PDA

View Full Version : Garage Floor Coatings?

badass88gt
04-05-2010, 12:19 AM
Looking at coating a floor in my new garage, I want that nice smooth "epoxy" coating. Whats the hot ticket for this, and any tips? Is this a do-it-yourself project? It will be new concrete, I wont be driving on it until after its coated. This is a standard 2 car garage, how much material do I need? Thanks-Dan

JOHN 86GT
04-05-2010, 04:43 AM
Info here http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20

05caddyext
04-05-2010, 11:31 AM
Unless you have done this before I highly recommend that you don't try this by yourself. You will be redoing it without a doubt. You need to etch the concrete for it to adhere it properly, which everyone skips.

juicedimpss
04-05-2010, 12:46 PM
ive had good results doing it myself. as posted above,you need to etch the concrete for the paint to stick. I used muriatic acid.

badass88gt
04-05-2010, 12:50 PM
Yeah I'm seeing that most guys have had good luck with it when properly prepped, seems another key ingredient is a vapor barrier under the slab to prevent peeling.

moels
04-05-2010, 01:39 PM
Make sure you apply it heavy enough as well. My floor turned out great but overtime it wore away because I went way to light on the coat. I want to do mine again this summer sometime. It should last you if you use the whole kit.

05caddyext
04-05-2010, 04:42 PM
You NEVER want to install any type of vapor barrier over concrete... Concrete is pourous. You will be sealing the top but not the bottom which will create an area where mold WILL eventually grow.

badass88gt
04-05-2010, 05:49 PM
I said UNDER the slab......

05caddyext
04-05-2010, 06:46 PM
you would not want to put a vapor barrier on top of or under a slab. concrete has water in it. its porous. you would be trapping moisture inside the vapor barrier which would cause mold.

badass88gt
04-05-2010, 10:24 PM
Are you in the masonry industry? Everyone else I've talked to including a friend of mine who runs a masonry business for 15+ years says to absolutely use a vapor barrier underneath the concrete to prevent moisture from seeping up through the slab and under the epoxy, causing the coating to peel.

animal
04-06-2010, 08:54 AM
Along these lines, anyone know if they make an epoxy covering that has a sandpaperesque feel to it? I've seen pool decks that are almost like an epoxy coat that has sand in it so it's not too slippery when wet. I want to get my garage floor done in gloss black but I dont want it to be slippery in winter when the cars come in all wet.

05caddyext
04-06-2010, 09:35 AM
You can get epoxy garage floor paint in any color. You would also be able to add texture if you wanted to.

animal
04-06-2010, 09:38 AM
That's sweet. I'm all over that if that's the case.

PureSound15
04-06-2010, 10:16 AM
Animal there is something called "chips" that you can put in it, kind of like the sand texture that you can use to paint walls.

I used it 5+ years ago and don't remember the details, but remember that we used it in a 10x10 area by a door to prevent slipping.

Junky Giorgio
04-06-2010, 10:33 AM
Info here http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20

Thanks for sharing that site. I've spent the past hour reading all about properly coating your garage floor now haha

animal
04-06-2010, 10:40 AM
Animal there is something called "chips" that you can put in it, kind of like the sand texture that you can use to paint walls.

I used it 5+ years ago and don't remember the details, but remember that we used it in a 10x10 area by a door to prevent slipping.

Did it work well and turn out nice?

PureSound15
04-06-2010, 11:28 AM
Did it work well and turn out nice?

Yeah it worked perfectly. I guess we did it right by etching the concrete (which was easy, so I guess I'm not sure why anyone would pay someone to do it). It's very obvious on the one side where we layed it down kind of thin because we were running out. Definitely plan on using more than you'd think.

animal
04-06-2010, 01:21 PM
Yeah it worked perfectly. I guess we did it right by etching the concrete (which was easy, so I guess I'm not sure why anyone would pay someone to do it). It's very obvious on the one side where we layed it down kind of thin because we were running out. Definitely plan on using more than you'd think.

Actually I'm planning on having it done. I got the hookup :deal. Trading computer work for garage floor work.

I jsut wasn't sure what the options were. I know they have the fleck you can throw down for patterns but I thought that was under the clearcoat and that it didn't provide any friction modification to the surface.