to have poured 5 gallons of anything other than water properly prepped in my reef tank it would take an hour or two at most for every and anything in the tank to be dead. Scale that up almost infinitely and make that additive one of the worst things you could come up with and here we are.

HITMAN
04-06-2010, 11:08 PM
I'm not an enviro-weenie by any stretch of the imagination, but diving on the GBR is on my bucket list because of what an awesome place it is. When this becomes MY planet (and rest assured, someday it will...:D) this fuck-up earns China one UGM-133A Trident II slbm with a full payload of 6 W-88 warheads right over the top of Beijing. I feel this will enhance their attention span and their eyesight. Fuckin' Chi-coms...:chair:

Al
04-07-2010, 01:20 AM
Hitman, quit over reacting.

But why would China want to attack the Great Barrier Reef? Australia and China have a very strong relationship, both diplomatic and economic.

I'm guessing that Australia will initially front the bill to clean it up, but the Chinese company will be forced to repay the amount + additional fees. As for the ship captain, he will probably be publicly humiliated in Beijing for his actions.