PDA

View Full Version : Help me figure out an odd vibration...

Fast95Stang
04-04-2010, 10:33 PM
Ever since I put my 347 in last fall I have had a vibration mainly in the shifter handle. (I realize some vibration is normal but this is excessive) It vibrates sitting still, in gear or out of gear, clutch in or out, and it changes in relation to engine RPM. It will also vibrate (worse) in gear, moving, while on the throttle, also changing with RPM. 1st, 2nd, and 3rd are worse than 4th and 5th, 5th is a little bit worse than 4th (I'm assuming its because 4th is a 1:1 ratio). It does still vibrate, but not as much, while coasting down in gear with the clutch engaged. Sometimes it seems like the shifter isn't vibrating as much, but than I can tell the dash & heat vents are vibrating. I tried "relaxing" the engine/ trans mounts (ie: loosen the mounts and drive it forward then reverse), that didn't help at all.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!!

venm4u97
04-06-2010, 01:25 AM
everything with the driveshaft ok?

spooln30
04-06-2010, 03:09 AM
I would look toward the motor mounts or the trans mount. Don't get the relaxing part. But if it does it when ur sitting still it's prob not the drive shaft. Maybe the cluch not being balanced, or if there's a worn shifter bushing. Also maybe something with the exhaust. Is it hard mounted anywhere. That could transfer to the shifter. Last possible thing I can think of would be a worn bearing in the trans. Unlikely but anything is possible. Good luck.

Reverend Cooper
04-06-2010, 07:35 PM
i would look at the poss. of the wrong dampner,or the dampner coming apart if its a stock one, or the wrong weighted flysheel,I would look at the vibration dampner first tho,if its the stock one they are known for issues.